ME - DCS Freeze when Soldier have 2 WP on each side of the strait of Hormuz

jdeyrieux

Hello everyone,

I meet an unusual error with DCS, I created a mission in which a helicopter transports a soldier from Khasab to a place in Iran, on the other side of the Strait of Hormuz.

SOLDIER: WP0 start, WP1 onboarding THEN WP2 disembarkation and then maintain position with tactical progression after.

The issue encountered is: when a land unit has 2 WP separated by a maritime zone without way, then DCS freeze for 10 to 20 seconds at the start of the mission. :cold:

Have you ever seen or read this pb and icing on the cake, a little idea of the possible workaround?

:notworthy:

Cheers!

I believe this is because the pathfinder is trying to generate a path between the two locations, which takes a while for such a long distance.

One workaround would be to do it old-school style: have two separate groups with the one at the destination inactive at the start of the mission. "Pick up" the first group by deactivating it with triggers when the helicopter is on the ground, and "unload" the soldier by activating the other group once the helicopter has landed at the destination. This was the standard method for doing "troop transport" things before they added the embarking tasks (which of course now don't even work for the player...).

Alternatively you could create a lua script to issue a move command to the unit after it arrives, so the pathfinder doesn't have to try to work over a long distance. I think transported units will get out whereever the transport takes them.

I guess if you're really lucky and the scenario doesn't require the soldier to move after being dropped off, you could just not have that additional waypoint.

Or possibly look at using CTLD? Not sure if it supports AI aircraft doing the transport, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

I can only suggest CTLD then controlling them by hand or script on the other side. DCS clearly is trying to "path the impossible". All routing calcs are expensive, but this one perhaps more intricate than the usual and it's perfectly expected when you know how DCS does things. Seems like a limitation of the game you will have to find a different way to resolve, like just spawning them directly from menu when you arrive.

To be honest, once you know they got deleted and aren't really in the chopper, spawning them at the other side is no different to what you are getting from DCS anyway.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Clearly DCS can't find a path to the next waypoint...I didn't know this feature.

1) embarking and none WP after that, just disembarking when the Helo have reach the drop zone.

2) Use a second Troop of GI waiting for to be activated by trigger at the disembarking point, ok

3) Use CTLD to manage troops, this way was adviced by my team (3rd Wing) and Mission makers and you too. ok

thanks all ! :thumbup:

ps: perhaps something to add to the roadmap ...