VR ball acquisition

gengis

^^This. Also, it is not impossible to see the ball. If you're on the correct path & glidescope, you'd know what to look for.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

will the supercarrier be easier to see in VR (the IFOLS specifically) than the current Stennis? because it is impossible to see the ball in VR currently.

We need better VR :D

On ED's end, they can probably refine resolution of the ball. You would notice the difference when in the middle and in close. I'm talking about precision of ball movement not pixels. This subject has been brought up some time ago.

I'm fixing my Rift problem with a set of prescription lens inserts....

I don't wear inserts but I stubbornly refuse to tone down the PD setting from 2.0 even with recent degradation of performance. TBH I don't really see that much difference in 2.5.6 since I've been flying mostly in SP recently, in custom missions.

Would be nice to have an option to overlay the ball at the top left of the VR screen with a key depress - pref holding the button to see it

Using zoom disorientates IMO

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

• 2 weeks later...
Which set do you like better?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Danny, That's a good question.

Resolution: The Reverb is better. Not a lot but you can always read the MFDs if you are looking directly at them.

Setup: Rift S is easier and faster to setup.

Tracking: Never had any tracking issues with the Rift S because it has more cameras. The Reverb needs more careful setup to avoid some tracking issues. Having said that, i've never lost tracking in a dogfight once we either set

Colour: Reverb looks a bit washed out compared to the Rift S.

Comfort: Rift S is more comfortable than the Reverb. Feels like a more quality product.

FOV: Reverb should have a wider one in theory but I found the Rift S was better here too, at least for me.

Screen door effect: Rift S it is visible. Reverb almost entirely gone and I never really notice it to be honest.

Other: Reverb has some weird flicking when on the loading screen. I believe this is a Windows Mixed Reality issue.

In summary both of these headsets are fine and it would come down to your budget and PC spec. I love VR and will never go back to 2D / TrackIR.

One thing you can do for both is map the zoom to your HOTAS. I don't need it to spot the ball but at times it is handy for seeing ground targets.

Hope this helps.

Its better to have it for those with poor eyes , If you don't need you dont have to use it ;)

I think there is merit to that. A sim pilots we do have some disadvantages and having aids such as this is helpful. As you said, if you don't like it, switch it off.

I feel the same about AAR. Even though I can do it, for beginners having a "cheat" that allows them to refuel would be helpful.

Zooming is cheating- unless you do it through the LITENING pod and on a MFD? :-)

Edited by Marky146

Clevo P775TM1-G laptop with 9900K and RTX2080. Airliner pilot by day and keen simmer on days off.

Mark.

In summary both of these headsets are fine and it would come down to your budget and PC spec.

One other goofy thing I noticed is the Reverb doesn't have the main menu associated with one of the controller buttons right off the bat. I'm sure there is a way to set it up but no clue why this wasn't already done like on the Rift S. Speaking of the hand controllers I find them easier to work with on Rift S than the rather large Reverb ones. Especially for upside down right clicks.

Last bit I've noticed as a difference between the two is that the Reverb cable to the PC isn't as nice for moving around as the Rift S one is.

I love VR and will never go back to 2D / TrackIR.

This big time. Flying via TrackIR is disappointing after you have seen the goodness that is VR.

One other goofy thing I noticed is the Reverb doesn't have the main menu associated with one of the controller buttons right off the bat. I'm sure there is a way to set it up but no clue why this wasn't already done like on the Rift S. Speaking of the hand controllers I find them easier to work with on Rift S than the rather large Reverb ones. Especially for upside down right clicks.

Last bit I've noticed as a difference between the two is that the Reverb cable to the PC isn't as nice for moving around as the Rift S one is.

This big time. Flying via TrackIR is disappointing after you have seen the goodness that is VR.

Two good points I failed to mention. The Reverb's cable is very uncomfortable. Not a deal breaker by any means but the Rift's you never think about - it just stays out of your way.

I agree the Rift S has the better controller. However, I give this win to the Reverb as you don't need to use the controllers at all. Which I prefer. I only use my VR for DCS and don't play any other VR games (no time). However, if you do plan to play something else that needs controllers, then this may be a problem for you.

I agree the Rift S has the better controller. However, I give this win to the Reverb as you don't need to use the controllers at all. Which I prefer. I only use my VR for DCS and don't play any other VR games (no time). However, if you do plan to play something else that needs controllers, then this may be a problem for you.

Ah well I am the same. DCS only for my VR stuffs so perhaps it is just I don't have everything mapped to the HOTAS and I just used the left hand controller to do whatever in pit wasn't configured to the HOTAS. I started with the Rift S and bought the Reverb later so I noticed the hand controller difference pretty quick when testing the Reverb in DCS.

I tried the don't use hand controller use mouse bit but the only time I found that to be better is on any control that had to be right clicked and HELD in that position as the controllers kinda suck for that.

Edited by Stubbies2003