Autopilot and Trim automation

Marauder.exe

I recently had a conversation with a current USMC pilot flying lot 19 Hornets and asked him about asymmetric loads and take off trim. His squadron is shore-based so this likely doesn't have much bearing on USN procedures. He stated that when flying such configurations, NO DIFFERENTIAL STAB trim was applied, only rudder trim. When I inquired further and asked if he trimmed the roll on wheels up, he plainly stated he didn't, he simply flew it manually to cruise altitude and then put the jet into BALT to "trim itself out". I was again, confused. From my experience flying it in game, BALT is a temporary measure. His response was, "It should stay trimmed where it is after you disengage the AP"

EDIT:

TLDR: Disengaging BALT should keep the jet stabilized and trimmed out in the current roll state.

Unfortunately all I have is this conversation as a source, but I hope ED can confirm this with their SME's. It's a small QoL thing that would make flying the jet a whole lot easier.

Edited by Marauder.exe

BALT does that already, but you have to be below 5 degrees of bank manually for the auto level (bank wise) to be in effect.

Although i experience it struggling with heavy asymetrical loads, i don't know how the jet behaves IRL, could only assume that the FCS counters automatically since it also limits G according to weight / loadout.

Interesting. I use AP all the time with assymetric loadouts due to just being too lazy to want to mess with constantly trimming the aircraft. However I rarely use BALT I normally just use HSEL. Every now and then I will combine the both but normally only when flying over 30k feet. Will have to test BALT to see if it does any trim bit. HSEL certainly doesn't leave any trim enabled after turning AP off since as soon as I turn it off the aircraft will start rolling again.

HSEL certainly doesn't leave any trim enabled after turning AP off since as soon as I turn it off the aircraft will start rolling again.

It's the same with BALT, when you disengage the a/c starts rolling again, but as long as it is engaged and your bank is below 5deg, it will try to auto trim level for you.

Upon you mentioning HSEL it comes to mind that, i think i encountered less of the jet struggling to stay level by itself with that engaged as well rather than just BALT.

Maybe HSEL has more "power" to counter the roll, so that heavy asymetric loads with both enabled, you'd find the jet struggle less to keep level than with only BALT.. Would need testing as well.

EDIT: Only read OPs sentence "It should stay trimmed where it is after you disengage the AP" now, i first started reading and then went for the TLDR part. Would be ace if we had something like this, would love to hear from SME's about that as well.

Edited by theIRIEone

I can't test right now, but I'm pretty sure BALT only effects pitch trim. If you are not trimmed in roll and engage BALT then let go of the stick it will continue to roll while maintaining pitch. Pitch trim is maintained when BALT is deselected though.