Mig-21 FPS Drops, unplayable, video added...

cronustr75

I will investigate that. I know that radar is scheduled for some recoding to improve general performance so perhaps this may solve the problem.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

In my case, this failure occurs when the radar is pointed at the ground. ¡What a pity!, it's an excellent module, but in this state it's not usable. :-(

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64Gb 3600Mhz, 1Tb NVMe, RTX 4080, Windows 11 Pro 22H2
Monitor: 32" 2K 165Hz, RV: HP Reverb G1

OB here. Like I said, I notice no difference - my framerate is perpetually low in multiplayer and especially any time I go near trees, but I haven't noticed a significant impact from the 21's radar. My friends who have are all running OB as well.

I notice perhaps a 5 - 10 FPS loss flying through the canyons and just above the tree tops through the mountains when turning the radar off or on. So my FPS jumps between 65 - 80 when having the Radar on flying throug the Georgian mountains covered with trees.

R7 2700X , Vega 64, 32GB Ram. DCS Settings high (4xMSAA, SSA = Off ). 1920x1080

From all the modules even in crowded MP servers I get the most FPS flying the Mig21.

I have the same exact issue and I'm pretty sure that this has to do with the ground clutter simulation. It happens every time when I nosedive into the mountains.

Intel Core i5 2500K, 12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Z68X-UD3-B3, GTX 1080 (ZOTAC International), SSD 850 EVO

same issue here! the fps loss start when turn on the radar

with the f/a-18 something similar happen when turn on the radar and the SA page

maybe is something with de nvidia drivers, a friend with amd gpu don't have this issue

I started learning this module and this happen when radar is on and close to the ground.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

I just hopped in the Mig to see if there were any FM changes with the open beta that came out today, and had this radar performance problem. In the A2A missile training mission and the "free flight" mission, FPS is steady locked at 60 fps with the radar in standby, when I turn it on it immediately tanks to 20 or so. I don't recall this happening before the patch that came out today, but I hadn't tested it in a few weeks.

Same problem

I'm also having my framerate drop when the radar is on and i'm picking up ground clutter. I also have had the problem in the F/A 18 with a fps drop there when the radar and SA page is on as well, turn them off and everything is super smooth again

Same here. I go from 60 to 15 fps when I turn on the radar not far from the ground.

Owned modules: P-47 | P-51D | Spitfire MkIX | I-16 | Bf 109 K-4 | Fw190 D-9 | Fw190 A-8 | Yak-52 | MiG-15 | F-86F | C-101 | A-10C | AJS-37 | L-39 | F-5E | M-2000C | MiG-21bis | F-14 | AV-8B Harrier II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | Ka-50 | SA342 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2.

Maps: Syria, Nevada TTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, & The Channel.

Hardware: GeForce 1080TI, I7 7700K, 32GB RAM.

https://www.lesirreductibles.com -

Exact same issue, also related to RADAR. I didn’t have this issue several updates ago and funnily enough I’ve doubled my RAM to 32gb and got a way better GPU since then. Unplayable with this issue.

Does the MiG 19 have this issue with the RADAR?

I'm on a AMD Vega 64 GPU and I don't have a problem at all with the radar as I stated earlier in this thread, is anyone else with a AMD GPU have the same issue? A couple of friends have the same issue running Nvidia 1050 and 1080.

Edited by HunterICX

The issue occurs only when using RADAR and even then only when the RADAR is getting lots of returns (so terrain and cloud). It ceases at high altitude or when the nose is pointed up so as to not show ground returns.

I've just finished experimenting with different settings to see if I get any results. Here's what I found:

I generally have my settings on high and achieve framerates in the region of about 120 fps with drops to about 70 momentarily here and there. With the RADAR selected on, the frames drop as low as 22 FPS.

I reduced all settings to low, reduced clutter/grass to the minimum level, reduced trees visibility to near minimum level and reduced the preload radius to 50% of max value. I reduced anisotropic filtering (essentially I set it pretty much as low as I could). The results with RADAR OFF were an improvement to an FPS of about 190. HOWEVER, with RADAR ON the framerate still dropped to around 22 FPS.

In summary: For me, settings made absolutely no difference to loss of framerate with RADAR on.

I have the following hardware:

CPU: i5 6600K 3.5 Ghz

32GB RAM (mid range quality, purchased in January 2020)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super

500GB SSD with 260GB free space

I do not have framerate issues with any other module. I'd really like to see this get fixed. I can't use the MiG 21 with this issue.

EDIT: The MiG-19 RADAR has somewhat of an FPS drop too but nowhere near as bad. Reductions are noticeable at low level but only go as low as about 70FPS with the occasional drop to 60. This is at high settings. Also, RAZBAM have given us the option of changing the RADAR display in the MiG-19 from 'dynamic' to 'static' because they know ground returns cause FPS drops, particularly on low end systems. To my knowledge, this option is not available on the MiG 21, perhaps it should be.

With that said, it looks like these CRT type RADAR displays are quite taxing but for whatever reason the MiG 21 seems to be the worst. I don't know anything about developing aircraft modules but if the A-10, Tomcat, F-18 etc can display complex video for targeting pods and weapons without performance issues, surely a more simple looking display such as these CRT RADARs without performance drops is achievable.

Edited by Shibbyland

Same here running 90ish fps when i turn radar on fps it drops to 70 then slowly drops to 40 and immediately resets back to 70 slowly droping again to 40 in a constant loop. Is there any fix or devoleper posted any infomation about this and possible fix? I can understand the drop to 70 that is ok but why does it keep droping and resetting is beyond me. This is serious bug and need to be repaired asap.

Any other module runs great. I get fps drop while using harrier flir but hey i get that one. Pip always bring same fps drop.

I have seen a response in another thread I started a couple of days ago before I saw this thread.

Hiromachi says they are aware of it. I’m not sure about a fix. Since it also happens to a lesser degree on the MiG 19 I think they’re not sure whether it’s a module issue or a broader DCS issue.

I didn’t used to have this problem with the MiG 21 and back then I had a much inferior GPU and half the RAM I have now. Somewhere in the last few updates this has happened so I would have thought it’ll be fixable.

• 2 weeks later...