1080 vs. 1440

Hi,

I am thinking about to upgrade from an 1080p display to a 1440p display. Both 34" ultarwide. So I am asking myself if the increased resolution will be an advantage or disadvantage in DCS? Obviously the increased resolution will result in a higher GPU load. This I can handle by adjusting visual effects.

But is there anything else what will be affected?

Any positive or negative impact on spotting planes or ground units?

Thank you!

some people report greater difficulty spotting visually the higher the resolution... YMMV

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I wouldn't spend money on a 1080p display today.

Going 1080p myself to a 1440p is imo a no brainer with not that much of an increase in resolution to power while gaining nearly as much as going 4k but far easier on a GPU.

Just because DCS has an issue with the spotting, meaning it's considered a problem, meaning it will be fixed one day I wouldn't put to much weight on it.

If you ever do anything besides DCS on your computer like most here, even if it's just your online banking the increased resolution and increased readability is substantial.

To be frank though I couldn't comment to much on this game and a 1440p ultra wide since I have never played this game outside of VR.

So con might be considered DCs spotting, I think they have been working on it.

The pro is: everything else you might use the monitor for.

Including anything in DCS inside 15 miles.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

just went to 34 uwhd @ 1440. didnt change settings (other than reso) still getting solid frames, crisper image, spotting is still a dcs problem.

i stayed pancake due to helios and touch screen as well as the associated gear, (monitor arm, tir etc ) would be made redundant with vr and too much wasted cash.

I'm loving the UW for dcs and all other things. ymmv.

Action After Contemplation

Well - a 1440p monitor almost doubles the number of pixels vs 1080p (2,1M vs 3,7M). So yes - that is more noticable than one might think.

I bought an Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27 inch 1440p monitor a year ago and I love it coming from a good 1080p monitor. Night and day. And above 24 inch, you really start to see the pixels in a 1080p monitor...

I never play any simulators on it though - My Valve Index is my real "precious" ;)

Edited by mazex

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

I am thinking about to upgrade from an 1080p display to a 1440p display. Both 34" ultarwide. So I am asking myself if the increased resolution will be an advantage or disadvantage in DCS?

Contrary to other answers, since, according to you, the main reason you're buying the new screen is for DCS, do not buy anything but 1080.

You're buying the screen for now and not for some possible point in the future when ED shall maybe fix the visibility issue.

As it is, I heavily tested my 32" 2K visibility in DCS and then I just changed the screen's resolution in windows to 1080 and...was shocked.

You see other aircrafts at least twice as good, both regarding initial spotting distance and details (nose and wings position).

It is that good that flying a 2K screen in an A2A human environment puts you in a HUGE disadvantage.

So...although 1080 doesn't make sense in 2020, sadly, for DCS, for the forceable future, do not buy anything but.

jgVplRQ.png

• 3 months later...

Used to play on a 1920x1080 and always sucked at seeing and id–ing aircraft in flightsims. VR was even worse so after upgrading to vive pro was still not enough I finally went back to TrackIR. Nice for my FPS at least and I gifted myself a 49inch with 1440 vertically. Finding planes went down the drain completley for me since then. Yesterday I did. Somerset tests baut strangly there was not so much of a difference between 5xxx x 1440 and 1920x1080 used on a 7nm distant F5. Andy more ideas on this topic?

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Imo, 1440 is the sweet spot between performance and clarity. The resolution is definitely sharper than 1080, but doesn'f hit Fps nearly as much as 4k. Unless your screen is really big, at a normal viewing distance the resolution increases matter less anyway, so...

Consider me a vote for 1440p, the resolution of champions! :p I had no trouble spotting another Harrier at 8nm with it. Imo, I think people overlook aircraft from time to time and blame their resolution. While there was a timeframe where it seemed contrast was really poor and aircraft were really indistinct even relatively close, that has not been the case for me for a long time. Imo, resolution is not a substantial factor in your visibility at this time.

Keep in mind some aircraft are smaller than others (like the above mentioned F-5) and aspect matters a lot. The F-5 headon is going to be very hard to detect at distance unless you're qued to his presence somehow. On the other hand in profile, or against a larger aircraft, it will be much easier. It's not a ''one size fits all'' proposition, and I think people spend waaay too much time fretting about it instead of just playing ;)

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Yea much of it is true. Still, DCS shows strange behaviour sometimes. F.ex. aircraft popping OUT when zooming in even further. As I said, I suck at finding - even in real life (PPL) but I see more in IL2 BOX and I _think_ I saw more on my old monitor. I need to keep an eye on it (haha!) before I can conclude. Phil Styles video, several threads and even gifs about this issue at least make me pay attention to the subject

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Regarding units popping OUT as you zoom in, that's not a ''DCS spotting issue'' that's a ''the 3d model is glitching/missing a LoD''. I don't know if you know what a LoD is, but it's ''level of detail''. The 3d model you see up close is not the same as you see at 100m or 1000m, this saves on resources. However, if somebody made a mistake in declaring render ranges like (10m, 100m, 500m, 1000m) or the model is missing a level altogether, this can cause it to DERENDER as opposed to ''switching to a lower detail model''.

In such cases you should note the exact unit, approximate range it occured, and make a bug report. Units should never completely derender except at extreme range.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Well yea, I know it has different technical reasons but from a user‘s perspective it’s just another indicator you can’t always rely on what you see in DCS. Didn’t know it should be reported though