Model Viewer Tips & Tricks

Santus

What I recall is that it reads both paths. Only the one of savegames is added in the new auroexec.

Then I guess there must be something wrong with my installation.

In any case thank you both for trying to help me with this.

Hopefully sooner of later this will be addressed by ED and there won't be a need for a workaround.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I could use a little help. For whatever reason ModelViewer2 is not finding my liveries on the C: drive. I am using the following code:

LoadModel("CoreMods/aircraft/FA-18C/Shapes/f-18c.edm")

mount_vfs_liveries_path("c:/Users/James/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries")

I get the standard 5 default liveries from the Bazar folder.

I thought I could copy the livery that I am working on there. But it still wont load the file. But I am at least able to see it in the Viewer's Livery Dialog Box.

I tried with a clean file and removed the LoadModel. Still no luck. Attached is the log file and autoexec.lua

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks gents!

model_viewer2.log

autoexec.lua

• 5 weeks later...
Any shortcut to change/cycle Env maps? The "Env" slider has been a while that it is not functional... :cry:

After I put one line to my autoexec to have liveries from Saved Games visible, I can't move Env slider. Help.

My autoexec.lua :

mount_vfs_liveries_path("d:/(...full_path..)/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries")

Without this Env slider working fine, but no liveries from Saved Games folder.

• 6 months later...

To all LIVERIES ARTIST: "ModelView" LINK to SAVED GAMES!

You must add 2 lines to the "autoexec.lua" (after DSC update again!)

LINK Saved Games: Liveries for CoreMods

LINK Saved Games: MODS TEXTURES

Find in the ModelView autoexec.lua "Scan for textures" (line 69) and add:

70 scan_for_textures("C:/Users/"Your-Name"/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries") -- Mapi - Saved Games Link

71 scan_for_textures("C:/Users/"Your-Name"/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Mods") -- Mapi - Saved Games Link

Works for me, so i doint have to swap the MOD/TEXTURES ... save time

Edited by Mapi

• 1 month later...

And now we start again....

The above two lines that @Mapi pasted above worked perfectly for all mods that I could tell. (Thank you Mapi 👍)

Now after the great 2.7 update of 2021 we're seemingly back to:

mount_vfs_liveries_path     ("C:/Users/USERNAME/Saved Games/DCS/Liveries")
mount_vfs_models_path     ("C:/Users/USERNAME/Saved Games/DCS/Mods")

But this doesn't work anywhere near as well and seems a step backwards to the dark days of MV1.

e.g. loading the A-4 mod, after the model has been loaded at least once, choosing File > Recent Files loads the A-4 in the lovely missingtexture digital green camo.

you then need to go to mount textures > mount folder and locate the A-4 textures folder

then you need to reload models to get the skin to show with any roughmets etc.

AND, it still leaves missing textures such as the canopy glass & position lights etc

this of course has to be done every time MV2 is restarted

With mods such as @Bungo great HMAS Melbourne mod, I can't get a single texture to load.

Is it really that hard to fix and keep fixed or is just that they don't care.

Any way 1st world problems, I'll put the lid back on my jar of Tourettes & have a beer now.

Focker out!

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Helles Belle said:

And now we start again....

The above two lines that @Mapi pasted above worked perfectly for all mods that I could tell. (Thank you Mapi 👍)

Now after the great 2.7 update of 2021 we're seemingly back to:

mount_vfs_liveries_path     ("C:/Users/USERNAME/Saved Games/DCS/Liveries")
mount_vfs_models_path     ("C:/Users/USERNAME/Saved Games/DCS/Mods")

But this doesn't work anywhere near as well and seems a step backwards to the dark days of MV1.

e.g. loading the A-4 mod, after the model has been loaded at least once, choosing File > Recent Files loads the A-4 in the lovely missingtexture digital green camo.

you then need to go to mount textures > mount folder and locate the A-4 textures folder

then you need to reload models to get the skin to show with any roughmets etc.

AND, it still leaves missing textures such as the canopy glass & position lights etc

this of course has to be done every time MV2 is restarted

With mods such as @Bungo great HMAS Melbourne mod, I can't get a single texture to load.

Is it really that hard to fix and keep fixed or is just that they don't care.

Any way 1st world problems, I'll put the lid back on my jar of Tourettes & have a beer now.

Focker out!

Compare the old and new file, then you see the deleted lines.

Put back the block of "function scan_for_textures(path) ..."

And he goes again ..

@Mapi Yeah, I think I just cracked it, i'll post what i did shortly.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

OK, using the latest autoexec.lua I copied the following lines at starting at line 19.

function scan_for_textures(path)
    local lower_case      = path:lower()
    if lower_case:find("liveries") then
       mount_vfs_liveries_path(path)
       return
    end
    local is_texture_path  = lower_case:find("texture") ~= nil
    local mounted_already  = false 
    for file in lfs.dir(path) do
        if not service_file(file) then
           local fn       = path.."/"..file
           local attr       = lfs.attributes (fn)     
           if attr.mode     == "directory" then
              scan_for_textures(fn)
           elseif is_texture_path then
              local ext = string.sub(file,-4)
              if '.zip' == ext then
                    mount_vfs_texture_path(fn)
              elseif not mounted_already and (
                 '.dds' == ext or
                 '.bmp' == ext or
                 '.jpg' == ext or
                 '.png' == ext or
                 '.tga' == ext) then
                    mount_vfs_texture_path(path)
                    mounted_already = true
              end
           end
        end
    end
end

THEN at line 67 (after the function scan_for_environment_cubes(path) group)

I copied: (make sure to change to your username)

And ALSO check the DCS path, you may need to change DCS to DCS.openbeta or whatever your own path is.

print("----------------------------------------------------------------")
print("scan for textures and liveries")
scan_for_textures("C:/Users/USERNAME/Saved Games/DCS/Mods")

This seems to be working for me anyway.

It's brought back all liveries and textures and it doesn't need to be redone everytime.

Edited by Helles Belle

image.jpeg

@Mapi the people over at the Discord livery group thank you immensely.

Edited by Helles Belle

image.jpeg

Once we have a certain solution to this, let me know and I will edit it in the opening post

Personally I just add the following line
mount_vfs_liveries_path("C:/Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries")
Inside D:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Config\ModelViewer\autoexec.lua

But I am guessing yours also covers unofficial mod skins, right?

@Santus that’s correct, the main ones I’m using at are the A-4 and HMAS Melbourne.

Like yourself I’ve also got the mount_vfs_liveries_path lines added at the end of the lua, but these just by themselves didn’t show all textures e.g. canopy & light textures were missing (anything glass really).

Also, I needed to go to Mount Textures every time I opened MV2 and reload the textures.

Adding the extra script I posted above seemed to fix the problem so these models load every time I open MV2 with all liveries ready to select as if I was viewing a core mod.

The script I added above was basically a direct copy from the previous autoexec.lua. 

There was a bit of testing to be done as the scan_for_textures didn’t work as before for some reason.

It has worked flawlessly for me so far and seems to work for most people that have tried it over on the Discord channels.

(Obviously it’s not fool proof & requires people to enter the correct path to their own DCS folder etc)

Edited by Helles Belle

image.jpeg

On 4/16/2021 at 12:19 PM, Urbi said:

This autoexec.lua works so that I can see the textures of the models from the user mods. Replace my name with yours.

autoexec.lua 4.53 kB · 9 downloads

i just donwload your exec file , many thanks🤟😊🙏

icon modules dcs small.png

My Liveries : Download Here       IIF Project : Click here       My Discord : Isaac#5625       Iranian DCS Community Discord Channel : Click Here
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Gear :

CPU: i5 7500 @ 3.8GHz | Mainboard: ASUS STRIX H270F Gaming | Ram: 32gig 2400 | GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6G OC | Monitor: ASUS VG278HE 27" 144Hrz | Headtracker: Open Track + DIY Clips | HOTAS : T.16000M | Mouse & Keyboard: ROG IMPACT II & Cooler Master Devastator 3

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WISH LIST Maps : Iraq and West of IRAN  | Vietnam 

• Santus changed the title to Model Viewer Tips & Tricks

Looks like 51180 has broken the autoexec.lua again.

Has anyone found a fix so MOD will show again such as the A-4 etc?

image.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Helles Belle said:

Looks like 51180 has broken the autoexec.lua again.

Has anyone found a fix so MOD will show again such as the A-4 etc?

??????

"And now we start again.... "  See your posting !!!!!!!!!!!!!

😉

Yeah, I fixed it.

The lua didn't like when I copied and pasted into it for some reason.

Deleted it completely and redid it from scratch.

Thanks @Mapi

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...