Situational Awareness

ouseler

What is the best way to keep optimal situational awareness of the battlefield?

I have started using the EXP mode on the TAD and that has helped some. However, when I am at 10 the TAD in moving map, when I go to EXP the map is gone and it just shows black with the normal symbols.

I had a mission the other day where I was to avoid "No Fire Zones" on the practice range. As usual, I got tunnel vision and lost SA and fired while in a No Fire Zone failing the mission; a hour and a half down the drain.

How do I get the map to stay on when the TAD is in EXP. Is there a map that shows urban areas better than others?

System Specs:

AMD 5950X (liquid-cooled), Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro Motherboard, 32 GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Seagate 2TB SSD, Geforce RTX 4080 GPU, Rosewill Glacier 1000W Power Supply, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (Stick, Throttle), Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals, NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 w/ProClip, (1) Vizio 40" 4K Monitor, TPLink Dual Band Wireless Card, Window 11 OS

With TAD as SOI, use thee DMS to zoom out a little bit on the map in EXP mode to bring it back. IIRC in EXP mode the 5/10 map zoom isn't available, so it goes into symbology mode (the black screen with info).

The maps are what they are, and there are actually only a couple of them, and you zoom in and out to a point before it switches to another map.

The maps are only intended as a general guide to where you are. SA is more dependent on the MK-I eyeball and experience. In the current state of things, you are not going to see NOTAM info like no fire zones, etc. on the TAD. The closest you are going to get are waypoints in the overlay, and you need to make sure you understand the mission briefing to know which waypoints, if any, are in a no-fire zone, etc.

I don't know of any map that is detailed enough to really show urban areas in fine detail, etc. that is on the TAD. You can always make one for the kneeboard if you need, but SA is more of a heads-up than heads-down thing when you get down to it. The map isn't going to show you an upcoming target, or an enemy aircraft starting to head your way, etc.

I have found though, that for SA in regards to what info is available on TAD, that EXP mode is the way to go, having North always on top is less confusing.

You may find this helpful: