EDM EXPORTER for Blender 2.8

tobi

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Copprhead:

Open the blender system console before you export to see more error information.

Window ‣ Toggle System Console

The console doesn't give any additional information - please see below:

Error_Export_Console.jpg

The popup does give some though. Unfortunately I cannot interprete these messages correctly to find the problem - @tobi / @Grajo - could you please have a quick look what these Errors indicate?

Thank you very much in advance

vor 5 Stunden schrieb tobi:

You are trying to export a Skinnode. How did you create the weights? Did you follow the the readme instructions for that?

Hi @tobi , I simply used the export function. This is a commercial cockpit product from Turbosquid. Is there anything I should modify? 

EDIT: I used the „render node“ option for the objects

Edited by 1MajorKoenig

The screenshot says something about a skinnode. I would say you have to go through all the objects and check which of them causes the problem. You could do that by changing one by one from none to rendernode. It is very likely that you have to adapt something if you just download a model and want to put that to dcs. For example texture names, animations, arguments and so on. I don't think that any of the models you can download or buy is prepared for DCS.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb tobi:

The screenshot says something about a skinnode. I would say you have to go through all the objects and check which of them causes the problem. You could do that by changing one by one from none to rendernode. It is very likely that you have to adapt something if you just download a model and want to put that to dcs. For example texture names, animations, arguments and so on. I don't think that any of the models you can download or buy is prepared for DCS.

Thanks will do. However is there a limitation of number of objects?

Am 16.1.2022 um 23:04 schrieb tobi:

Hi Tobi, that is exactly what I try to do -adjust this downloaded model so it can be used in a DCS mod. And thank you very much, I found the one object which was set wrong to Skinnode instead of render node (it was literally one out of a couple of hundreds). I also added material to the objects without a material and at least the export does a partial export:

model_Viewer_cockpit.jpg

However I am getting plenty of errors still - do you know what I need to do to correct this here:

Error_Export_3_no_tri_or_quad.jpg

Thank you all for your help!

2 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Hi Tobi, that is exactly what I try to do -adjust this downloaded model so it can be used in a DCS mod. And thank you very much, I found the one object which was set wrong to Skinnode instead of render node (it was literally one out of a couple of hundreds). I also added material to the objects without a material and at least the export does a partial export:

model_Viewer_cockpit.jpg

However I am getting plenty of errors still - do you know what I need to do to correct this here:

Error_Export_3_no_tri_or_quad.jpg

Thank you all for your help!

The mesh of these objects have a face with more than 3 or 4 edges.

Select the object, go if I edit mode and use https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/meshes/selecting/all_by_trait.html#faces-by-sides to find the faces with more than 4 edges. For these faces use "face > triangulate faces".

• Thanks 1

Am 18.1.2022 um 01:48 schrieb Copprhead:

The mesh of these objects have a face with more than 3 or 4 edges.

Select the object, go if I edit mode and use https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/meshes/selecting/all_by_trait.html#faces-by-sides to find the faces with more than 4 edges. For these faces use "face > triangulate faces".

Thank you so much - thanks to all the good advices here I could bring down the endless list of errors to some few (of which the ones with the 3 or 4 faces are just missed previously - I corrected them now). There is one more set of errors which seems to be tied to these strange groups. Does anyone know what the best way to deal with that would be?

Error_Export_part_3_parents.jpg

21 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Thank you so much - thanks to all the good advices here I could bring down the endless list of errors to some few (of which the ones with the 3 or 4 faces are just missed previously - I corrected them now). There is one more set of errors which seems to be tied to these strange groups. Does anyone know what the best way to deal with that would be?

Error_Export_part_3_parents.jpg

Most likely you just forgot to assign them to the armature. 

To give you a glimpse of what new objects I was able to make 'DCS ready' with the Exporter and with all your help here, you may watch my teaser video in the new thread:

Many thanks again! You'll hear me holler here once I take the next step: animated objects.😇

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:39 PM, 1MajorKoenig said:

There is one more set of errors which seems to be tied to these strange groups.

I must confess I never managed to assign objects in groups to an armature. I always prepare files in Cinema4D and export them in a totally flat hierarchy, no groups, collections or anything like that. I'm quite certain I could do the same in Blender, I just haven't found out (yet) how to do so. I hope you've found a solution how to deal with objects in groups and I'm very interested to hear about it! Cinema is so easy in this respect, it's simple drag and drop into and out of groups/collections...

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 11:04 PM, tobi said:

I don't think that any of the models you can download or buy is prepared for DCS.

No, certainly not. Turbosquid is a very mixed bag. You find everything, from beautiful designed highpoly meshes that come in a well organized structure with properly named texture (and even separate NRM and SPEC files) and some 'game ready' with up to five LODs until 'spaghetti' packs with meshes just numbered up. One model I bought was almost entirely in Chinese font, meshes and materials. All that was legible for me were some numbers. Actually, Blender and DCS seemed to not mind...
If models come with an FBX or OBJ file, one usually can open them in Blender quite well. But the proper organization and naming is key for the migration. Whether it takes just one day or several days. Or weeks...

@1MajorKoenig If you ─ like me until a couple of days ago ─ fight with hundreds of objects that need to have 'RenderNode' activated and don't know how to do that in a one-click-operation, Blender's 'trick' for changing properties of multiple objects is the ALT-Key. Select all objects you want to activate for render, and then ─ with either one of the ALT keys pressed ─ open the dropdown and choose value. Never mind if you knew that already.

• Thanks 1

vor 13 Stunden schrieb J-1775:

hope you've found a solution how to deal with objects in groups and I'm very interested to hear about it!

Yes I simply removed the hierarchy. I think it did the trick but since I messed up the model while trying to rotate it and change the position I am not 100% sure….

I had to change the position as it didn’t fit into the cockpit slot in DCS.

Next time I will try to rotate and position it first before I do all the modifications needed to export the model 😒

vor 3 Stunden schrieb J-1775:

you ─ like me until a couple of days ago ─ fight with hundreds of objects that need to have 'RenderNode' activated and don't know how to do that in a one-click-operation, Blender's 'trick' for changing properties of multiple objects is the ALT-Key. Select all objects you want to activate for render, and then ─ with either one of the ALT keys pressed ─ open the dropdown and choose value. Never mind if you knew that already.

Thank you very much - I didn’t know… and it will speed up the second attempt for sure! 

If I can handle the objects with missing material in same way would cut the editing really short.

Btw. Is there also a simple trick to rotate the object without moving some parts out of place (as if they rotate around a different axis…)?

On 1/28/2022 at 1:11 PM, 1MajorKoenig said:

Yes I simply removed the hierarchy. I think it did the trick

You indeed managed to move objects out of their group? With drag'n'drop or by some menu? Flatening the hierarchy is the part where I always have to open C4D.
EDIT: seems like pressed SHIFT enables drag'n'drop of objects in and out of groups/collections. Must further investigate...

On 1/28/2022 at 1:11 PM, 1MajorKoenig said:

Btw. Is there also a simple trick to rotate the object without moving some parts out of place (as if they rotate around a different axis…)?

This is another strang thing. Sometimes I can apply the same trick, that is: selecting ALL objects in object mode, pressing ALT and entering new scale values for all 3 axis in the properties.
Whenever this does not work (the model 'explodes') I select all objects, go in Layout mode, activate the Scale tool on the left side menu, pick the inner white ring and scale the model without any undesired exploding parts. While you change the white circle you will see the the actual scale value in the top left corner. It is a bit tricky to get the desired value, especially after the comma and may need some trial and patience.

Edited by J-1775

Am 28.1.2022 um 22:35 schrieb J-1775:

You indeed managed to move objects out of their group? With drag'n'drop or by some menu? Flatening the hierarchy is the part where I always have to open C4D.
EDIT: seems like pressed SHIFT enables drag'n'drop of objects in and out of groups/collections. Must further investigate...

NVM

EDIT: I can't find these objects after removing the link.. better you do something else

Edited by 1MajorKoenig