Weight of the A-10C before landing ...

How drop it?

I think what he means is to use your weapons.

Here's some baseline numbers I pulled from the mission editor, and I'll round these numbers a bit to make it easier to remember:

A completely empty A-10C is 25,000 lbs (24,967 to be exact)

Full internal fuel is 11,000 lbs (11,087 to be exact), and convenient for us, the fuel gauge gives us our fuel quantity in lbs.

Chaff and flares didn't add any weight to the aircraft.

A full load of ammunition in the gun is 1,775 lbs.

The pods you can't jettison:

TGP weighs 661 lbs

ALQ-131 is 672 lbs

ALQ-184 is 474 lbs

I'm not going to list out all of the weapons.

Summary:

25,000 lbs - empty A-10C

26,000 lbs - empty A-10C with TGP and ALQ-184

37,000 lbs - A-10C with full fuel, TGP, and ALQ-184

39,000 lbs - A-10C with full fuel, full gun ammo. TGP, and ALQ-184

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

I'd like to know why the OP asked the question?

Of course I can't answer for OP.

But a lot of checklists refer to the weight of the aircraft, including best glide speed in case of dual engine failure and of course approach speeds in various configurations (no flaps, full flaps, single engine, dual flame-out, you name it). Quite often, there are rules of thumb, as in "Use 123 KIAS plus 2 KIAS for every 1000 lbs over 30,000 lbs" or something of that kind.

So it makes sense to keep track of the aircraft weight in order to be prepared for these situations. Even on a perfectly normal, dual engine, full flaps landing approach, it's still good practice to compare the actual airspeed against the rule of thumb calculation as an additional confidence check.

Edited by Yurgon
Weight over 30000 lbs example corrected

Yes, it could be a couple of ways but one was answered by Diesel. I'd like to know why the OP asked the question?

My question is how do you throw away excess fuel if you have to emergency land with excess weight to make a safe landing.

I already know that I can drop the weapons through ejection screen from MFCD.I think that there is no possibility of releasing fuel from 10 C. Maybe you know how to do it?.

I agree but if you keep it on speed. Doesn't it take care of that?

What is on speed if your AoA vane is damaged? :smartass:

Plus, aircraft gross weight is not just for final approach speed, it's also a factor for the landing pattern.

My question is how do you throw away excess fuel if you have to emergency land with excess weight to make a safe landing.

I'm not aware of any fuel dump system (other than full throttle with open speed brakes, or asking Igor for a 23 mm emergency fuel dump installation ;)).

Good news is, the maximum take off weight is the same as the maximum landing weight, so if you happen to be too heavy for landing, you've probably done something seriously wrong already. :P

What is on speed if your AoA vane is damaged? :smartass:

Plus, aircraft gross weight is not just for final approach speed, it's also a factor for the landing pattern.

I'm not aware of any fuel dump system (other than full throttle with open speed brakes, or asking Igor for a 23 mm emergency fuel dump installation ;)).

Good news is, the maximum take off weight is the same as the maximum landing weight, so if you happen to be too heavy for landing, you've probably done something seriously wrong already. :P

I bow to your experience. I've been flying the Hog for a while but I never really focused on it and learned it the way I wanted to. I plan to change that.

Buzz

What is on speed if your AoA vane is damaged?

Or you are seriously good at AAR... :music_whistling:

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

On the civilian side, you know your weights because it directly impacts takeoff and landing performance. For the small guys there are no shortage of rural airstrips that might be easy enough to land at, but a little too short to take back off from at max fuel and/or payload. Military pilots typically takeoff and land at the same airport so it's not a huge consideration, but they do also keep emergency alternates in the planning, and your weight could dictate whether or not an airfield is a viable emergency landing site.

A neat aside, there was a video I saw recently of a 747 (I think) being donated to a museum on a smaller regional airport. The 747 landed with min fuel and very little runway to spare and that was that. The plane could literally never again leave that airport because its runway was far too short for a takeoff.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

On the civilian side, you know your weights because it directly impacts takeoff and landing performance. For the small guys there are no shortage of rural airstrips that might be easy enough to land at, but a little too short to take back off from at max fuel and/or payload. Military pilots typically takeoff and land at the same airport so it's not a huge consideration, but they do also keep emergency alternates in the planning, and your weight could dictate whether or not an airfield is a viable emergency landing site.

A neat aside, there was a video I saw recently of a 747 (I think) being donated to a museum on a smaller regional airport. The 747 landed with min fuel and very little runway to spare and that was that. The plane could literally never again leave that airport because its runway was far too short for a takeoff.

That was a South African Airlines 747 SP, named "Maluti", on her final flight to sit at a museum. From what I know of that, the pilots had surveyed that runway to know where their visual cues were. They flew a few low approaches before committing to the final approach. The runway was just wide enough to fit the main gear.

${1}

For our A-10, I can't find a published max landing weight. It may very well be the same as the MTOW. If that is the case, you can land with all your stores still loaded. You'll be a few pounds lighter from burning some fuel.

If you find yourself in a bad situation and need to get your weight down, hit that fancy red button to the left of the fire pulls.

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

The maximum gross weight for towing, taxiing, takeoff, and

landing is 46,000 pounds.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Or you are seriously good at AAR... :music_whistling:

I was actually considering whether or not to make that very joke.

But AFAICT from the documentation, the max weight limitation applies ground handling, takeoff, landing as well as in flight.

The maximum gross weight for towing, taxiing, takeoff, and

landing is 46,000 pounds.

Good to know. Sounds to me that MTOW = MLW

So even if you intentionally take off overweight (lot of weapons and full fuel), you can quickly get to ~37,000 lbs by jettisoning your weapons.

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

That was a South African Airlines 747 SP, named "Maluti", on her final flight to sit at a museum. From what I know of that, the pilots had surveyed that runway to know where their visual cues were. They flew a few low approaches before committing to the final approach. The runway was just wide enough to fit the main gear.

Haha, that's the one! I bet there was some pucker happening during that touch down and landing roll.

Haha, that's the one! I bet there was some pucker happening during that touch down and landing roll.

I bet. Putting such a large aircraft on small runway is not for the faint of heart. Maluti was the 2nd 747 that landed there. In 2004 SAA brought in a 747-200 named Lebombo (Maluti is a 747-SP). They did brakes only for the landing, though they did open the reversers (idle reverse), but didn't use them because they didn't want to trash the engines with all four overhanging the runway.

Found a write up from the Captain that landed Lebombo on this site, about halfway down the page: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247103

67798166.N7tEdcSe.DSC_9632.jpg

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

That picture's insane, it looks like the left mains are in the grass! I was thinking also, even with min fuel there's no way she was under the weight limit for the runway/taxiway/ramp. I wonder if there was any damage to the airport infrastructure. I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

EDIT: Cool writeup from the Capt. of Lebombo, makes it sound easy. And what does that little airport need with two static 747's?! :smilewink:

Edited by SonofEil