Flat shadows removal mod

Just did a compare, they both match. Knowing that is vital since you might expect differences there when your mod enabler tells you both have the same file and it might cause problems. I just removed (aka appended .bak to it) it from the one shadermod folder which I load first so I don't get that nag anymore everytime I switch on my mods after an update or check-to-see-if-it-happens-without-as-well.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 1 month later...
Files verified working with current openbeta, and is quite beneficial for the Syria map.

edit: this mod will be merged into the newer DCS shaders package.

@Mustang is there still plans to merge this Flatshadows Mod into the DCS Shaders package? I am fine either way; just curious if there are any reasons for not doing it now.. cheers. And Thanks.

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

I'm slightly confused by this mod. It is for terrain flat shadows, but says it's useful for keeping cockpit shadows. Shadows (not terrain shadows) also controls "terrain" shadows to an extent (other aircraft shadows, carrier shadows, etc.), and is a huge performance killer. Terrain shadows does not affect cockpit shadows at all. Is there no way to have Terrain shadows OFF, Shadows LOW, but have ONLY the cockpit shadows and no other shadows?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I just installed 2.7 a few hours ago.

I did quick test and enabled this mod 20 minutes ago - it seems to be working.  

However, I will leave the official word on compatibility with MUSTANG. 

Re: What does this MOD do?  

- From my observations and the First Page of this Tread -

This mod deactivates the flat shadows of practically all scenery objects (notably trees/forests and buildings) within DCS World, only leaving shadows for own aircraft and surrounding objects such as ground units and other aircraft.

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

2 hours ago, YSIAD_RIP said:

I just installed 2.7 a few hours ago.

I did quick test and enabled this mod 20 minutes ago - it seems to be working.  

However, I will leave the official word on compatibility with MUSTANG. 

Re: What does this MOD do?  

- From my observations and the First Page of this Tread -

This mod deactivates the flat shadows of practically all scenery objects (notably trees/forests and buildings) within DCS World, only leaving shadows for own aircraft and surrounding objects such as ground units and other aircraft.

This is a very simple hlsl edit and so still does the job in 2.7, no worries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 months later...

I'm still confused on the purpose of this mod. The Terrain Shadows UI setting controls the exact same shadows as this mod, so what's the difference between turning off terrain/building shadows through the mod, and simply turning the same shadows off in the UI?

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nealius said:

I'm still confused on the purpose of this mod. The Terrain Shadows UI setting controls the exact same shadows as this mod, so what's the difference between turning off terrain/building shadows through the mod, and simply turning the same shadows off in the UI?

First line of the first post: 

Doing this tries to strike a balance between still having some shadows and saving FPS by eliminating scenery object shadows. Pretty clever way to save FPS and retain looks but I don't think Mustang is supporting it anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike5cents said:

First line of the first post: 

Doing this tries to strike a balance between still having some shadows and saving FPS by eliminating scenery object shadows. Pretty clever way to save FPS and retain looks but I don't think Mustang is supporting it anymore. 

Precisely why I'm asking.

"Shadows of practically all scenery objects (notably trees/forests and buildings)" are controlled by the Terrain Shadows setting inside DCS. 

"Shadows for own aircraft and surrounding objects such as ground units and other aircraft" are controlled by the Shadows setting inside DCS.

Therefore, Terrain Shadows OFF, Shadows LOW-MEDIUM-HIGH does the same thing as this mod. Hence my confusion. Why bother with the mod when the UI settings already exist?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Set terrain shadows to off in game, and cockpit shadows to medium… the effect is the same.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 7:54 AM, speed-of-heat said:

Set terrain shadows to off in game, and cockpit shadows to medium… the effect is the same.

It´s not the same. You loss mountaing shadowing and cloud shadowing in the ground. With flatshadowing removal mod, you maintain those effects with less fps penalty in comparison with CPU hungry flat shadowing.

@Gunslinger22: I attach a copy with the file. Put in into DCS\bazar\shaders\metashaders\inc. Thanks.

flatshadow.hlsl

1 hour ago, Gryzor said:

It´s not the same. You loss mountaing shadowing and cloud shadowing in the ground. With flatshadowing removal mod, you maintain those effects with less fps penalty in comparison with CPU hungry flat shadowing.

@Gunslinger22: I attach a copy with the file. Put in into DCS\bazar\shaders\metashaders\inc. Thanks.

flatshadow.hlsl 405 B · 1 download

I've always run Terrain Shadows off in VR and I still have mountain shadows and cloud shadows. 

2 hours ago, Gryzor said:

flatshadow.hlsl 405 B · 2 downloads

Bloody legend mate! Thank-you very much! 

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

6 hours ago, Nealius said:

I've always run Terrain Shadows off in VR and I still have mountain shadows and cloud shadows. 

Yes, ... But NOT the projected mountain shadows, compare with and without in sunset time, you will see the difference.

On 8/12/2021 at 2:48 PM, Nealius said:

Projected as in on the aircraft or on the ground? Because I get both......

No. It´s not the autoself shadowing. It´s more related with shadow projection (for example, the shadow that a mountaing generates in surface, PROJECTED. It´s easily nocided BUT only in sunsets or dawns (larger shadows, not only selfshadowing). Look with more detail and you will notice it the difference between having ground "flat" options, or none. I will put a comparison screenshot when I have more time.

EDIT: Look the 2 pictures. In the upper one one, mountainc cast shadow (large shadow). In the lower one, no shadow projected. That is the difference from selecting FLAT or NOTE, regarding terrain cast shadowing.

Screen_210812_173404.png

Screen_210812_173453.png

Edited by Gryzor
  • Like 1