FW190D9 can't dogfight.

Snapage

I would say if you use curves with the mustang add the same to the Dora.

I fought with and against both online pretty extensively and I used 20 for pitch & roll, and 30 for yaw, personally. That is also with a 200mm extension.

I flew them both pretty similarly, usually up fairly high. Keep your speed up and be very selective about committing to a turn, but when you do you can drop flaps (take off or even full) to help delay the stall onset and pull pretty good.

With the gunsight the key I found was to bind it to an absolute axis you can easily modulate while fighting. Even then, it’s not that useful in a fight where the opponent is aware of you. Works great for lining up the initial shot on a bounce, though.

• Like 1

thx i try the settings. only have a x52 so no extensions for me.

on both the 51 and dora ive set the distance adjustment to the slider on the throttle like the twist grip on both real counterparts. however i tend to have a fixed distance for maximum effect / convergence. pony its 1100 ft and dora is 600 m (which both is about the same distance) but it feels much trickier to aim as the sightpane of the ez sight is rather small and disappears regularly in turns... the ez sight has that elevation correction that the k14 doesnt have.  you guys make use of that? i mean doing all this on the fly is insane to say at least..

Edited by Doughguy

Ponny has convergence at 1200ft at least according to manual. 600m is almost 2000ft which i doubt that dora is set for this range.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

hm dont have the manual handy on my phone but i recall quite vividly that the convergence is 1100 ft. there were some real charts here regarding that matter. never had probs with that setting either.

just checked the official dora manual and actually cant find any info regarding the convergence. only chucks guide mentiones 600m. yes it appears to be a lot. read same on forum and that its the regular convergence range german fighters were set up for.

im open to suggestions tho... cause is sure spout vile crap like snoopy impersonating the red baron when trying to gun down the ponys with the longnose.

Edited by Doughguy

What convergence was used in RL and what is used in DCS are not always the same, though (pattern vs point in US planes is primary example). Unfortunately, ED have been tight-lipped about what they have programmed in most of their warbirds.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Not true, they've repeatedly said since ever how guns are harmonized as per manual, and they've posted those diagrams, easily found on the internet though. It's no secret at all, and we know how and why it's done.

About the predictive sight, since the real deal has a throttle twist available for the purpose (as the P-51 has either), but we certainly don't use to have that, I rather prefer to set it up at 600m since it's the harmonization distance and make my own calculations on the fly for closer ranges/wingspans. Against fighters, which is most of the time, you don't need much more than that IMO and it works fair enough even in closer distances than being fiddling with secondary axes, distances, and all while in combat.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

2 hours ago, grafspee said:

Ponny has convergence at 1200ft at least according to manual. 600m is almost 2000ft which i doubt that dora is set for this range.

No, it wasn't. The problem is we deal with many so different units here,

- 600 metres Luftwaffe,

- 1000 feet (about 300 metres) in USAAF,

- 250 yards (about 240 meters I believe) in RAF mid to end war ones, 400 yards in early war examples IIRC.

It's such a mess handling all those different units and they usually get mixed up quite easily, at least they do in my rather poor brain.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

On 6/30/2022 at 5:41 PM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

No, it wasn't. The problem is we deal with many so different units here,

- 600 metres Luftwaffe,

- 1000 feet (about 300 metres) in USAAF,

- 250 yards (about 240 meters I believe) in RAF mid to end war ones, 400 yards in early war examples IIRC.

It's such a mess handling all those different units and they usually get mixed up quite easily, at least they do in my rather poor brain.

I finally founded it,  250 yards was setting for early P-51s with N-9 sight this is the diagram for K-14 sight,

DFRzB7v.jpeg

as you can see point of converge is somewhere at 1400ft and the patter of guns align is different.

And it is no mess for me to handle different units.

So early P-51 about 900-1000 ft and later versions about 1400ft

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Thanks, didn't recall that diagram, the one I think of was one with a P-47 drawing on it and 1000 feet harmonization, thought that to be a later one, not the earlier.

The 600m might look too much, but German fighters using it had mostly nose mounted, or close, guns, so no problem with convergence. Dora certainly doesn't have a problem with that distance having all guns mounted pretty close to aircraft's central axis.

7 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Thanks, didn't recall that diagram, the one I think of was one with a P-47 drawing on it and 1000 feet harmonization, thought that to be a later one, not the earlier.

It is exactly same for p47 early sight 250yards and 350yards for later sight.

So after few skirms on the op jupiter server and having finally grasped how to land this thing properly i must say that fighting in the dora is quite "challenging". This brick certainly doesnt like to turn and stalls come fast. Ive shot down 4 planes. 2 were a rookie pilot that was unaccustomed to  a p51 or any form of "manouvering" and another good one i just managed to latch onto diving out of the clouds. Another was an ace ai i guess in a p47. I particularly had most problems with any type of scissors. Its nice to know that the dora rolls fast but as soon as you want to execute a turn that thing immediatelly starts to shake and stall. So im not sure if you guys deploy flaps in these manouvers? Cause i cant unless i have good speed. But in most cases it was sufficient enough to firewall the dora and extend away after breaking contact with the bandit and then climb loiter and reengage. I must say that spotting ia a real obstacle. Especially against the bare ground. The planes lack any form of reflection. Granted thats how you can get away and pilots did but not against ai. But the real challange is to apply b&z tactics or any kind of strafing/slashing attacks from high above if you cant make out the enemy below.

Tad frustrating.

In the mustang ive shot down 7 players and no deaths whereas i was killed 3 times in the dora (because im a idiot pilot)

Btw do you leave on mw50 on all the time? It jumps in over 1.5 ata anyway? Does it have an effect below that?

Edited by Doughguy

You can leave MW50 connected most of the time, since it isn't working until you push throttle forward you're fine just controlling your RPM and it'll be there available the moment you need it.

Remember Dora Komandogerat works as an RPM selector, Ata indication is just that, an indication and extra info you don't really need. 109 works selecting Ata manifold pressure, but not Dora. They sport different engines.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doughguy said:

Btw do you leave on mw50 on all the time? It jumps in over 1.5 ata anyway? Does it have an effect below that?

In Fw-190 mw50 injection works different from Bf-109. In Bf-109 if you max out throttle it will boost to 1.8 ata and 2700rpm regardless mw50 switch position so in Bf-109 you need to turn on mw-50 all the time, in Fw-190 if you have mw-50 off, engine will limit boost, so with throttle full on with out mw 50 you will get 1.56/1.65 depend on which supercharger speed you are on, if you flip mw-50 on and move throttle full on it will boost higher something like 1.9 to 2.1 depends on supercharger gear. If you have throttle below max mw-50 won't engage. 

Mw-50 improve detonation resistance of air fuel mixture so engine can operate at higher ATA safely and it cools air/fuel charge which increase power as well.

Edited by grafspee

39 minutes ago, Doughguy said:

Roger. On what occassions do you use the mw50? Guess during combat but only on climbs or in general during an engagement?

Mostly in climbs during combat, when you dive this additional power has near zero contribution compare to gravity force 🙂

As said, you set throttle to 3000rpm, or with MW50 you're allowed to 3250 IIRC, not Ata aside that it changes with altitude but rpm don't 🙂 .

9 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

As said, you set throttle to 3000rpm, or with MW50 you're allowed to 3250 IIRC, not Ata aside that it changes with altitude but rpm don't 🙂 .

Wrong. In fw190 d9 you can use full range of throttle with mw50 or without does not matter unlike it is in bf109

It's being a while since my last time flying D-9, quite true. Whatever it is, not sure how long does 3250 rpm last without MW50, anyhow you, and I mean YOU, said couple posts before throttle is limited without MW50 which I didn't even remember, but you won't go any further than 3250rpm with or without MW50, then, what's the point in having MW50 if you can't go any further than a limit already there? You're missing something on the explain which I don't care for myself, I would find out the very first time I fly Dora again, but this thread was trying to answer some questions for others :thumbup:.

So, what is it? 3250 or not? 3000 or not? What's limiting your throttle with and without MW50, is it really Ata? I'll say again, Komandogerat here isn't a manifold pressure selector, is an RPM selector and the thing will keep it safe for the RPM selected whatever the conditions and altitude. That's not any obscure thing only I and myself know, it's clearly stated on the aircraft's manual which I read back in time 😜 . So?

@Ala13_ManOWar Throttle is linked with rpm governor if you push throttle full on you get 3250rpm and depends on mw50 switch position you will get more or less ata. That is pretty much it 

Ok, but it tells more info on how it works to the OP writer, isn't it? You kept telling about this or that Ata which isn't the thing here  😉 .

Anyhow I believe without MW50 there were different limits and 3250 weren't the best option without it but 3000 max. Will recheck the manual some time.

19 minutes ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Ok, but it tells more info on how it works to the OP writer, isn't it? You kept telling about this or that Ata which isn't the thing here  😉 .

Anyhow I believe without MW50 there were different limits and 3250 weren't the best option without it but 3000 max. Will recheck the manual some time.

You can use 3250 rpm with no problem w/o mw50. I think that you are mixing bf109 here. In case of k-4 you cant use max rpm without mw50. According to dcs manual 3250 has 30min limit and above 7500m 3250 is certified as continous.

Edited by grafspee

Didnt want to get too technical 😶

After few more flights im getting the hang of the angry lawnmower. Gotta fly it in a very specific way only otherwise ones dead meat.

Reshade helped alot with the spotting issue.

Still struggeling with any type of evasive manouvering in the dora as this thing departs just damn quick.

Eg when i do a lag roll i usually start with a flat turn yoyo then stick opposite direction and pull back and rudder same direction as stick. Works like a charm with the mustang even with lower speeds but with the dora.. idk. Maybe i should go back to basics with manouvering since im self taught. Any specific order of inputs for above manouver? It sort of works fine at higher speeds eg 500kph but if i pull back to hard on the stick (bout same as mustang gut feeling wise) the thing departs and snap rolls back... not to speak of speeds above 300kph...

Same with scissors. Be it flat or rolling. 

If i cant execute a lagroll fast and tigth it kinda defies the purpose. Any suggestions?

I know ones to fight in vertical with the dora and to run away and reengage. That usually works. But youre not always safe from f*ckups.

Edited by Doughguy