official template questions.

wolfthrower

hey folks, regarding the new official template.

just went through it and cant figure some stuff out,

1. how are we saving roughness and metallic maps now ? is it still separate files or are the roughness, metallic and albedo all saved to one dds file ?

2. will it affect the lua file descriptions ?

3. how many of you planning on migrating their skins to the new template ?

4. do you think that by releasing the template we can consider the model of the f16 finished ? at least for the textures ?

5. since almost half a year passed since the EA release of the f16 and so many skins were made, do you think ED will be open to implementing some skins as official ?

ok moved my base layers to the albedo folder of the new template

took forever to save cause the file is huge, it changed my color space as soon as i moved my files there and now i dont know to what color space to change back, the template is in 16 bit while we were workin in 8.

and than tried to save as dds and this is the result, colors are much darker and still cant seperate the roughness metallic layers in the lua.

in short i'll be taking all the line art from the template but wont be workin on it not at least someone figures out how to work with it without it breaking the skins.

91279921_10159720601643975_1283869353745317888_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=1480c5&_nc_ohc=EDwAHPxlj_cAX-AcD-4&_nc_ht=scontent.fsdv3-1.fna&oh=f1a46355996b6b72be6a426c80dd0b4b&oe=5EA93BA6

• ED Team
hey folks, regarding the new official template.

just went through it and cant figure some stuff out,

1. how are we saving roughness and metallic maps now ? is it still separate files or are the roughness, metallic and albedo all saved to one dds file ?

2. will it affect the lua file descriptions ?

3. how many of you planning on migrating their skins to the new template ?

4. do you think that by releasing the template we can consider the model of the f16 finished ? at least for the textures ?

5. since almost half a year passed since the EA release of the f16 and so many skins were made, do you think ED will be open to implementing some skins as official ?

Hi.

1.Roughness and metallicity maps are available in a single 4 channel texture. separate layers were made on them in the template so that they could be changed

2. will not affect

3. there are no critical changes in the template compared to the user-defined template. it added details, layers. more gradations of wear made

4.we’ll still work on the texture.

5. we will gladly include your skins in the world updates

" Умное выражение лица - это еще не признак ума. Все глупости на Земле делаются именно с этим выражением лица..."

• ED Team
ok moved my base layers to the albedo folder of the new template

took forever to save cause the file is huge, it changed my color space as soon as i moved my files there and now i dont know to what color space to change back, the template is in 16 bit while we were workin in 8.

and than tried to save as dds and this is the result, colors are much darker and still cant seperate the roughness metallic layers in the lua.

in short i'll be taking all the line art from the template but wont be workin on it not at least someone figures out how to work with it without it breaking the skins.

91279921_10159720601643975_1283869353745317888_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=1480c5&_nc_ohc=EDwAHPxlj_cAX-AcD-4&_nc_ht=scontent.fsdv3-1.fna&oh=f1a46355996b6b72be6a426c80dd0b4b&oe=5EA93BA6

most likely this is due to differences in the profile of Photoshop. which one do you use? the bitness of the texture on the color gamut should not be so dramatically affected

https://gyazo.com/5b89b325c89f8780b5d221b700efdc0e

Edited by DGambo

" Умное выражение лица - это еще не признак ума. Все глупости на Земле делаются именно с этим выражением лица..."

• ED Team

I will check again. maybe a mistake is on our side. then we will fix it soon. excuse me

Ok, after making changes to what you highlighted in the gyazo, I restarted photoshop, opened the template file and it prompted me that this file will needed to be converted to the new space, it did and the project file stayed the same which was good, exported BC7 8bpp Fine (Linear, DX11+) and it worked!

Thank you!

EDIT: I switched off the 2 weathering groups (LEAKS & WEATHERING_ADD) at the top of the ALBEDO group, this gave me the desired weathering to start from.

Edited by CTC
Addon

Christopher Thomas Callow

Motion Graphics | CTCVisuals

e: info@ctcvisuals.com

www.ctcvisuals.com

most likely this is due to differences in the profile of Photoshop. which one do you use? the bitness of the texture on the color gamut should not be so dramatically affected

https://gyazo.com/5b89b325c89f8780b5d221b700efdc0e

Hey , that worked , thank you ! :)

please check these files. if everything is ok, then we will replace on the site

https://yadi.sk/d/6reCFF3R-EH8xA

that also worked right away !

Roughmet Workflow

Hi.

1.Roughness and metallicity maps are available in a single 4 channel texture. separate layers were made on them in the template so that they could be changed

Seems that everybody has understood how to handle the rough and the metall part oft he texture template and how to generate the redish-greenish roughmet. Everyone but me.

So may anybody explain the relevant workflow to me?

how do you "extend/strech/i don't know" a part of a texture to avoid this kind of effect ? It seems some pixels are missing at the edge when multiple textures rejoin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=231347&stc=1&d=1585760999

I am looking for an easy way to strecth the texture in photoshop. Like ED do in default textures, to fill the gap.

attachment.php?attachmentid=231349&stc=1&d=1585761260

1619710972_Annotation2020-04-01190945.thumb.png.5ea73c4163b88f63c8e3da86647bc44e.png

829385189_Annotation2020-04-01191403.png.045d375ec6657e92d498b78fd74ba7ec.png

• ED Team

a new version was done, but it will most likely be posted on the site only in the morning.

I also have a new question. I'm not experienced like many other artists in plane skinning and I'm attempting to create a roughmet texture myself this time. Already found some information on how to (unconventionally) create them. But where can I find/how can I create an AO map of the skin? I can't really find an AO folder/layer in the template. Whereas there are rougness and metallic folders.

Thnx

I also have a new question. I'm not experienced like many other artists in plane skinning and I'm attempting to create a roughmet texture myself this time. Already found some information on how to (unconventionally) create them. But where can I find/how can I create an AO map of the skin? I can't really find an AO folder/layer in the template. Whereas there are rougness and metallic folders.

Thnx

I found a simply way to get the AO file:

- search for the original F-16 roughmet DDS-files

- konvert these files to BMP (not sure this is required, but I do so)

- now the red channel is the AO file! Its a high contrast black and white map (see below)

Furthermore it is a bare file, without any markings, so it is an excellent AO template:

49727651397_6076d99fed_c.jpg

Not sure this works anytime and for any aircraft, but for the F-16 it does.

Now you just need to add the green layer (rough part of the F-16 template) and the blue layer (metall part of the F-16 template) and you finally get a proper roughmet file.

• ED Team
Any news on the new template?

The official template is replaced.