Walleye targeting makes no sense

LastRifleRound

I have realistic TDC enabled, using the datalink

The Walleye does NOT follow the cursor, not at all. It only follows the cursor IF it has a lock. On some structures, the walleye just will not lock, so it seems there are certain structures you simply cannot hit with the thing.

I don't see this mentioned anywhere. Am I the only one who notices this? Everyone talks like the bomb can be steered in flight but it seems to completely ignore all of my slewing unless I get it to lock on to something, then it "jumps" right to the target.

Am I doing something wrong? Every tutorial I've ever seen doesn't mention anything about this at all.

Attached a track for evidence

walleye.trk

Edited by LastRifleRound

Also note, time of day drastically changes the walleyes ability to lock. The above track is at around 5PM local, at sunset. The walleye will not lock any of the targets below (even though there is plenty of visible light, perhaps there's too much? Don't know if this is modeled or a bug).

The below track takes place at 12PM local. Look how easily I'm able to lock the targets and hit them. Also this is evidence that I do know how to use the walleye and that I question the ability of the bomb to be "flown", as I easily hit both of the targets here by locking them

walleye_noon.trk

I couldn't get a lock either with "walleye.trk" I even tried with the sun at my back (made the bunker very hard to ID, especially with glare on the LDDI).

Also I noticed that with Walleye Display on the LDDI, RDR on the RDDI, and HSI on the AMPCD.. there's nowhere for caution messages to populate. I kept getting what I assume was the HOME FUEL caution, but there was no display able to depict it.

I couldn't get a lock either with "walleye.trk" I even tried with the sun at my back (made the bunker very hard to ID, especially with glare on the LDDI).

Also I noticed that with Walleye Display on the LDDI, RDR on the RDDI, and HSI on the AMPCD.. there's nowhere for caution messages to populate. I kept getting what I assume was the HOME FUEL caution, but there was no display able to depict it.

Same here, angle doesn't seem to matter at all, so I'm guessing the actual lighting conditions don't matter, only time of day.

I also can't get cautions to populate with that configuration

I hate using the walleye too, mostly because I remember using the weapon from Jane's. in that sim all you had to do was un-cage the camera, change its orientation and re-cage, then the bomb would attempt to fly to that new location. That was fun using that weapon,but with this walleye needing to lock onto a contrast, more than half the time if I move the camera it won't lock onto anything ever again

The walleye is oooold!

Found this piece of info.

Electro-optical [EO] sensors such as used on Walleye depend on both light and optical contrast for target searching and identification. This obviates their use at night and in significantly adverse weather or visual conditions where the line of sight to a target was obscured. The requirement for visual contrast between the target and its immediate surroundings imposed problems during Desert Storm. For Walleye delivery, F/A-18 pilots reported that a target was sometimes indistinguishable from its own shadow. This made it difficult to reliably designate the actual target, rather than its shadow, for a true weapon hit. The the low-light conditions at dawn and dusk often provided insufficient light for the required degree of optical contrast. A "haze penetrator" version of Walleye used low-light optics to see through daytime haze and at dawn and dusk, permitting use in some of the conditions in which other optical systems were limited.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.