TWS-Auto

gyrovague

TWS-Auto

I think that is one of the issues that was fixed while implementing TWS-A, so it should be better for TWS-M too. Let us know how it goes!

04f05a48cf3742d758cc66be2a6bdd5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Not yet I'm afraid. At least no PH improvement was mentioned in the changelog and I didn't notice any difference in their behaviour with the new patch. TWS-A is very nice however

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Did anyone try it yet? Does jester select it automatically or should we command him?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

you mean your own phoenix does that?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Can't confirm that. I regularly see bandits defending only when the missile goes active (at about 15nm distance). Maybe it goes before 15nm active if your radar looses lock. Didn't pay attention to that.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Can't confirm that. I regularly see bandits defending only when the missile goes active (at about 15nm distance). Maybe it goes before 15nm active if your radar looses lock. Didn't pay attention to that.

I was wondering why my Phoenixes are so ineffective now.

Yep, checked it out a while back myself.

BTW, flew some training missions tonight using the TWS Auto, i am glad to report seam to have our teeth back now. No longer having to do trigonometry on side your head, while flying the plane, fighting the guy and dodging his missiles at the same time, all the time fumbling with the Jester menu. You can now do sorts of cool stuff, like going high, lofting then breaking off and cranking, going in bellow him. The locks seam more stable too, both hard and soft ones :thumbup:

Loving it so far. Can't wait to try how it works in MP environment. :pilotfly:

Edited by captain_dalan
  • Like 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Yep, checked it out a while back myself.

BTW, flew some training missions tonight using the TWS Auto, i am glad to report seam to have our teeth back now. No longer having to do trigonometry on side your head, while flying the plane, fighting the guy and dodging his missiles at the same time, all the time fumbling with the Jester menu. You can now do sorts of cool stuff, like going high, lofting then breaking off and cranking, going in bellow him. The locks seam more stable too, both hard and soft ones :thumbup:

Loving it so far. Can't wait to try how it works in MP environment. :pilotfly:

Haven’t played with the new Jester menu/bindings yet, that sounds interesting to investigate.

Meanwhile I find that my radar likes to confuse bandit with my own missiles. For example the radar picture started with an IFFed target, which I fire at:

->

Then as he dodged that missile and the missile flew past him, the radar screen becomes

-] <———

Namely, the IFF status got transferred into my missile and soon after that, the true target disappeared altogether. Though it might be explained by enemy notching, but if that’s the case, should I lose him earlier, before my missile flew past him? Is this the correct behavior? Sorry I rarely do BVRs so maybe I’m missing something trivial here.

I think that is one of the issues that was fixed while implementing TWS-A, so it should be better for TWS-M too. Let us know how it goes!

If it's the same issue reported here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260806

Then it's not fixed yet and I and the group I fly with are still having the same problem. We're still trying to narrow down what exactly causes the TWS track loss, as it's not 100% consistent, but it does seem to mostly happen in Multiplayer.

Meanwhile I find that my radar likes to confuse bandit with my own missiles. For example the radar picture started with an IFFed target, which I fire at:

->

Then as he dodged that missile and the missile flew past him, the radar screen becomes

-] <———

Namely, the IFF status got transferred into my missile and soon after that, the true target disappeared altogether. Though it might be explained by enemy notching, but if that’s the case, should I lose him earlier, before my missile flew past him? Is this the correct behavior? Sorry I rarely do BVRs so maybe I’m missing something trivial here.

That is weird. have you told Jester to scan in TWS only? Sometimes when the lock drops, even for a second, he switches to RWS, loses IFF, and then switches to TWS again, only after reacquiring the target, then proceeding to IFF it again. This can take as much as 4-5s at times. An eternity when merging or being shot at.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

If it's the same issue reported here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260806

Then it's not fixed yet and I and the group I fly with are still having the same problem. We're still trying to narrow down what exactly causes the TWS track loss, as it's not 100% consistent, but it does seem to mostly happen in Multiplayer.

Can confirm this. This odd behavior is still there. In MP I just had a horrible sortie with ghost contacts appearing and TWS constantly losing lock even as the target was flying straight towards and above me without any maneuvering. Can't provide the track though, it is way too large. But there is something wrong. Heatblur needs to take a closer look at this.

That is weird. have you told Jester to scan in TWS only? Sometimes when the lock drops, even for a second, he switches to RWS, loses IFF, and then switches to TWS again, only after reacquiring the target, then proceeding to IFF it again. This can take as much as 4-5s at times. An eternity when merging or being shot at.

That doesn’t sound like the case because I was monitoring the radar picture the entire time. I’m wondering if it’s possible that I have lost the track 5-10 seconds before it disappeared but the radar is interpolating the contact position based on history information. I’m not sure how F14 handles lost contact in TWS mode, does it disappear immediately from the TID? What about the missile guidance in case of a lost contact?

I never noticed Jester scanning off the side before, but did notice this in MP Aerobatics.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 2 weeks later...
we noticed some issue with TWS auto where it doesnt track the manattacked bandit and prioritized others. i will try to bring up track files next time i notice it

There are already thourough reports and dev responses here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260806

Will be fixed in the next beta update.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

• 1 month later...

Shooting down AS-4 anti-ship missiles works really well now with TWS-A. I had good successes with being at around 40'000 ft and mach 1.5-ish, obviously directly ahead in the path of the missiles. Order Jester to radar search at around 5° up-elevation. After giving Jester an elevation order remember to order him to use TWS again (even if he already is in TWS). This makes sure that TWS-A is active and automatic elevation control will take over as soon as the first missile is being tracked. Target elevation change rate will pick up very quickly as the mach 3 missiles approach at 80'000 ft, so you need to capture the first missile with TWS-A before it leaves the scan volume on top.

The first missile will be picked up at around 70 NM, upon which TWS-A will take over elevation control. Give it some seconds to pick up other missiles in the salvo and get tracks. At around 50 NM I start to ripple fire AIM-54. At around 20 NM I can see the dots of the AS-4 visually, just as the AIM-54 connect. Any AS-4 that is missed can be observed to pass overhead and is basically untouchable at this point.

This is all very satisfying and something that the Tomcat is all about.

• 6 months later...
On 6/7/2020 at 4:27 PM, MBot said:

Shooting down AS-4 anti-ship missiles works really well now with TWS-A. I had good successes with being at around 40'000 ft and mach 1.5-ish, obviously directly ahead in the path of the missiles. Order Jester to radar search at around 5° up-elevation. After giving Jester an elevation order remember to order him to use TWS again (even if he already is in TWS). This makes sure that TWS-A is active and automatic elevation control will take over as soon as the first missile is being tracked. Target elevation change rate will pick up very quickly as the mach 3 missiles approach at 80'000 ft, so you need to capture the first missile with TWS-A before it leaves the scan volume on top.

The first missile will be picked up at around 70 NM, upon which TWS-A will take over elevation control. Give it some seconds to pick up other missiles in the salvo and get tracks. At around 50 NM I start to ripple fire AIM-54. At around 20 NM I can see the dots of the AS-4 visually, just as the AIM-54 connect. Any AS-4 that is missed can be observed to pass overhead and is basically untouchable at this point.

This is all very satisfying and something that the Tomcat is all about.

I read radar switch to TWS Auto automatically as soon as AIM-54 is fired even from TWS Manual radar mode.

I have a question, more related to the phoenix but in some way to the TWS-A.

Do i understand correctly that a AIM54 launched in TWS-A is autonomous when the TTI start flashing so i can now turn cold?

Or is that just an estimation but not directly couple to WCS go pitbul signal?

If its the second option is there a way to be sure when to turn cold? I'm assuming if i turn call before the pitbull command that missile will never go active right?

On 12/20/2020 at 5:35 AM, falcon_120 said:

I have a question, more related to the phoenix but in some way to the TWS-A.

Do i understand correctly that a AIM54 launched in TWS-A is autonomous when the TTI start flashing so i can now turn cold?

Or is that just an estimation but not directly couple to WCS go pitbul signal?

If its the second option is there a way to be sure when to turn cold? I'm assuming if i turn call before the pitbull command that missile will never go active right?

The blinking TTI indicates the Phoenix has gone active on that specific TWS track. You are clear to turn, since the Phoenix is active, but the Phoenix will fall back onto the AWG-9 if the TWS track is held the entire time the Phoenix is active. I’m not sure entirely, but the AIM-54C variant will go active if a TWS track is lost.

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights