Helicopters and civilian ops project

Multiplayer team

I don't know, maybe some other pilot had just picked them up? It happened again on my second attempt; no soldiers/patients at the site, just an orange smoke.

So I decided to do another misson, which was a bit further away, and then it worked!

Fantastic! This is by far the coolest thing I've done in a flight simulator!

Thank you so much!

Glad you like it! There will be a bunch more things you can do in the near future.

Regarding your issue, there was indeed a bug where empty missions without a unit slipped into the savegame, it has been fixed.

There is no manual yet, but of course it is also on the todo list. Keep in mind, the orange smoke is not exactly at the same location as the unit. It is a smoke canister a few meters away that smokes for 5 minutes, regardless what happens next. Every mission pops smoke when it hears a helicopter that does not have smoke markers turned off in its f10 radio-menu-settings.

Regardless of smoke, when you get close to an active mission itself (= a mission has at least one or more active units) you should get a message in the top right that a unit is close with a clock direction and distance to the unit (you can turn off clock-dir and distance callout in the settings, also the smoke, the beacon setting does nothing currently). Just follow those directions or land to pick up whichever unit is there. If you land at a mission with multiple unit, one unit per second will be picked up until either all units are picked up or your helicopter is full. Keep in mind, for every unit picked up, the weight of your helicopter will increase by 100kg. To check how many units you have loaded you can ask for your cargo status in the F10 menu (should be F1).

When you have units loaded, bring them to a Base. All bases have Markers on the F10 map, you can also ask for directions with F10-F3. Those directions also list how much capacity those hospitals have. If a hospital is full you wont be able to drop units there. However, you can transport units from that hospital, to one that has capacity.

A bit of future music: Currently in the pipe is some logic that releases units from the hospital once healed to free up space. If a hospital has enough supply, units heal sooner. To make sure a hospital does not run out of supply you'll be able to fly transport missions from suppliers to speed up the recovery process. We hope to finish these rather soon.

Edited by Multiplayer team

you should get a message in the top right that a unit is close with a clock direction and distance to the unit

This feature is awesome, as a VR player its really really hard(for me at least) to move my eyes and head up to view those measurements and clock directions as my head is looking at the target area and all the gauges to make the hover.

You think there is a way... maybe to show that info (distance and clock direction) on the bottom of the screen?

Loving the server, thank you so much !

c1PDJLI.png

I could reach out and grab it :megalol:

Really enjoy the steady journeys in the Mi8 around the Elbrus area. These guys really were in a tough spot.

Perhaps a little outside the scope of SAR but could also take skiiers up to the mountains with the helicopters and of course other logistics seem interesting.

Just added more casualties on mountainside :-D

Thanks a lot, love this concept!

(Some Mountain resque/flying doctor skins for the Gazelle?

Would also do with some M.A.S.H. style stretcher mounts instead of empty missile mounts).

Something needs to be done about the hospital filling up in the north. Every time I join I need to do a transfer flight first. Today I joined and on top of the hospital being full I immediately picked up 15 patients from UH-1s that somehow crashed in to the helipad at some point? Maybe they were frustrated with it being full? :helpsmilie:

Suggestion: Aircraft that despawn or crash within 1nm of a hospital or helipad don't spawn survivors to be medevac'd - they just get an ambulance to pick them up. :idea:

Hi, I am interested in flying on your server but the pure clients "enabled" function is preventing me from connecting. Would it be possible to disable it please?

Negative Ghostrider, you'll need to disable the mods you have that are tainting your IC.

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

Hi, I am interested in flying on your server but the pure clients "enabled" function is preventing me from connecting. Would it be possible to disable it please?

Disabling integrity check can cause people who modify their game files to flow into server to troll, cheat, etc. it is a hard decision to make at the moment.

Something needs to be done about the hospital filling up in the north. Every time I join I need to do a transfer flight first. Today I joined and on top of the hospital being full I immediately picked up 15 patients from UH-1s that somehow crashed in to the helipad at some point? Maybe they were frustrated with it being full? :helpsmilie:

Yes that hospital was a bit on the small side. Changes like these are quick and easy to implement. Please keep posting your suggestions!

The server has just been updated with a new Version. Apart from a few bugfixes we have also increased the Sizes of the hospital. The biggest change however is they have also stopped just filling up, they will now also release Units after some time once "they healed".

For now that system is very simple, the time is a random time between 1 and 6 hours.

Please let us know how this works out. Adjusting the numbers as said above is easy, especially with your feedback.

Also if you have further ideas, we'd love to hear them! Even the most ridiculous idea can trigger another idea that is significantly less stupid :joystick:

To refuel use helipads. Single or 4 pad FARPs. No way around it for now as it is core DCS mechanic.

Got it, thank you !

Did you see my question on page 3?

Is there a way to print the direction and distance to units on the bottom of the screen?

Its hard to check it in VR while looking at the gauges and trying to hover... well, for me at least.

Just a thought.

Once again, thank you for this server, fun !

I also applaud the initiative to bring more rotary wing friendly servers online!

I was on the server today and wondered if there might be a better way to initiate missions.

Would there be a way for each pilot to request a SAR or have each individual pilot be assigned their own specific mission once they inform dispatch they are available?

Like what they do in this mission plugin: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305971/

Why I am wondering;

I was on your server and approaching a cluster of 4 "downed Huey's" and came across 2 other helicopters circling and trying to line up on top of one of the smoke plumes. This made the possibility of a collision huge since nobody was talking on SRS and it was impossible to see which of the 4 smoke plumes each of the other two helicopters were lining up on.

As I continued playing, I noticed a trend. Helicopters circling like vultures waiting for a smoke plume to appear and then they would fly off to try to get to it first. It kind of became a competitive free for all which seemed more about collecting more patients than anybody else.

I would suggest that the only congestion we should encounter as pilots would be back at the hospitals/landing areas, where using a CTAF frequency specific for each landing area should be utilized.

In addition, it would be great for the Huey crashes (or any other kind of rescue operation) to at least have something physically in place to represent each type of rescue (wrecked cars, helicopter sitting on the ground, people on the rooftop of a burning building, etc...). Trying to hover over a smoke plume makes it hard to find the actual center of the rescue. And even though you do provide coordinates once you get close, trying to hover while looking down and then looking up to see which direction and how far to the center of the rescue doesn't really work too well for keeping a stable hover going unless you can use the autohover autopilot cheat in DCS for the Huey and the Mi-8.

Also, in the future, will you guys be providing a Mod pack for your specific server?

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth, and if any of these ideas are outside of the scope of your project, then feel free to disregard them.

Great job on bringing some fun to us rotor-heads and I am anxiously awaiting more updates and developments!

Thanks,

Capt_Dunsil

Edited by Capt_Dunsil

I like the freedom of picking up whatever Mission comes along your flight, but maybe it would be good to be able to select a mission and have it exlusively available for yourself, to prevent others from "looting" it ...

Edited by 0xDEADBEEF
typo

Got it, thank you !

Did you see my question on page 3?

Is there a way to print the direction and distance to units on the bottom of the screen?

Its hard to check it in VR while looking at the gauges and trying to hover... well, for me at least.

Just a thought.

Hey Spider! Sorry for not replying right away. We are absolutely on your page with this idea, unfortunately in terms of what we can do, there is no API to display any information to the User except this box in the top right and the chat window. It might be possible to adjust the position of the window by modding some files on your local system, but this is not something we would recommend every user to do. Eventually we'll add voice hints later on, like having a crew chief look out of the window for you.

I also applaud the initiative to bring more rotary wing friendly servers online!

I was on the server today and wondered if there might be a better way to initiate missions.

Would there be a way for each pilot to request a SAR or have each individual pilot be assigned their own specific mission once they inform dispatch they are available?

Like what they do in this mission plugin: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305971/

Why I am wondering;

I was on your server and approaching a cluster of 4 "downed Huey's" and came across 2 other helicopters circling and trying to line up on top of one of the smoke plumes. This made the possibility of a collision huge since nobody was talking on SRS and it was impossible to see which of the 4 smoke plumes each of the other two helicopters were lining up on.

As I continued playing, I noticed a trend. Helicopters circling like vultures waiting for a smoke plume to appear and then they would fly off to try to get to it first. It kind of became a competitive free for all which seemed more about collecting more patients than anybody else.

I would suggest that the only congestion we should encounter as pilots would be back at the hospitals/landing areas, where using a CTAF frequency specific for each landing area should be utilized.

In addition, it would be great for the Huey crashes (or any other kind of rescue operation) to at least have something physically in place to represent each type of rescue (wrecked cars, helicopter sitting on the ground, people on the rooftop of a burning building, etc...). Trying to hover over a smoke plume makes it hard to find the actual center of the rescue. And even though you do provide coordinates once you get close, trying to hover while looking down and then looking up to see which direction and how far to the center of the rescue doesn't really work too well for keeping a stable hover going unless you can use the autohover autopilot cheat in DCS for the Huey and the Mi-8.

Also, in the future, will you guys be providing a Mod pack for your specific server?

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth, and if any of these ideas are outside of the scope of your project, then feel free to disregard them.

Great job on bringing some fun to us rotor-heads and I am anxiously awaiting more updates and developments!

Thanks,

Capt_Dunsil

Thank you for your input Captain!

This is something that actually received a significant amount of consideration early on during development. Eventually decision was made that for now every unit is free for everyone and accept that there will be some "scavenging" and high traffic for missions. Not due to lazyness but due to the already mentioned limitations in terms of User Interface API.

On one side, it is important for us to leave freedom to pilots. If you are injured and need a helicopter you do not care which helicopter comes, as long as it comes fast, which ofc is annoying for people flying helicopters, if you flew all the way to a unit far away, just to have it picked away by another helicopter right in front your nose. But at the same time we'd like to leave some freedom to pilots. If you only picked one unit from start, but pass another one on the way then why not let you pick it up?

That said, we are still considering pilots to be able to be assigned to a specific mission but we still have to solve the user interface problem. Currently the only way of input is through the F10 radio menu and the only way of output is the black textbox in the top right. Eventually the upcoming website will help solving that problem, so you could use your phone or a second screen with a browser to interact with the mission, eventually even get distance readouts there.

Please rest assured, your input is never being disregarded. It is your experience that helps us shape the mission as we move along with development. Feedback is always welcomed, even if it was the most stupid thing (which this input certainly isnt :))

No modpack on the horizon so far, sorry.

Hey Spider! Sorry for not replying right away. We are absolutely on your page with this idea, unfortunately in terms of what we can do, there is no API to display any information to the User except this box in the top right and the chat window. It might be possible to adjust the position of the window by modding some files on your local system, but this is not something we would recommend every user to do. Eventually we'll add voice hints later on, like having a crew chief look out of the window for you.

Of course, I just asked :)

Thank you for your answer

Hey folks....

when is that server up? Can't find it in the server names list.

Cheers

My System: Full Scale Huey SimPit

-Pit Computer: i7-12700K | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro | 64GB DDR5 RAM | Nvidia RTX3090FE | Kingston KC3000 NVme

- All day use: i7-4790K | 32GB DDR4 RAM | ASRock Z97 Killer | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Oculus Rift | Pimax8KX | Sensoryx VRFree Gloves | X-TAL VR

It is up 24/7. You can also connect by IP using this adress: 145.239.150.127:10312

Somehow I keep getting this message:

Screen.thumb.jpg.f5f315140e13acc5e6e3445bc289564a.jpg

My System: Full Scale Huey SimPit

-Pit Computer: i7-12700K | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro | 64GB DDR5 RAM | Nvidia RTX3090FE | Kingston KC3000 NVme

- All day use: i7-4790K | 32GB DDR4 RAM | ASRock Z97 Killer | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Oculus Rift | Pimax8KX | Sensoryx VRFree Gloves | X-TAL VR