FW190D9 can't dogfight.

Snapage

Please provide a full video with combat maneuvers (against AI will do), because on my side, the engine quits frequently..

Hi, I may be able to, I was on the LFDM server, on the channel map last night(-5z) so they may have a tacveiw of it. I have been looking in the manual to try to find the engine operating limits, however I cant find where it gives a MW-50 limitation anymore. if my memory is correct, it seems to me it was 10 mins. on and 5 mins. off, and then 10 on again, but I am not sure. I will keep checking. one thing too, I decrease throttle just a little in the turn, as it turns a lot better, so MW-50 is not on constantly... I have a track of last night, but I cant post it , it is too long.

Edited by Andy1966

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I swear my fuel strainer got plugged up, man it ran bad... lol. Normandy instant action dogfight. talk about pucker factor. was still fun, I was not expecting the engine to stall..

dora flight.trk

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Std. Operating limit was 10 min at a time with a 5 min interval in between, but afaik you could run with it for all 40 min without risking damage due to how effective the cooling effect of MW50 was.

Of course, MW is much more efficient than water injection only..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

thank you for the info! I am going to try tonight on a homemade mission, It seems as misc. failures is enabled in that instant action mission. I may be wrong about that, but I had a failure of some kind in each of the 3 missions I flew last night. ( may it was me) I never had an engine stall like that, the prop stop, then nose down and the prop started spinning and the engine started back up, but ran like it was starved of fuel. but it really put me in a "land at nearest airfield" mode.

Edited by Andy1966

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You shouldn't be able to "blow up" the engine. These machines were operated by 20 year olds under extreme stress. The engine might have to be replaced, but it wasn't going to just die because someone did something dumb.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

You shouldn't be able to "blow up" the engine. These machines were operated by 20 year olds under extreme stress. The engine might have to be replaced, but it wasn't going to just die because someone did something dumb.

That's a wrong assumption.

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Not an assumption.

Find me one example from ww2 of a pilot whose engine stopped mid flight only because of pilot error. The literature has many examples of the contrary, where pilot error did not seize the engine.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Not an assumption.

Find me one example from ww2 of a pilot whose engine stopped mid flight only because of pilot error. The literature has many examples of the contrary, where pilot error did not seize the engine.

Right... Just because there are reports of Pilots, who abused the engine, and came away with it, you assume the stuff you wrote. It doesn't work that way.

What is the relation of successfully overstressed aircraft/engines and not successful overstressed to the total numer of this type of aircraft/engine?

There are reasons why there might be less reports of abused aircraft/engines which broke because of that. Maybe the pilots didn't want to report that they overstressed the aircraft by exceeding the limits, and instead reported, that it just broke down by its own, because they were afraid of punishment; or they even didn't realize they overstessed it. Or they didn't make it home, because the engine quit so they had to bail or crash and came into captivity, or died.

For some time the Bf109s were not allowed to use its WEP because it quickly destoyed the engine. To prevent pilots to get into this power regime, the throttle was mechanically restricted to combat power only.

Do you really think the engineers make fun of the pilots by telling them irrelevant limitations in the Flight manuals and then sitting at their desk and laughing and thinking: Hehe those pesky Pilots, they obey limits, that are totally unnecessary and thus have artificially inferior aircraft ...Muahaha...

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Not an assumption.

Those one who did get engine seizure didn't live to tall the story.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Not an assumption.

Those one who did get engine seizure didn't live to tell the story.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Hi, I may be able to, I was on the LFDM server, on the channel map last night(-5z) so they may have a tacveiw of it. I have been looking in the manual to try to find the engine operating limits, however I cant find where it gives a MW-50 limitation anymore. if my memory is correct, it seems to me it was 10 mins. on and 5 mins. off, and then 10 on again, but I am not sure. I will keep checking. one thing too, I decrease throttle just a little in the turn, as it turns a lot better, so MW-50 is not on constantly... I have a track of last night, but I cant post it , it is too long.

Just fly at 300kmh or less at full throttle with MW50. That will kill it. It won't just stop completely it will produce way less power and run rough and if you throttle back you won't get much power at all when throttle is forward. You need to stay at critical altitude though. So on the deck. Climbing reduces engine power so you won't be running at max ATA.

Just fly at 300kmh or less at full throttle with MW50. That will kill it. It won't just stop completely it will produce way less power and run rough and if you throttle back you won't get much power at all when throttle is forward. You need to stay at critical altitude though. So on the deck. Climbing reduces engine power so you won't be running at max ATA.
This is NEW behaviour.. She starts shaking as soon as you engage the MW50. Something is definitely not right here.

Sent from my Redmi 5 using Tapatalk

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

copy that thank you

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just bought the FW-190 D.

I hammered it a lot as far as RPM.

I didn't seem to have any problem with the engine.

Just experimenting with it now.

Roll is very good.

On take off, goes to the left a bit but not anything that can't be controlled.

Kind of like a P-47 on takeoff but not as pronounced.

Actually kind of nice on takeoff for a tail dragger.

Landings is nice from what I've experienced.

Nice climb.

Does loop and split S with no problems.

Loops were surprisingly tight once I got used to the stick a little.

Can turn tight with rudder.

At 20,000 feet, cruises right along. (Will take it higher later.)

I haven't compared, but about the same speed as a P-47 but seems to get there a little bit faster.

Does not gain as much speed in a dive as a P-47.

Lighter on the stick than a P-47.

Respectable firepower.

With an experience 190 pilot, I don't see why it wouldn't be competitive.

Overall, cool airplane, I like it.

• 10 months later...

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

• 8 months later...

so i made the transistion from the p51 to the dora and stacked few hours innit already.

its a different beast and its giving me a headache.

do you guys set curves on the stick aswell like on the mustang and/or add bit of flaps during turn?

to me it feels like the dora is departing much faster than the p51 in any turns. even if i turn inverted into a dive and apply light stick pull (eg following a mustang) the dora starts shaking violently and departs very fast. same in a steep climb. granted i fly against ai mainly but but the comparison alone makes it feel weird. given the fact ones supposed to dive and get away from the opponent the moment you depart makes you a sitting duck.

is it just me or someone else feels the same way? 

Edited by Doughguy

4 hours ago, Doughguy said:

so i made the transistion from the p51 to the dora and stacked few hours innit already.

its a different beast and its giving me a headache.

do you guys set curves on the stick aswell like on the mustang and/or add bit of flaps during turn?

to me it feels like the dora is departing much faster than the p51 in any turns. even if i turn inverted into a dive and apply light stick pull (eg following a mustang) the dora starts shaking violently and departs very fast. same in a steep climb. granted i fly against ai mainly but but the comparison alone makes it feel weird. given the fact ones supposed to dive and get away from the opponent the moment you depart makes you a sitting duck.

is it just me or someone else feels the same way? 

Dora is definitely departing much faster then P-51, the Fw190 have at same given Speed ah much lower maximum possible G-Force in Turns because the Construction of the wings had some flaws. (Wingflex was not ok) Also Wingload of the Dora is much higher then that of the P51 also the 190 used NACA Profiles that was know for sharp Stall characteristic without much Warning in form of Stickshacke. And the maximum Lift is less then of the P-51.

The 190 uses type of Split-flaps that are easy to conctruct but they offer little to no lift with a harsh drag penalty compared to the  plain Flap of the P-51.Would use only small amount of Flaps or no Flaps at all.

The 190 requires ah carefull type of Flying with smooth Stick inputs more the type energy Maneuvers and outfly your Opponent and not outturn him. 

Edited by MAD-MM

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

ok. so my gut feeling wasnt wrong.

i guess down low one can extend flaps to start pos and do barrelrolls or  split s manouvers to shake the enemy of the six as sort of last resort but executing a split s with the dora and the quick departure is tedious! no such probs with the mustang.

guess have to play around with that a bit and try input curves. any suggestions?

aiming in the dora is tricky tho. the gyro sight kinda feels pretty useless especially as it travels quite alot when turning and you end up putting your s.w.a.g. on each burst.

i dont know much about the doras history and conceptual goals but if it was designed as a strafe run type plane the employment of a gyro sight feels pretty redundant? 

i mean the the mustangs gyro is way better compared to the dora but also has its quirks and limits.

the doras feels just out of place and generally rather "wobbly" . makes a hard time aiming right.