Flat shadows removal mod

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iHGdH4-G2H8RFnkWIkxwOpAkvocV0KT4/view?usp=sharing

This mod deactivates the flat shadows of practically all scenery objects (notably trees/forests and buildings) within DCS World, only leaving shadows for own aircraft and surrounding objects such as ground units and other aircraft.

The main benefit to be gained from this is to retain the cockpit shadows while turning off nearly all external shadow sources, this mod is especially useful for VR users who are familiar with having to turn pit shadows off.

To gain the most out of this mod the user should select Terrain Object Shadows as Flat, the other shadow setting in the DCS options can be set to what ever the user desires.

Also included in this package is a tweaked NVG shader for clearer cockpit reading, a modified overcast shader (adjusted luminance levels) and a very popular modification for smoke columns.

To use this mod simply extract the 'Bazar' folder to the root directory of DCS World and allow overwrite of files, alternatively you can use this mod with any manager you want.

Untitled.jpg.8821f44863c9fe585b75d96883b7dbe9.jpg

Edited by Mustang
  • Like 1

Thanks, Mustang

What about a mod for the clouds ( visual ) ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Confused me the name of the file, but everything works.thank you. Would it be possible to turn off only the shadows of the trees, but on buildings is to leave it on?

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Confused me the name of the file, but everything works.thank you. Would it be possible to turn off only the shadows of the trees, but on buildings is to leave it on?

I have altered the filename of the package now - sorry this is a simple on or off for shadows, I don't believe it's possible to selectively deactivate shadows for just the trees.

Clever. Thx Mustang :thumbup:.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ozlsEifHvCK1p_-ttCImVBwUnvcZCROY

This mod deactivates the flat shadows of practically all scenery objects (notably trees/forests and buildings) within DCS World, only leaving shadows for own aircraft and surrounding objects such as ground units and other aircraft.

The main benefit to be gained from this is to retain the cockpit shadows while turning off nearly all external shadow sources, this mod is especially useful for VR users who are familiar with having to turn pit shadows off.

To gain the most out of this mod the user should select Terrain Object Shadows as Flat, the other shadow setting in the DCS options can be set to what ever the user desires.

Also included in this package is a tweaked NVG shader for clearer cockpit reading, a modified overcast shader (adjusted luminance levels) and a very popular modification for smoke columns.

To use this mod simply extract the 'Bazar' folder to the root directory of DCS World and allow overwrite of files, alternatively you can use this mod with any manager you want.

Thanks a LOT Mustang, I noticed thatm with flat shadows mod, the shadow casting due mountains is NOT removed, which is GREAT specially at sunsets!!! those modification I was looking since many years ago!!!

Previously, with flat shadows enabled (just to have mountaing cast shadowing), the performance had a massive hit due enlarged shadowing of trees. Specially on VR. Now, mountain shadowing is enabled without fps dowgrades.

I send you a file that I modiefied file (SHADOWS.LUA) just to have plane and others objects shadowing rendered at lower distance (not rendered full shadowing at 5 Km which is not really necessary nor usefull/noticeable).You have to select in MENU the quality of shadows "LOW". In addition, this mod make cockpit shadowing with more resolution.

If you would, I could add to your package and file structure. Please let me know.

Only two questions, MUSTANG:

1-. Overcast mod is impressive, specially under cloud cover. But above, may ask you if it would be possible to increase contrast clouding?

2-. What are the effects of fire smoke? increasing / lower fps performance?

I hope ED read this message, is quite frustating spending and hour tweaking the sim with each new patch, those shadowing "hacks" by users, that helps FPS without lowering visual quality (that helps specially VR users) in my opinion MUST be included in options menu. Specially those related with shadowing that bring down performance by 70 or 80% (sunset tree shadowing bring fps to 5 or 6 in sunsets, with top high end PC´s....)

Edited by Gryzor

For comparison, I performed the 2D benchmark, when the sun is low and shadows long.

Noon can't measure the difference between the mod on/off.

Settings High

Global lighting cockpit off

SSLR off

Mirror on

Mod off

05-04-2020, 10:41:21 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 7030 frames rendered in 139.902 s

Average framerate : 50.2 FPS

Minimum framerate : 37.4 FPS

Maximum framerate : 72.4 FPS

1% low framerate : 33.5 FPS

0.1% low framerate : 29.8 FPS

Mod on

05-04-2020, 10:53:41 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 7638 frames rendered in 139.948 s

Average framerate : 54.5 FPS

Minimum framerate : 39.5 FPS

Maximum framerate : 79.1 FPS

1% low framerate : 36.3 FPS

0.1% low framerate : 34.1 FPS

Benchmark256new19h.trk

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

As someone who struggles with low FPS in VR, this is incredibly helpful. Thanks a lot for sharing! O7

Asus z170 motherboard; Intel i5-6600K OCd to 4,5GHz; Corsair 32GB DDR4 3000MHz; ASUS Cerberus 1070 Ti; Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD; Schiit Valhalla 2 headphone amp w/ Bifrost multibit DAC and Sennheiser 650 headphones; HP Reverb; Saitek x65-F; TrackIR5

@petsild : sorry to ask (noob inside), but what kind of benchmark tool do you use for benchmarking you DCS setup ?

So far so good, the mod seems to work well on my rig, but I would like to measure the improvement. thank you Mustang !

Edited by nanucq

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2666Mhz, GTX 2070 Super, SSD 1To, TrackIR 5, TM16000M HOTAS

@MUSTANG:

Do you know how to remove flat shadows projected with player&others aircraft, on the ground? while mantaining other shadows.

Some similar like static shadows coded in flatshadow.hlsl line "return position = 0;"

This sounds like exactly what I'm after. So if I read correctly, with Terrain shadows set to default, we will still see the high LOD shadows at close range, but not the flat shadows that are rendered further out?

This truly would be the best of both worlds :)

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This sounds like exactly what I'm after. So if I read correctly, with Terrain shadows set to default, we will still see the high LOD shadows at close range, but not the flat shadows that are rendered further out?

This truly would be the best of both worlds :)

This does exactly that.

Thanks a LOT Mustang, I noticed thatm with flat shadows mod, the shadow casting due mountains is NOT removed, which is GREAT specially at sunsets!!! those modification I was looking since many years ago!!!

Previously, with flat shadows enabled (just to have mountaing cast shadowing), the performance had a massive hit due enlarged shadowing of trees. Specially on VR. Now, mountain shadowing is enabled without fps dowgrades.

I send you a file that I modiefied file (SHADOWS.LUA) just to have plane and others objects shadowing rendered at lower distance (not rendered full shadowing at 5 Km which is not really necessary nor usefull/noticeable).You have to select in MENU the quality of shadows "LOW". In addition, this mod make cockpit shadowing with more resolution.

If you would, I could add to your package and file structure. Please let me know.

Only two questions, MUSTANG:

1-. Overcast mod is impressive, specially under cloud cover. But above, may ask you if it would be possible to increase contrast clouding?

2-. What are the effects of fire smoke? increasing / lower fps performance?

I hope ED read this message, is quite frustating spending and hour tweaking the sim with each new patch, those shadowing "hacks" by users, that helps FPS without lowering visual quality (that helps specially VR users) in my opinion MUST be included in options menu. Specially those related with shadowing that bring down performance by 70 or 80% (sunset tree shadowing bring fps to 5 or 6 in sunsets, with top high end PC´s....)

Hey there Gryzor, would you mind sharing that lua file? Or posting the settings your using? I'm looking at the file and I'm not sure what the values represent. 7000 meters? The first line is clearly the texture size of the shadow map 1024, 2048, 4096 but the string of numbers looks like distances but I don't know what unit of measure their using.

Thanks,

Hi,

I attach a new LUA file modified version (works with any level of shadows selected in menu option).

In addition, I found the parameter to removes completely the flat shadow (finally....), with renders projected plane´s other dynamic objects with a visible distance limit of 50 meters (more or less).

Helps improving FPS specially on tarmac

You have to put this file in \DCS WORLD\Config\Effects

However, this modification makes not passing security control in multpilayer.

shadows.lua

• Thanks 1