Radio Procedures?

AG-51_Razor

FWIW, from looking at the early access manual, I think that at 3/4 of a mile it might be a bit difficult acknowledge the ball call via the radio menu/F5/Stennis menu..

It might just be easier to script it so that if the player is (mostly) wings level, and at 3/4 of a mile, looking forward that it will either happen automatically, or at least be bindable to a key or joystick button..

I agree. Or just let us assign it to a button.

The updated manual draft posted by Wags confirms that "All radio functions for the carrier (i.e. Marshal, Approach, Tower and LSO) will use this single frequency".

I still hope they consider allowing (even as an option) more realistic frequency changes at a later point. Currently, the Marshal telling us "approach button is [CHANNEL]" (or argualy "go tower") doesn't make sense.

My guess is that we will not hear the communication of the other aircraft which is unfortunate.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

The manual says this:

Not much point if there's only one frequency!

There isn't much point to any of the artificial communications with the carrier or air field ATC. It is rote repetition of meaningless communication with no purpose.

One of the first tenets of proper radio communication is that the message must have a useful purpose for the receiver. If it doesn't, the communication is unnecessary and should not be transmitted. The receiver in this case is software that already knows everything you know.

It is much like the milsim tards who broadcast inanities in the effort to sound "cool". For example, calling bullseye coordinates for kills, something done in training to let the "killed" know they are dead. Something obviously unnecessary in an online game or simulation where the dead guy (AI or Human) knows he is dead.

I hear all sorts of this stuff in game and I understand the desire of humans to at least attempt human to human radio communication, even if a lot of it is unnecessary fluff.

I do not understand the desire to be forced into a rote series of artificial "radio" calls and frequency changes in order to land an airplane. It is one of the most annoying "features", having the game constantly telling you to hold position or unable to clear for takeoff or the other gibberish. I wish I could turn it all off and folks want more of it.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

There isn't much point to any of the artificial communications with the carrier or air field ATC. It is rote repetition of meaningless communication with no purpose.

Not if its done correctly. If the AI is, say, smart enough to marshal players on an MP server, that would be far from meaningless.

I just hope that carrier's systems, lights, etc. can be configured "independent" of built-in generic comms. Some groups will probably setup their own TS (or whatever) channels for their activities, some might even have controllers and a Boss for extra fun:D

I'd be pissed I wasn't able to control lights for instance, regardless of how... ME, keyboard.

So far, for some weird reason there was no option to keep them on (daytime caseIII:mad:)

Edited by Gripes323
typo

One of the first tenets of proper radio communication is that the message must have a useful purpose for the receiver. If it doesn't, the communication is unnecessary and should not be transmitted. The receiver in this case is software that already knows everything you know.

It is much like the milsim tards who broadcast inanities in the effort to sound "cool". For example, calling bullseye coordinates for kills, something done in training to let the "killed" know they are dead. Something obviously unnecessary in an online game or simulation where the dead guy (AI or Human) knows he is dead.

I hear all sorts of this stuff in game and I understand the desire of humans to at least attempt human to human radio communication, even if a lot of it is unnecessary fluff.

I do not understand the desire to be forced into a rote series of artificial "radio" calls and frequency changes in order to land an airplane. It is one of the most annoying "features", having the game constantly telling you to hold position or unable to clear for takeoff or the other gibberish. I wish I could turn it all off and folks want more of it.

I'm sorry but what an absolutely nonesense answer.

You do realise that this is all make believe don't you? - from the moment you double click on the DCS desktop icon its all just smoke and mirrors with pixels thrown onto a 2d or VR screen.

DCS is a very different product for a whole variety of customers. Some love the flight modelling, some the systems, others the fictional battles, I could go on and on.

Personally for me, DCS is first and foremost a flight simulator and frankly, without the proper interaction with ATC, Marshal, LSO, Tower or whoever, it remains sadly lacking in meeting "my" personal preferences.

If DCS meets your needs completely then that's great. But please don't argue against features other want from a flight sim which are not currently implemented. You already have part of what you need anyway. Just disable flight reports and subtitles and ignore the "comms" that does exist.

Obviously if your arguement is for it to be done fully, or not at all, thats a different arguement entirely.

Kind Regards,

Gary

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

My guess is that we will not hear the communication of the other aircraft which is unfortunate.

Can you imagine getting Paddles calls and 10 other birds reporting on the same channel just because they can and... they love chatting when you need absolute focus!

If that's the case ED needs to include quick and angry call from the Paddles or the Boss:

"On the ball!!!":mad:

Just asked for this again. I hope it becomes something they consider, especially with the amount of people calling for realistic ATC.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

And it was answered. It's not happening. Everything will be using "easy comms" now. Awesome. That should satisfy the customer base looking to have realistic ATC at airfields also. SMH.

You are right, that's not what she said. LOL.

Originally Posted by Bloodhound57 View Post

Kate,

Will this extra time give the developers time to implement realistic comms for the Super Carrier module? A good number of customers are calling for realistic ATC. Putting Marshall, Approach, and Tower on the same channel is not realistic. The user should have to tune into these channels.

Thank you.

Thank you for the question. We will not add additional features. The development of Early Access list is completed.

We are working on the issues that stop us from delivering.

Kate Perederko is online now Report Post

Kate,

Will this extra time give the developers time to implement realistic comms for the Super Carrier module? A good number of customers are calling for realistic ATC. Putting Marshall, Approach, and Tower on the same channel is not realistic. The user should have to tune into these channels.

I do completely agree !

It's gonna be a real mess on the only radio channel when in multiplayer more than 6 planes will come back together for recovery !!! :(:cry::doh:

It's really a pity to hear that change !!

Please, consider a way to make it back to a more realistic status with different channels ... even if it's not done at the first release ...

The realistic MultiPlayer ATC of the SuperCarrier for Case I, II & III Recoveries is THE MOST important feature for us to be able to live nice MP Naval Ops missions with ours squads !!!

Good new 3D model, moving Deck Crews in the Catapult process, etc... are nice good looking features (no problem, it's cool) ... but they are not essential for the ability to fly good MP Naval Ops Missions with a whole squad of team mates !

Edited by RaiderOne

You may have missed this important part

Kate,

Thank you.

Thank you for the question. We will not add additional features. The development of Early Access list is completed.

We are working on the issues that stop us from delivering.

Kate Perederko is online now Report Post

So, no, it won't be added to the EA release. That's not the same as saying it won't be added further down the line, which is what we are talking about and hoping here.

Given the ammount of time modules exist in EA format - presently measured in years for complex items (and ATC has been said to be complex) I'd guess we are a very very long way off having the updated comms overhaul added.

Regards,

Gary

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

You would think that this would have been on the original Super Carrier items list because they are selling the product with upgraded comms. It was also stated that the carrier comms were being updated then they would move to the airfield. I'm sure that that non-naval folk would not like ground on the tower frequency.

Wait and see, I guess.

+1. I hope they'll add it in the not too distant. Realistic carrier comms was one of the advertised features and I'd very much like to see it for the finished SC module, at least. They said they were working on integrating the AI too, so this would matter for SP as well.

Alerax's script does this already up to a point. It'd be really nice to have something similar natively.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Indeed! I thought one of the MAJOR points of the Supercarrier module was going to be realistic comms/ATC which would ultimately be ported to groundside airfields too...

Not going to lie - was one of the key reasons I bought it in EA.

If its just pretty graphics/animations and extra spawn points for MPers...what's the point of it?

Edited by jasonbirder
Being petulant!

Airbag_signatur.png

Upgraded coms where the number one reason I purchased this. Just to see have a glimpse of what probably would trickle down to standard ATC later on. So I'm pretty extremely disappointed and now I just don't care that it is delayed. Actually, I don't care if they release it all. And I ain't gonna be crybaby and ask for refunds or v whatever. It didn't really cost more than a Sixpack anyway.

But I'll say this.

And I'll cheer and root for you MP and Naval dudes. I hope for you that the SC will be perfect and give you everything you hope for!

And a big thanks ED for extending try outs and eval period the coming month.

@Wags

@Kate Perederko

@BIGNEWY

@NineLine

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk