EDM EXPORTER for Blender 2.8

tobi

Now I have to ask another stupi question: in the intro video the author states that linking textures is very easy but his model also appears without textures after the export. 

Now: given I do see the correct textures in blender applied - and there seem to be multiple in the model I try to convert into DCS… how do I set them up for the EDM?

• 1 month later...

I just had problems installing EDM Exporter as an addon for Blender 3.1.
When installing the EDM Zip via the Blender Addon Manager, the folder structure was defined incorrectly.
After I had moved the subfolder, the addon could be activated.😀

edm Exporter 3.1.png

Edited by Bex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/29/2022 at 10:26 PM, Tanuki44 said:

A quick question to the experts 

For DCS performance, for a surface object:

Is it better to do not manage the surface normals and use the "Two sides" option or correctly orient the normals and uncheck this option ?

Thanks

A bit late and Im no expert, but two sides means that the computer has to render two times the amount of triangles as I understand it. So for performance its best to put some time on managing the normals instead.

Edited by Fisherman82

I need some help here, the spolight option for lights, does the alfa value mean the opening angle vertically and the teta the angle in plan? And are the values supposed to be entered in degrees like 180 if you want it to shine like a half circle? Im asking because its vard to see I think, the light seems much less bright with spotlight checked regardless of brightness setting. What does distance mean by the way, I thought it meant for hoe many miles it was visible but that seems not to be the case.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, RokoG1911 said:

make new one for blender 3.1 this one doesnt work. terrible 1/10

works GREAT for me in 3.1...

Do you have specifics of what is wrong? general "terrible" comments do nothing to help the community or developer in making things better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RokoG1911 said:

make new one for blender 3.1 this one doesnt work. terrible 1/10

At least 1 and not 0/10. 😄Did you read the readme how to use it? Who did you just ask to make a new one?

On 5/22/2022 at 2:06 PM, Fisherman82 said:

@tobiyou get 10/10 from me, keep up your excellent job!

I'd give tobi a 10 as well, but I think of all the hours/days/weeks/more I could have been doing something else if @tobi's tool didn't exist. Instead, he gave us a great tool to create mods using Blender. Now I have been sucked into the rabbit hole of DCS modding and my free time is gone 🤣

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://github.com/hlorus/CAD_Sketcher

Constraint-based sketcher addon for Blender that allows to create precise 2d shapes by defining a set of geometric constraints like tangent, distance, angle, equal and more. Sketches stay editable and support a fully non-destructive workflow.

⚠️ Experimental addon: This is still work in progress, don't use it on production files without a backup.

Minimum version: Blender 2.92

Edited by Hawkeye60
  • Thanks 1

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

• 3 weeks later...

Hey tobi, thanks for your work.

I'm facing somewhat of a bizarre problem - my model is exported, with a wrong rotation and dimensions. I've fixed those by resetting the pivot point to the center of the world, and dimensions in Scene-Units-Unit scale, saved the model as a new file. I've ensured that the new bounding box has correct dimensions in Blender. After export to EDM (runs without errors) I'm getting the old rotation values + old dimensions. This is Blender 3.0.0.0, I tried 1.0.7 and 1.0.8 addon versions.

Thanks!

Edited by necr

4 hours ago, necr said:

I'm facing somewhat of a bizarre problem - my model is exported, with a wrong rotation and dimensions.

you might need to check your objects and armatures for any unapplied transformations (rotations, scaling, movement). If you have any, apply them before exporting

• 1 month later...

I did not use Gumroad, just installed like others plugin in Blender

• Download the ZIP archive (do not unpack it after downloading)
  • Open Blender and go to: Edit > Preferences > Add-ons > Press "Install..." button
  • Browse to the location of the ZIP and select it, then press "Install Add-on"
  • Enable the addon by pressing the checkbox

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I am currently working on a helicopter, but it is flying backwards....
Hence the question, does anyone of you know how to turn the helicopter around (in the script or in Blender).

And another question, what do the coordinates reffer to, the Blender coordinate system?

39 minutes ago, Tomcat-Flyer said:

Hey guys,

I am currently working on a helicopter, but it is flying backwards....
Hence the question, does anyone of you know how to turn the helicopter around (in the script or in Blender).

And another question, what do the coordinates reffer to, the Blender coordinate system?

see the excellent series of videos posted earlier in this thread by @DoctorStrop (youtube Fireblaze) If you look at the video "Blender to DCS World - Part 72 (exporting and setting up for 2.82)" around the 14 minute mark you will see how the armature bones need to be oriented in relation to your model.

Edited by prccowboy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I'm trying my first DCS modding + Blender modeling ...
Now bone animated parts' exporting is troubled with Blender + EDM exporter.
Someone know the cause ?

I've succeeded no animation single object exporting and using my own model in DCS World.
Next I separate some parts --- Nose wheel + Nose gear bay doors --- and attach them to each bones for animation.
Those parts look well in Blender screen and its animation is also OK.
But in DCS World with exported .edm , all separated parts are jumped to the unit's center location (0, 0, 0) ... sigh ...

20220915dcsBlenderQ1.jpg20220915dcsBlenderQ2.jpg

( Fuselage 3d model is disabled for exporting to show the centered parts in DCSW. )

--- added on 16th/Sep.

Each Bones' "Relative Parenting" might be missed.
Checking on/off that box brings children parts jumped in Blender.
I'll try to build all bones from zero.

Edited by western_JPN
add probably cause

Modules: A-10C/II, F-5E, F-14A/B, F-15E, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, FC3, Ka-50-2/3, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, SA342, Mi-24P, AH-64D, P-51D
Maps: Nevada, PG, Syria, SA, Sinai, Channel, Normandy2.0      Assets etc.: CA, Sc, WW2AP
Mods and Skins in User Files: files/filter/user-is-western0221/ 

Screen_221018_005618c.jpg