Radio Procedures?

AG-51_Razor

Indeed! I thought one of the MAJOR points of the Supercarrier module was going to be realistic comms/ATC which would ultimately be ported to groundside airfields too...

Not going to lie - was one of the key reasons I bought it in EA.

If its just pretty graphics/animations and extra spawn points for SPAAMRAMers...what's the point of it?

Lol, you beat me to i!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I think that's a bit harsh. While I am a big proponent of the separate freqs for the various controllers we will be talking to, I would not go so far as to say that this is the be all or end all of the Super Carrier module. I am sure that the animated crewmen on the deck will add tremendous value to your simulated carrier experience, not to mention all the different positions you will be able to occupy and interact with the other players or the ship itself. And don't forget the increased number of spawn points available. This is just a minor slip backwards after a huge pull forwards. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they eventually come around and put these different frequencies in the ME for us to use. Be patient :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think that's a bit harsh. While I am a big proponent of the separate freqs for the various controllers we will be talking to, I would not go so far as to say that this is the be all or end all of the Super Carrier module. I am sure that the animated crewmen on the deck will add tremendous value to your simulated carrier experience, not to mention all the different positions you will be able to occupy and interact with the other players or the ship itself. And don't forget the increased number of spawn points available. This is just a minor slip backwards after a huge pull forwards. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they eventually come around and put these different frequencies in the ME for us to use. Be patient :thumbup:

This! :thumbup:

Think you sort of mist the point. I also neglected to write that I don't do MP, yet.

I would've got the SC anyway for several reasons, but like I wrote. I wanted to see what the new comms would bring to DCS. And what I could expect for ATC. To me now it seems like not really any progress at all. That's why I'm disappointed. The other features will probably be cool though.

I use VAICOM and it takes DCS to a whole new level, (disabling pilot voice, txt etc). But still, using plain vanilla Voice Attack on that other sim. Well, it just feel somewhat more immersive.

But don't worry! My glass is never half empty, and I'm sure we'll get there in the future, just never fast enough. Hehe

Cheers!

To me now it seems like not really any progress at all.

How is having full ATC from CATCC to LSO for CASE I/II/III (including assigned holding pattern and charlie time) no progress at all? Only because there will be one freq for all controllers? I'm sure ED will implement different frequencies at some point. But not having to change radio presets during approach is not really a showstopper IMO. Whether the AI will interact with CATCC is another question. But things are definitely going into the right direction.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

I hope they reconsider too.

Other than having the correct dimensions, realistic radio (ATC) was the major selling point for me. I assumed(yeah, my mistake) realistic meant all the different frequencies for the appropriate roles(tower,marshal,LSO,etc) in CV cyclic ops and CQ ops.

So does this mean I will hear ball calls/wave off/bolter, while I am inbound or in the marshal stack from other aircraft recovering?

Does this mean the same voice actor does tower.marshal,LSO? No gender or accent mix?

If so, how does it not step on other transmissions? For example: "You are signal ,bolter bolter bolter ....charlie"

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Edited by MonnieRock

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

There isn't much point to any of the artificial communications with the carrier or air field ATC. It is rote repetition of meaningless communication with no purpose.

One of the first tenets of proper radio communication is that the message must have a useful purpose for the receiver. If it doesn't, the communication is unnecessary and should not be transmitted. The receiver in this case is software that already knows everything you know.

It is much like the milsim tards who broadcast inanities in the effort to sound "cool". For example, calling bullseye coordinates for kills, something done in training to let the "killed" know they are dead. Something obviously unnecessary in an online game or simulation where the dead guy (AI or Human) knows he is dead.

I hear all sorts of this stuff in game and I understand the desire of humans to at least attempt human to human radio communication, even if a lot of it is unnecessary fluff.

I do not understand the desire to be forced into a rote series of artificial "radio" calls and frequency changes in order to land an airplane. It is one of the most annoying "features", having the game constantly telling you to hold position or unable to clear for takeoff or the other gibberish. I wish I could turn it all off and folks want more of it.

I respect your opinion. Easy comms (a game setting) is for people with similar opinions as you. Turn off all comms if you want.

To me, a HUGE part of aviation is managing the radios. It's one of the tasks. Civilian,commercial,military all have radios in the aircraft for a reason. I even listen to airport comms while I am surfing the web. It is interesting to me.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

How is having full ATC from CATCC to LSO for CASE I/II/III (including assigned holding pattern and charlie time) no progress at all? Only because there will be one freq for all controllers? I'm sure ED will implement different frequencies at some point. But not having to change radio presets during approach is not really a showstopper IMO. Whether the AI will interact with CATCC is another question. But things are definitely going into the right direction.
No, of course you are right about that.

And just like @MonnieRock would like different voice actors, and I assumed this would be implemented.

But, I've thought it over, and maybe the frequency thing is hard to do now, because the radios/frequencies are so heavily implemented in the core. So it would be really hard to change everything as of now. Could brake a lot of stuff for all I know.

But I'm crossing my fingers for the future.

DCS will only get better. I know that! And if I look back 3-4 years ago, when I got back to simming, it's actually pretty cool how this thing thrives. It's even cooler to read "old" posts and watch YT. It's pretty amazing how it has matured, and not in a slow pace.

So I am very happy user! And the future will only bring good stuff. It's not at all like when my favorite car manufacturer, removed crucial buttons into something stupid called iDrive.

I think that it is progress. But I am worried that we will only hear your own radio communications because of the amount of radio communication delivered during a Case III recovery cycle. Even when you are not flying, and you are in different positions on the boat, it would be great to tune to these specific frequencies.

ATC is something that most customers are calling for. Maybe address it now, so the groundwork is done for the airfield ATC. Just a thought, I know that ED has their hands full just trying to get the product out the door.

Steve

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I definitely thought comms were going to be implemented correctly with separate frequencies for different controlling agencies when I bought this as it was a major selling point. A bit surprised this is not the case.. even the tankers have a separate frequency in the game. I would have still bought the module regardless, but once again I feel a bit misled. Hopefully it will be implemented eventually. All that talk before about how ATC was really going to be implemented properly on the Supercarrier and then move to airbases.. we remember.

Anyways I will stop kicking them while they are down. I am sure the module will still be incredible like all their other products and I am rooting for its success!

• 1 month later...

This has to be a priority. The radio comms are so jumbled. Please add this ED!

Thanks,

Steve

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Hi,

I'm newbie in DCS but looking for the CATCC way in the supercarrier with faith X-) .

Why can't we implement it as IVAO does with his ATC software? Give us data, via export.lua (I think) as tacview does, with the air movements from 50-60nm around and we can implement an external view of the radar console with the planes position. The voice channeled via TS or Discord.

This is my project but I am very new and a total LUA ignorant.

Bye

Hi,

I'm newbie in DCS but looking for the CATCC way in the supercarrier with faith X-) .

Why can't we implement it as IVAO does with his ATC software? Give us data, via export.lua (I think) as tacview does, with the air movements from 50-60nm around and we can implement an external view of the radar console with the planes position. The voice channeled via TS or Discord.

This is my project but I am very new and a total LUA ignorant.

Bye

Hello!

This may provide what you're looking for https://www.lotatc.com/

• 7 months later...

From Friday‘s Newsletter:

DCS: Supercarrier

Most of our effort on the Supercarrier has been focused on creating the 3D environments for the Ready Room, Air Boss Station (PriFly), and the hangar deck. Other tasks for 2021 include plane directors to marshal aircraft to the catapults and off the landing area, the “burble”, deck crew light wands for night operations, unique radio channels for different controllers, and manual LSO control.

Seems we get a much more realistic radio procedure 👍

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/10/2021 at 9:55 PM, Weasel said:

From Friday‘s Newsletter:

“…unique radio channels for different controllers…”

Seems we get a much more realistic radio procedure 👍

Almost 3 years from this newsletter, and still nothing has changed re SuperCarrier ATC/Comms. Yes we have Case III now, but it’s all still on a single frequency, with fake/automatic frequency changes instead of requiring real pilot input.

ED, are we actually any closer to improvements? Sometimes newsletters statements just seem like EDs internal wish lists more than anything else.

Edited by norman99
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this seems like I'm beating a dead horse, but I am genuinely interested in the progress of this. Again, the Jan 8 2021 newsletter states both:

DCS: Supercarrier

Most of our effort on the Supercarrier has been focused on creating the 3D environments for the Ready Room, Air Boss Station (PriFly), and the hangar deck. Other tasks for 2021 include plane directors to marshal aircraft to the catapults and off the landing area, the “burble”, deck crew light wands for night operations, unique radio channels for different controllers, and manual LSO control.

And also:

Air Traffic Control (ATC)

Over the past year, our primary ATC focus has been on the Supercarrier. Now that the Supercarrier ATC system is nearing completion, we will next move on to airfield ATC radio communications. Given the scope of DCS World, this is not a simple task, and it will require three separate ATC systems: Western Modern Day, Eastern Modern Day, and World War II. Because this effort will require a large amount of new radio voice overs, we will also take this opportunity to update the radio communications for other entities like flight members, other flights, AWACS, tankers, etc

(Newsletter can be found here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/d5bb893019c9a8c047d07a678b211c55/)

Again, I'm not here to bash DCS or ED, and I will gladly acknowledge both the SuperCarrier features that have subsequently been implemented (night wands, burble, CASE III), as well as the enormous task that is re-writing the entire DCS ATC system.

However, as a passionate SuperCarrier customer, the stalled progress of the comms/ATC leaves me scratching my head. 3 years ago, it appeared we were so close to some significant improvements, specifically the introduction of unique controllers, (Red Crown, Marshall, Approach, Tower, LSO etc) all on their own frequency, with pilot interaction required to change to/from each. Unfortunately, since then, nothing has changed. We still have the simple, unrealistic single frequency, and automated "scripted" actions poorly simulating a small fraction of the actual ATC units, such as the current "switch tower" comm sequence.

If ED had already spent a year "focusing on SuperCarrier ATC" as specifically stated, and if it was "near completion", why hasn't there been any change in the subsequent 3 years?

With all due respect, what exactly was actually getting worked on?

Edited by norman99
  • Like 7

The time it’s taking to get this module finished is beyond frustrating. I don’t anticipate anything being added or done after they roll out the ready room which still has no timeframe. The Harrier module was what put me off of early access on 3rd party modules but the super carrier has stopped any early access purchases for me. Hopefully we will see some progress in 2024 for this module. 

• Like 3