HUD not readable in or near thick clouds

Bog9y

HUD Brightness: I did a flight yesterday with a thick cloud layer. I noticed that as soon as you point towards the cloud and also whilst in or above the cloud that the HUD is almost unreadable unless you point towards the sky. The colour doesn't pop out and it looks like the brightness is turned down. Once under the cloud layer the hud is clearly visible again.

This is with the HUD brightness turned all the way up on the UFC. The HUD display switch in AUTO/DAY OR NIGHT doesn't make a difference. Have I missed a setting or switch?

I am using a HP Reverb btw.

How can I change the colour or brightness of the HUD other than the UFC?

HUD Brightness: I did a flight yesterday with a thick cloud layer. I noticed that as soon as you point towards the cloud and also whilst in or above the cloud that the HUD is almost unreadable unless you point towards the sky. The colour doesn't pop out and it looks like the brightness is turned down. Once under the cloud layer the hud is clearly visible again.

This is with the HUD brightness turned all the way up on the UFC. The HUD display switch in AUTO/DAY OR NIGHT doesn't make a difference. Have I missed a setting or switch?

I am using a HP Reverb btw.

How can I change the colour or brightness of the HUD other than the UFC?

Yeah, I know. Some people claim this is realistic.

It's the same in the other SIM, but in the other SIM you have working "sunglasses".

I'm testing the M2000 today. It actually has them, but don't work.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

It's realistic to not be able to read the HUD when you are climbing up to clouds? strange. So there is no key combo for a visor ?
My thoughts exactly. But what do I know?!

In the M2000 it's Lshft-Home. You'll see the visor come down with a darker shade, just like in the other SIM. But then the color changes back.

I can't belive all modules has this feature working.

And like I said. In the other SIM, it's the same but with a working visor.

Spend 10USD and check it out...

If you look at this video his HUD is readable....mine looks way more washed out. Maybe it's different brightness of the clouds or maybe it's because I use VR.

You're right. I'll check something when I get inside. Garden work. Every day is a Sunday.....

But that's not possible in a real Viper is it?

The visor is real. Probably not for the colors but this isn't real life. We aren't all young pilots with perfect vision. I'm 77, blind in one eye, and a cataract in the other eye. I can't read the HUD the way it is. Even if I zoom in.

It would be an option you don't have to use if you don't need it. I'm all for keeping it real but getting old sucks!

Buzz

The visor is real. Probably not for the colors but this isn't real life. We aren't all young pilots with perfect vision. I'm 77, blind in one eye, and a cataract in the other eye. I can't read the HUD the way it is. Even if I zoom in.

It would be an option you don't have to use if you don't need it. I'm all for keeping it real but getting old sucks!

Yeah. I ment det colors. And I agree with you. Just remembered some "opposition" in another thread.

My SS check hits my bank account tomorrow night. That's when I was going to buy the Viper. I'm undecided now. How in the world can I fight if I can't see the HUD?

The most upsetting part is nobody from ED will come to threads like this and give us some hope. Are they telling us to just deal with it because nothing needs to be fixed?

Buzz

Well, if you have a VR headset I would definitely recommend buying it. If not, then maybe you're better of with Falcon BMS because it's got the most complete avionics. I absolutely love the F16 in DCS because of the VR aspect of it. If it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't be playing it as much.

The HUD is visible very clearly in scattered and few clouds but if you have a proper overcast last it gets really tricky to see it. You are able to switch on the HMCS and look around to get your spd and alt clearly, and that would be good for BFM but just using the HUD in clouds is a no go for me.

Hello again guys, I just had a little play around and noticed that you can improve the HUD readability by reducing the GAMMA setting in DCS settings. I had mine set to 2.5 , if you lower it to 1.6 it is better in bright clouds.

I also want to reiterate that the HUD is perfectly readable in small clouds as you approach them and fly through them. It was just difficult to read in overcast conditions, in the top layer and above the cloud (if you are pitching down a bit). So if you are considering buying this module then don't let this stop you from doing so.

Yes, most of us know that but that creates problems too. In a lot of lighting the cockpit is too dark. Also, night missions are impossible.

ED can fix this. Give us a visor or be able to change the color. Both would be a bonus. If a 22 year old sim can do it. So, can ED.

I refuse to buy it the way it is.

Buzz

Well, i'm a dummy and bought the Viper anyway. I love it too much to not buy it.

I'll just have to turn down the gamma for daytime and turn it back up for night missions. I hope they come out with a visor in the future.

Buzz

The visor shade in "the other" sim is ATM only an (efficient) workaround to get a better HUD reading and act as sort of filter.

IRL, smoked visor (not behind the HUD glass) would not change HUD contrast. The proper fix would be more green hue/contrast.

On this picture, I've put the shade behind the HUD glass.

JM8g3AH.jpg

Without the shade (max HUD intensity level).

fKtgVSb.jpg

So I confirm that IRL, HUD is not always 100% readable depending on sunlight.

I do also confirm that DCS HUD rendering in slightly better than "the other sims". Good enough IMO to be considered fine IMO.

Edited by Dee-Jay