Helicopters and civilian ops project

Multiplayer team

I think the change in fire spreading is a game-centric decision, which is quite welcome, even if it's a departure from realism in wildfires. I'll be the first to say this is a flight sim, not a fire sim. Wind does a lot more than just dictate the spread of fire and to do it justice would become very convoluted. Better to just let pilots enjoy themselves dumping water and making that particular bit of gameplay enjoyable.

• Like 2

Torun_signature.png

Bonjour, j’ai pu observer un autre joueur se battre contre un gigantesque incendie cet après-midi... le rendu est super impressionnant !!

[url=https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=22/05/c5sc.png][img]https://zupimages.net/up/22/05/c5sc.png[/img][/url]

Edited by Fred_77
  • Like 1

En 1/2/2022 a las 16:19, Multiplayer team dijo:

We are discussing adding mods, but for the very near future we will continue our no mods policy. We are observing the development though! 

In the meanwhile we have a rather substantial update to our Firefighting System! We are now finally able to use the big smoke effect, which should substantially help with immersion. Apart from that, when dropping water you will now have a smoke trail indicating that and where you dropped water. The smoke does not fall down like water does, but still we consider this significantly better than it was before. 

The most imporant change: we have reversed the direction Fire travels. It now travels into the wind, and is not blown by the wind. We believe this is much more intuitive and should have actually been done like this from the start. 

Please let us know what you think!

Screen_220201_161030.png

I don't usually fly like firefigther but the new smoke plumes look fantastic, I'll try this part.

I understand the refusal to mods, it is true that the UH-60 still needs work, I hope that if in the future this mod ends up being of quality and does not compromise the stability of the game, you will take it into account.

Have you considered the possibility of inserting a rescue beacon? Assign a frequency to downed pilots or accidents to be able to search for them by ADF? On other servers it is done and adds some realism.

Thank you for this wonderful server and for your work, which I enjoy almost daily!

En 1/2/2022 a las 15:53, Torun dijo:

I tried the UH-60. It's a great start, it's quite nice for the kind of flying this server promotes, but let's be real - it's rather early to call it high quality. It needs to mature yet. The reason I'm saying this is that there's still a considerable bit of jank involved with the mod and it's something the admins have to consider intently and weigh it with the rest of their priorities in developing the server.

The flight model lets you get away with a lot, it's like Settling with Power doesn't exist (yes, I'm one of those people who consider this separate from VRS, which used to be exagerated instead) and it somehow has enough countertorque to maintain strafing at 90 kt. I haven't been flying helicopters, well, ever, so I can't say if it's realistic, but it flies easier than in ArmA. That's strange.

Ultimately, I don't care who flies what, but the mod is in early development and so its stability comes into question.

It's true, it's going too well, luckily it's a mod that is being updated and there are developers who are doing a great job.
There are other "official" mods whose flight model is much discussed as the "gazelle" but since they carry the "official" label they are used.
It is also necessary to see if it does not compromise the stability of the server, although apparently it behaves very well since in the servers where it is accepted at the moment there are no problems.

Cross our fingers!

Hello, I have noticed that the smoke that marks building on fire lasts only for a minute or two from the time the building starts burning.

Moreover, during my flight something happend and

- I was not able to chose water tank level,

- I was able to load 5000 kg of water.

P.S. Firefigters' Mi8s have IR exaust suppresors and pylons on.

Edited by ludweek

hey ludweek!

Ah indeed, the building-fires need an update, thanks for pointing it out! 

whenever you find something that does not work, please if possible let us know the exact time and timezone it happened, so we can check if theres something in the log. 

Also regarding mi8 slots with exaust suppressors and pylons, please let us know which slots specifically. most of them should be in clean configuration. 

2 hours ago, Multiplayer team said:

hey ludweek!

Ah indeed, the building-fires need an update, thanks for pointing it out! 

whenever you find something that does not work, please if possible let us know the exact time and timezone it happened, so we can check if theres something in the log. 

Also regarding mi8 slots with exaust suppressors and pylons, please let us know which slots specifically. most of them should be in clean configuration. 

Sorry, I didn't realize there are two servers. All I have written in the previous post involves the Caucasus region.

All firefighers' Mi8s in Caucasus have exhaust suppressors and pylons. Those in Syria are without them.

The water-loading problem happend in Caucasus between 5. Feb. 2022, 19:12 CET (UTC+1) and 5. Feb. 2022, 20:31 CET (UTC+1). I am certain about the upper time limit, because I took a screenshot showing that I have 5000 kg of water with me. And I am allmost certain about the lower time limit, because of another screenshot with the forest fire. I remember that I extinguished this fire (everything worked normally) and went for the burning building that I was not able to pinpoint because of the missing smoke. After the building stopped burning by itself and new one started I checked that the smoke on the building stops prematurely and then went back for the new forest fire. On my way there I tried to replenish my water tanks. At that time I was able to get that large amount of water and could not change the water tak limit.

As I am writing this (6. feb. 2022, 15:30 CET (UTC+1)) I am in the SAR Caucasus server at the same time and it looks like the smoke marking the burning building is not visible while the building is 81% extinguished.

Anyway, thank you for your these servers. You are doing a great job. Those new fires look fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your work @Multiplayer team 👍

After several flights on your server i'm very happy to fly with all this comunity.

New black smoke is a good improvement

I like it so much, so here I am to provide a bit of feedback coming from RL FF / SAR experience,

1.- In FF flights, helicopters also carry fire crews. They land close to the flanks and firemans disembark to battle the flames on ground. The helicopters support the firemans from the air and together they put out the fire. This sure is difficult to implement but perhaps a fire transport function could be added to defined points around the fire. Some examples:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Perhaps if a certain number of "firemans" are concentrated on the ground, the intensity/speed of the fire could go down. Fighting fire is similar to fighting a war in CAS missions, there are "troops" that are firemans ans aerial firefighters who help these "troops"

2.- I know a lot of airplane pilots here at DCS who would be happy to fly a Mosquito here in FF configuration 😁

3.- SAR over water and some bases on frigates or landing ships (if it can be moving better)

See you on the server 🚁

Edited by Kamov32
  • Like 3

Awesome suggestions @Kamov32, especially about the Mosquito. Its speed and capacity is easily balanced by its limitations in taking water only from larger bodies and requiring a field to depart from, increasing leg distances. And with it being an official module, stability won't be much of an issue. Though the question remains if it would even be possible to add weight to its cargo dynamically, as it might not have any cargo to speak of.

Edited by Torun

Torun_signature.png

especially about the Mosquito. Its speed and capacity is easily balanced by its limitations in taking water only from larger bodies and requiring a field to depart from, increasing leg distances. And with it being an official module, stability won't be much of an issue. Though the question remains if it would even be possible to add weight to its cargo dynamically, as it might not have any cargo to speak o

I know a few Air Tractor pilots who also have DCS as a hobby and have their preferences, but the most popular models they told me to fly FF here at DCS are the Mosquito and the P47  😆

I also think that both would interact very well with the helicopters on the server.

There are many "civilian" operations that in their basic part coincide with military operations: SAR with CSAR, external loads (there is everything to do here) or FAC with the coordination planes in forest fires or in searches at sea (such as the USCG C130 / C144 Ocean Sentry). I have read further back that they are working on the Marianas scenary. This would be a good place to do sea rescue supported by a fixed wing, such as "missions" where you look for a shipwreck (aircraft task) and be able to launch something as a raft (like oldies B17), be able to mark it on the map where are the wreck and then the helicopters can go to get them out.

Ofcoruse this is a suggestion, I have no idea about computers and I don't know if it is possible, but it would be wonderful to expand operations on the sea and be able to add a couple of propeller planes with the helicopters on this server for joint tasks.

That's why I'm so glad I found this site here at DCS, and best wishes to the server developers, you're amazing guys! 💪

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's an old thing and I keep fussing about it, but sling loading is still not working properly, cargoes aren't recognized by bases when dropped. I know we can transport stuff internally but what's the fun in that? 😂

Anyway, this is what happened a while after I dropped my cargo today: a baby monolith was born and then started growing 🤔

DCS 2022-02-25 15-00-02res.png

Some pics from today in both sceneries,

Looking forward fro Marianas one 🤩

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2022.03.01 - 00.47.34.92.png

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2022.02.28 - 22.47.02.38.png

On 2/25/2022 at 4:20 PM, xmegasuro said:

Anyway, this is what happened a while after I dropped my cargo today: a baby monolith was born and then started growing 🤔

I don't know why it happens, but sometimes i have the same mistake in another servers (rotorheads the last one), me and another players; it seems sometimes happens 🤷‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

I know that my question has most likely been asked several times, and i can only guess that you want to keep it as vanilla as possible, but i'll give it a shot anyways:

Any plans on implementing the UH-60 & Hercules mod? (perhaps on a modded SAR server). The UH-60 despite being a user-created mod, is actually a very fun and complicated aircraft to fly, also its a UH-60, one of the coolest helicopter ever conceived by any helicopter manufacturer.

The hercules would be pretty neato to transport large quantities of supplies from a main supply airfield to operational hospital airfields & FARP bases, as the hercules is brilliant at landing in grassy fields and unformed land.

But i guess i can reckon the answer, stability of servers and all.

Thanks! -Tesla

Norwegian Rotorhead w\ All Helicopters

Watercooled AMD FX-8350 | Geforce 1060 6GB | 16 GiG DDR3 | Warthog Everything w/ pendulum pedals | Rift VR

Watercooled AMD Ryzen 9500X | RTX 3080 12GB | 64 GB DDR4 3600mhz | Warthog Everything w/Pendulum Pedals | Rift VR (CV1)