Q1E Development Update

Cobra847

Any news on the tf30s and f14 A?

When the A comes out whats the B engine setup look like for gauges

Work continues steadily. The B will get the EIG for the engine gauges. The A will keep the gauges that are currently in.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to ask about missile skins, I am sure we will make them fitting at some point, with prolly a bit lower priority.

As for the IRIAF version, it will have the covered TCS (means inoperational) as it did irl, it will not have lantirn, will most likely only carry the 54A and only mk82 to mk84 and probably only the aim7-F. (To give you a lose idea, this can still change as we do a bit more research on it.) We will not implement anything beyond that, as it will simply go beyond our limits and in most cases there is not enough documentation (like hawk missiles replacing the phoenix, etc, or some iran specific bombs). It will also come with specific skins for the iriaf and will be selectable from Iran as a country.

I guess it will also come with older AIM9s?

As for the IRIAF version, it will have the covered TCS (means inoperational) as it did irl, it will not have lantirn, will most likely only carry the 54A and only mk82 to mk84 and probably only the aim7-F. (To give you a lose idea, this can still change as we do a bit more research on it.)

My understanding is the US never delivered AIM-7Fs to the Empire of Iran and post revolution crews were forced to draw from weapons stockpiled for the F-4s, namely AIM-7E-2s and "Air Force" Sidewinders (AIM-9J/Ps).

My understanding is the US never delivered AIM-7Fs to the Empire of Iran and post revolution crews were forced to draw from weapons stockpiled for the F-4s, namely AIM-7E-2s and "Air Force" Sidewinders (AIM-9J/Ps).

I am not sure if the E is usable for player aircraft, if it is, we might make it available, if not the F will have to do. Sidewinders will be adjusted accordingly as well, I forgot that. But like I said, we won't go past anything which is available in DCS and either fits or fits closely. The IRIAF version is just a bonus to the bonus if you like and we cannot allocate too much development time to it unfortunately.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

I am not sure if the E is usable for player aircraft, if it is, we might make it available, if not the F will have to do.
An AIM-7E was added to the F/A-18 and F-15 somewhere around June of 2018. It doesn't go very far, it doesn't go very fast, and I have no idea how complete or accurate it is, but it is launch able and it guides.

I remember in one of the videos HB mentioned they were also going to add an option or something for an Iranian specific F-14A modification. Like possibly with the option of adding Russian missiles, no TV cam under the nose, and other such modifications.

Is that still being followed?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

I’m guessing there needs to be some expectation management for an Iranian F-14A if HB's target is a Navy F-14A from either the 1980s or early 1990s, because there are more differences than just the armament. Yes, the Iranian F-14A never received the AIM-7F or AIM-9L, and was stuck using the E-2/-4 Sparrow and the -E/-J/-P Sidewinder. However, there are other differences too, which I don't expect HB to make. Some of them that might be noticeable to players:

1. No Sidewinder seeker-head position on the HUD (introduced with AFC 713 during the mid-1980s and included in the manual 1 Nov 1985). [1]

2. No "Stall" warning lights to the left/right "Jail Bars" (introduced with AFC 654 during the early 1980s and included in the manual 1 Sep 1982). [2]

3. No AN/ARA-62 ILS. [3]

4. APX-81-M1E IFF interrogator could only interrogate Soviet-designed aircraft. [4]

5. No TCS or IRST - TCS was only experimental during the 1970s and did not see fleet-wide introduction until after February 1981. The Iranian F-14s would not have even had a covered TCS, but rather only the position light/ALQ-100 receiver under the nose. [5]

That's not all, but I'm guessing HB isn't going to make another custom cockpit with missing or different components, a different jammer, etc. as a “bonus” so if I had to guess, it will be a Navy Tomcat in Iranian colors. That said, it will also be interesting to see IRIAF F-14As vs. USN F-14Bs.

References:

1. NAVAIR 01-F14AAA-1, NATOPS Flight Manual Navy Model F-14A Aircraft, (15 May 1995, Change 1-1 February 1997), 7.

2. Ibid.

3. David F. Brown, "Legends of Warfare: F-14 Tomcat," (Pennsylvania: Schiffer Military, 2019), 120.

4. Tom Cooper and Farzad Bishop, "Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units in Combat," (UK: Osprey Publishing, 2004), 12.

5. Paul T. Gillcrist, "TOMCAT! The Grumman F-14 Story," (Pennsylvania: Schiffer Publishing, 1994) 96-98.

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

I’m guessing there needs to be some expectation management for an Iranian F-14A if HB's target is a Navy F-14A from either the 1980s or early 1990s, because there are more differences than just the armament. Yes, the Iranian F-14A never received the AIM-7F or AIM-9L, and was stuck using the E-2/-4 Sparrow and the -E/-J/-P Sidewinder. However, there are other differences too, which I don't expect HB to make. Some of them that might be noticeable to players:

1. No Sidewinder seeker-head position on the HUD (introduced with AFC 713 during the mid-1980s and included in the manual 1 Nov 1985). [1]

2. No "Stall" warning lights to the left/right "Jail Bars" (introduced with AFC 654 during the early 1980s and included in the manual 1 Sep 1982). [2]

3. No AN/ARA-62 ILS. [3]

4. APX-81-M1E IFF interrogator could only interrogate Soviet-designed aircraft. [4]

5. No TCS or IRST - TCS was only experimental during the 1970s and did not see fleet-wide introduction until after February 1981. The Iranian F-14s would not have even had a covered TCS, but rather only the position light/ALQ-100 receiver under the nose. [5]

That's not all, but I'm guessing HB isn't going to make another custom cockpit with missing or different components, a different jammer, etc. as a “bonus” so if I had to guess, it will be a Navy Tomcat in Iranian colors. That said, it will also be interesting to see IRIAF F-14As vs. USN F-14Bs.

References:

1. NAVAIR 01-F14AAA-1, NATOPS Flight Manual Navy Model F-14A Aircraft, (15 May 1995, Change 1-1 February 1997), 7.

2. Ibid.

3. David F. Brown, "Legends of Warfare: F-14 Tomcat," (Pennsylvania: Schiffer Military, 2019), 120.

4. Tom Cooper and Farzad Bishop, "Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units in Combat," (UK: Osprey Publishing, 2004), 12.

5. Paul T. Gillcrist, "TOMCAT! The Grumman F-14 Story," (Pennsylvania: Schiffer Publishing, 1994) 96-98.

Indeed, but also the Iranian F-14s could be given a specific designation like AM or A/IRN to differentiate between the IS A models and Iranian A models

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

I’m guessing there needs to be some expectation management for an Iranian F-14A if HB's target is a Navy F-14A from either the 1980s or early 1990s, because there are more differences than just the armament.

3. No AN/ARA-62 ILS. [3]

Your number 5 bullet point was mentioned in the past by Heatblur.

I don't know what the gameplan is for now but they had said they planned to make an Iranian version that had no TCS or IRST, that I distinctly remember. It should be searchable on this forum unless it's been deleted or edited.

Your number 5 bullet point was mentioned in the past by Heatblur.

I don't know what the gameplan is for now but they had said they planned to make an Iranian version that had no TCS or IRST, that I distinctly remember. It should be searchable on this forum unless it's been deleted or edited.

You don't need to search far - it's actually just one page back (Page 18 ), described by IronMike: "it will have the covered TCS (means inoperational) as it did irl," but the IRIAF F-14 doesn't have the TCS/IRST pod with a cover, it's flat out not there. There are pictures of the first production Turkey for the then-IIAF with the covered pod under the nose (BuNo 160299), but every model after, either photographed at Calverton or post-delivery in Iran only have the ALQ-100/position light spur, and not a covered TCS/IRST mount.

This is why I brought up what I did with respect to the Iranian F-14; if it's a bonus, don't expect it to be an accurate representation of what the IRIAF has, but rather a Navy Tomcat in Iranian colors.

In the long run, I don't care. I fly F-14Bs with 1970's high-viz paint that they never used, I'm very much looking forward to the challenge the F-14A will bring, and like I said, it will be interesting to me if servers start running F-14As as REDFOR with F-14Bs as BLUEFOR, since it would give both sides a Phoenix shooter and it will be a little more accurate (or for that matter F-14As vs F-14As).

Edit: removed the sunglass face from page description.

Edited by Quid

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

as a “bonus” so if I had to guess, it will be a Navy Tomcat in Iranian colors. That said, it will also be interesting to see IRIAF F-14As vs. USN F-14Bs.

Pretty much. It will be an approach towards an IRIAF, with differences to the A believable enough to put it on the Iranian side, but in fact more or less a slightly altered Navy A. Unfortunately anything else would shoot beyond our targets and cost too much time. We also need to have a little self restraint, as we usually tend to go further and further, but it has to stop somewhere. In any case it will be different enough for some believable scenarios, possibly we will be even able to make the E available, but even if not, with the F you will still see an aircraft put into a slightly different realm, etc.. That's the main idea behind it and because it would be sad to not have it on the Iranian side at all.

Heatblur Simulations

I'd have to ask about missile skins, I am sure we will make them fitting at some point, with prolly a bit lower priority.

As for the IRIAF version, it will have the covered TCS (means inoperational) as it did irl, it will not have lantirn, will most likely only carry the 54A and only mk82 to mk84 and probably only the aim7-F. (To give you a lose idea, this can still change as we do a bit more research on it.) We will not implement anything beyond that, as it will simply go beyond our limits and in most cases there is not enough documentation (like hawk missiles replacing the phoenix, etc, or some iran specific bombs). It will also come with specific skins for the iriaf and will be selectable from Iran as a country.

That sounds pretty awesome! So a covered TCS and not a removed one then? As for the AIM54A, it's literally just a reskin/texture change, it's just kinda weird if you are carrying 54A's and it says 54C on the missile.

That sounds pretty awesome! So a covered TCS and not a removed one then? As for the AIM54A, it's literally just a reskin/texture change, it's just kinda weird if you are carrying 54A's and it says 54C on the missile.

I never talked with Cobra about this, which is why I am guessing now to give you the quick answer, but I am sure he has that planned at some point or another. We just need to get the major items out of the way first. And correct, TCS covered, not removed.

Heatblur Simulations

I never talked with Cobra about this, which is why I am guessing now to give you the quick answer, but I am sure he has that planned at some point or another. We just need to get the major items out of the way first. And correct, TCS covered, not removed.

Cool! :thumbup:

Wouldn't removing it from the F-14 3d model be extremely easy though? That has to be the easiest change of them all.

Well, it still needs the position light and ALQ-100 antenna, the nub under the TCS itself, and the base of the TCS is bigger than the antenna unit so you’d have to fix the art to close the gaps. I think the antenna fairing itself is also a little different than the version on the TCS.

Much simpler to make a little cap on the front of the existing geo.

Hello and thank you Heatblur for the amazing work you did on the F-14.

I have some questions concerning carriers. I remember early in the development of the Tomcat, you made deck crew character models, and even showed some mocap. Will the Forrestal carriers have any animated crew, or is that plan scrapped since ED is doing that for the Super Carrier?

Speaking of which, I noticed in the DCS patch notes a while ago, added features like "salute", "holdback bar" and such. Does that mean that you did your part on making the Tomcat compatible with the SC and that the rest is up to ED to finalize the implementation?

Hope you don't mind the questions, thank you.

Hello and thank you Heatblur for the amazing work you did on the F-14.

I have some questions concerning carriers. I remember early in the development of the Tomcat, you made deck crew character models, and even showed some mocap. Will the Forrestal carriers have any animated crew, or is that plan scrapped since ED is doing that for the Super Carrier?

Speaking of which, I noticed in the DCS patch notes a while ago, added features like "salute", "holdback bar" and such. Does that mean that you did your part on making the Tomcat compatible with the SC and that the rest is up to ED to finalize the implementation?

Hope you don't mind the questions, thank you.

Iirc no animated crew on forestall release. Maybe later.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Iirc no animated crew on forestall release. Maybe later.

They did model all those Deck crew which were highly detailed, I hope to god it wasn't for nothing :cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hopefully in an update down the road, but I'm guessing at least a year or two away to avoid drawing sales from Super Carier.

Yeah. I think thats part of the issue. ED doesnt want competition right now.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Any chance of the "A" to be released this month, please?

... would be great.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB