Adding Open Beta - details?

Emacs

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to DCS. Currently have the stable version (2.5.5.41371) with a few modules installed.

I'm interested in trying out the open beta, but I have a few questions about the organisation of both installations:

When I add the open bata, is that a complete new install? Download of everything again?

What about the modules I have (some planes, all maps, some campaigns)? Is their installation shared between stable and beta, or do I have to download them a second time too?

Both questions a mostly because I want to calculate my diskspace first.

Cheers,

Emacs

When I add the open bata, is that a complete new install?

Yes, it is a separate game.

Download of everything again?

No, the installer is smart enough to detect you already have the stable dcs, and will take unchanged files from there instead of downloading them ... however, a large part of the files are different and so the download is still large.

What about the modules I have (some planes, all maps, some campaigns)? Is their installation shared between stable and beta, or do I have to download them a second time too?

The modules are different version, so no, they cant be shared.

Both questions a mostly because I want to calculate my diskspace first.

It should take the same amount as your current dcs

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

When I add the open bata, is that a complete new install? Download of everything again?

Simplest road to go is this:

- Copy your entire Stable version to the location where you want the Open Beta to sit.

- Then use Skatezilla's updater tool (link posted above) to do the change from your now second Stable into an Open Beta (it will only download/update what's needed).

- Use Skatezilla's tool as your starting point into DCS.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

So, roughly 160 - 170 GB. That's what my current Eagle Dynamics directory is.

Yes, but dont forget the folder at /Saved Games/ ... if you have a lot of Liveries and Missions, it can get quite large

:thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I just want to mention that you don't have to install the Open Beta in addition to the Stable. Instead you can just convert your Stable to the Open Beta to avoid having the same game installed twice.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah but then when Open Beta gets wrecked like when going from 2.5.5 to 2.5.6 you're a sitting duck and have to roll back (and mostly become a whiner because things don't work anymore).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I just did a separate install for the Open Beta, myself.

After some research, I decided a separate install was the best route, as I only intend to use the OB to mess about with the F-16C & Supercarrier. I have a slow DL speed, so upgrading & downgrading my main install didn't seem wise. I copied the stable DCS folder and upgraded that using SkateZillas excellent guide. I used the command line, so can't comment on his updater tool.

My stable DCS install is 155 GB, and the open beta install is 176 GB. There are also stable & beta folders in my Saved Games file, and each is currently at 500MB.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, but dont forget the folder at /Saved Games/ ... if you have a lot of Liveries and Missions, it can get quite large

:thumbup:

Hi !

so, I've copied my DCS install directory and SkateZillas tool.

The tool is currently updating the DCS copy to the latest open beta.

But I'm not sure about \Saved Games\DCS .

Do I point both "builds" from SkateZillas tool to the same \Saved Games\DCS, or should I rather have a copy of that too? i.e. as \Saved Games\DCSBeta ?

Cheers,

Emacs

But I'm not sure about \Saved Games\DCS .

Do I point both "builds" from SkateZillas tool to the same \Saved Games\DCS, or should I rather have a copy of that too? i.e. as \Saved Games\DCSBeta ?

Back, when I did have both dcs stable and dcs openbeta, I used a single saved ganes folder for both, the advantage was that the logbook got updated from both sims, the controls that I binded on one version, got binded on the other, etc.

The downside, is that it could be possible that an update of openbeta could affect the stable ... but I never did experience this, so the risk is probably very small.