Some JDAM issues and questions

Notso

Hi all, I've been trying to learn JDAM in the Hornet over the last couple of days with Mixed success. I've read all of Chuck's guide and Wag's tutorials on the JDAM and there's a few things still confounding me.

Questions in no particular order

1. When in PP mode, there are not enough decimals when hand entering coordinates on the UFC. Deg-Min-Secs only. NO decimal places that it seems to accept. So several of the PP shots missed by a fair amount even though I was using the HSI data block for that steerpoint using the Precise coords and converting them to min/sec. Is there something I'm missing.

2. In TOO mode - I was trying to play around with sending both the coords directly from WPDESG button only and then using the TGP. Doing both, I was maybe 50/50. And the steerpoints were put on the TGT very precisely in ME so I got the most accurate coords. Sometimes the JDAM would shack it and other times it missed by a lot - like not even in WFOV of the pod - using both techniques. I was dropping from about 17K AGL, .8M in Manual and well within the Min/Max Range circle on the HSI. Any ideas what would cause these huge misses?

3. IN TOO mode, as soon as the weapon was pickled, the TGP would slew off the TGT to some random place. I finally figured out if I cycled the JDAM mode on the stores page from TOO to PP and back to TOO after release, the pod would slew back to the TGT. What am I doing wrong here?

4. Is it required to input Angle, heading, speed into the bomb each time for each release or will it default to something if you don't enter any values?

5. Ref #4 above... How sensitive is the bomb attack heading vs the fighter heading? Can I have it set to 90 deg off my final run in heading or will it run out of energy?

I'm sure I have lots more Q's but this will get me started. I feel like I'm missing some steps somewhere. TIA.

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

1. For DDMMSS.ss you type DDMM, press enter and then SS.ss

2-3. The FLIR pointing is pretty WIP right now. Just ensure you are aware of where your TGT is, because TOO will take whichever the current TGT is, not just the one at the time of setting up the JDAM.

4. The terminal stuff doesnt work yet afaik. If you leave it blank then it should just fly direct for the given launch position. Eventually entering this info will change the DLZ given on the HSI.

5. I dont know numbers, but once we are able to enter terminal stuff then the HSI will display a DLZ that you must be in to drop the JDAM for a given set of terminal parameters.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

1. For DDMMSS.ss you type DDMM, press enter and then SS.ss

2-3. The FLIR pointing is pretty WIP right now. Just ensure you are aware of where your TGT is, because TOO will take whichever the current TGT is, not just the one at the time of setting up the JDAM.

4. The terminal stuff doesnt work yet afaik. If you leave it blank then it should just fly direct for the given launch position. Eventually entering this info will change the DLZ given on the HSI.

5. I dont know numbers, but once we are able to enter terminal stuff then the HSI will display a DLZ that you must be in to drop the JDAM for a given set of terminal parameters.

THANKS! That's very helpful. I didn't know about the 2nd entry step on #1 to get SS.ss.

I entered some off-axis terminal stuff just to see what it would do. Like 90 deg off run-in attack heading. I wonder if that is what caused the wide misses.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

That may well have caused the issues. It's possible the terminal guidance does work but it doesn't display the DLZ so you are outside of launch parameters when you release.

Edit: quick note, I was wrong about DDMMSS.ss coordinates. They should be entered DDMMSS press enter and then type ss

Edited by Swiftwin9s

That may well have caused the issues. It's possible the terminal guidance does work but it doesn't display the DLZ so you are outside of launch parameters when you release.

Edit: quick note, I was wrong about DDMMSS.ss coordinates. They should be entered DDMMSS press enter and then type ss

Sweet, thanks.

HAs anyone seen #3 happen? Any thoughts.

3. IN TOO mode, as soon as the weapon was pickled, the TGP would slew off the TGT to some random place. I finally figured out if I cycled the JDAM mode on the stores page from TOO to PP and back to TOO after release, the pod would slew back to the TGT. What am I doing wrong here?

The pod slews off well away from the current target area and cycling from TOO to PP and back again seems to be the only way to get the pod back on target. Am I doing something wrong in the JDAM setup?

Before engaging, Step through all you stations and change them to TOO mode and you won’t have tgp slew off tgt.

Thanks. That makes sense. I went and ran some PP and TOO practice runs and finally all worked well. I also figured out how to do multiple releases on a single pass in both modes. Whoo hoo!!

One last question: I went back today rewatched @wags video on JDAM and he mentioned you can program PP mode in both “editor” as well as in-flight. I looked all over the ME and couldn’t find any way to set up the PP mode JDAMs. Where is this in the editor? Or did I misunderstand him or was it a misspeak on his part?

One last question: I went back today rewatched @wags video on JDAM and he mentioned you can program PP mode in both “editor” as well as in-flight. I looked all over the ME and couldn’t find any way to set up the PP mode JDAMs. Where is this in the editor? Or did I misunderstand him or was it a misspeak on his part?

We should eventually be able to use ME to pre plan targets. Although one year on from JDAM release and it’s not even been mentioned again.

Wags was talking about a feature ‘Later in EA’.......seemingly much later....

We should eventually be able to use ME to pre plan targets. Although one year on from JDAM release and it’s not even been mentioned again.

Wags was talking about a feature ‘Later in EA’.......seemingly much later....

Ok cool. That makes more sense. I thought I was going crazy not being able to find it in the ME.

Thanks again for the tip on the DDMMSS [ENTER] and then ss [ENTER]. That worked like a champ. That makes more sense now why WAGS in his tutorial video was saying "Enter enter" because he was skipping the step of entering the decimal seconds.

On the DLZ, I'm going to go back and experiment to see if the "D" in DLZ works with different terminal inputs. From a couple of quick drops yesterday - there must be some default terminal settings if you don't enter any numbers. Presumably, it uses the release heading as the default heading. Not sure what it uses for angle and velocity though. For angle, probably something like 45 deg.

However the DLZ circle on the HSI did appear to shrink and grow based on aspect angle of the jet in relation to the TGT, which is what you would expect to happen. I noticed when I was beaming/arcing the TGT outside of the DLZ circle and then turned in nose on, it would grow in size. I'm going to run some experiments with "IN RANGE" ranges at different aspects to the TGT to see if the DLZ is responding correctly as well as some runs with different terminal parameters. IRL, for instance if you put in say a 90 deg impact angle or a 90 deg off axis heading from your release heading or a higher velocity - the DLZ should shrink accordingly.

• 1 month later...

How do you manage target data in PP mode? Do you have to WPDSGN before a TDC depress to assign a coordinate to a bomb? Are there a PP1 and PP2 in the mission tab for saving two target slots to each two-ganger bomb pylon?

Edited by Thalvid

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

1. For DDMMSS.ss you type DDMM, press enter and then SS.ss.

I know this was already corrected per JDAMs, but since it was brought up i felt it was important to add that this method is how a precise waypoint is added via the HSI. Incase OP finds that useful.

I know this was already corrected per JDAMs, but since it was brought up i felt it was important to add that this method is how a precise waypoint is added via the HSI. Incase OP finds that useful.

Indeed there are two ways to enter precise waypoints:

First is Decimal seconds (DDMMSS.ss) as per JDAM, DDMMSS enter .ss [This one I got wrong in my first post]

Second is Decimal Minutes (DDMM.mmmm), DDMM enter .mmmm

Was a nightmare before I learned to change the HSI to decimal and precise waypoints. It’s still a little quirky though. I still have trouble programming 4 bombs. Usually have two bombs hit the same target. Once in a while I get it right. Wouldn’t be very fun if it was easy.

i5-10600KF, 16Gb DDR4, GTX1660 Super, HP Reverb G2, TM Cougar, TM Warthog

It helps follow a consistent work method.

For me, TOO1, tpod slew to target, look at TOO1, designate, confirm coord input, look at tpod to verify target, TOO2, Slew to new target, look at TOO2, designate target, verify coord input, look at tpod, verify target, Step, repeat.

If you are only loading and dropping 3 jdams, it helps to confirm before you start which pylon as 2 and which has 1. Its not fun to program two TOOs on the station with only 1 JDAM by mistake.

This allows me to ensure I am not doubling up on targets and that i am witnessing the coordinates update as i designate the target. If you are looking at the tpod when you designate you, you may miss that the coordinate didnt register and then end up with the same coords on multiple programs.