stereo_mode_use_shared_parser helps a lot with balancing CPU/GPU usage

On 9/1/2021 at 10:00 PM, BIGNEWY said:

I have just asked the team again, it is still not where it needs to be for open use. I can not give any ETA on this feature at the moment sorry. 

Hi, is there any progress on that matter ?

Thanks

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

@jojo

I think this has had some work recently as basically all of last year I used to run it and had heat blur and flood lights in one eye also occasional large glitches. The glitches slowly disappeared and then this year the one eye rendering problem seemed to get fixed. However I also have now removed it from my config as I think DCS is running nicely in VR these days. It might be incorporated properly but something changed and I didn't want to mess it up with this "setting". I agree it would be great to get a bit of info as they clearly have been working on the way VR works. 

Edited by Hoirtel

Just did a quick test and for me at least, the Hornet flood and chart lights still only render in the right eye with this enabled.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

1 minute ago, zildac said:

Just did a quick test and for me at least, the Hornet flood and chart lights still only render in the right eye with this enabled.

Really? Hmm. I literally tried it a few times. Unless it wasn't activating for some reason. I used the one eye render "glitch" to check if it was enabled as I did occasionally test it on and off  Do you think there is still a performance gain.

I didn't really measure performance tbh. Just started a night carrier mission in the hornet and toggled the flood and chart lights on, they only rendered in the right eye. Using the latest OB.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

37 minutes ago, zildac said:

I didn't really measure performance tbh. Just started a night carrier mission in the hornet and toggled the flood and chart lights on, they only rendered in the right eye. Using the latest OB.

I'll have to try again. I did only last try it with the 2.7.11 patch but I doubt things would have changed and changed back again. My testing was pretty subjective using a track file but I was previously able to see smooth running on and off with this. Do you normally run with it enabled?

2 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

I'll have to try again. I did only last try it with the 2.7.11 patch but I doubt things would have changed and changed back again. My testing was pretty subjective using a track file but I was previously able to see smooth running on and off with this. Do you normally run with it enabled?

I did use it a year or so ago briefly, but wasn't happy with the single eye rendering.

• 10 months later...
On 9/1/2021 at 8:00 PM, BIGNEWY said:

I have just asked the team again, it is still not where it needs to be for open use. I can not give any ETA on this feature at the moment sorry. 

Hi Bignewy,

What is the latest status of this with the new MT build? I tired this and it does not seem to have any bugs happening when it is enabled. But since in game detailed stats are not working I cannot clearly say if it is working or not. Is it implemented and always on now? Or is it completely removed and that setting in graphics.lua does not do anything?

When in game stats were running enabling shared parser dramatically reduced the object and triangle counts in the scene. Now I cannot read anything. 

Thanks.

Edited by Rapierarch

22 minutes ago, Rapierarch said:

Hi Bignewy,

What is the latest status of this with the new MT build? I tired this and it does not seem to have any bugs happening when it is enabled. But since in game detailed stats are not working I cannot clearly say if it is working or not. Is it implemented and always on now? Or is it completely removed and that setting in graphics.lua does not do anything?

When in game stats were running enabling shared parser dramatically reduced the object and triangle counts in the scene. Now I cannot read anything. 

Thanks.

I'm assuming the lighting rendering anomalies are not present because of the lighting anomalies already reported in the MT build?

• BIGNEWY changed the title to stereo_mode_use_shared_parser helps a lot with balancing CPU/GPU usage

I think it's not working, since I was able to see some scenes disappear at the very edge of my Pimax headset when it was enabled in ST. This effect is not present in MT. I would appreciate it being activated in MT since it saved some frametime.

4 hours ago, B4ron said:

I think it's not working, since I was able to see some scenes disappear at the very edge of my Pimax headset when it was enabled in ST. This effect is not present in MT. I would appreciate it being activated in MT since it saved some frametime.

As I recall, it caused some lighting effects and rendered objects to only be visible in one eye, even way before MT. Are you saying you didn't experience this issue in ST?

2 hours ago, zildac said:

As I recall, it caused some lighting effects and rendered objects to only be visible in one eye, even way before MT. Are you saying you didn't experience this issue in ST?

The same effect I am seeing in MT now, without enabling the setting. I was debating if I want to try with it on now, since the issues with lighting are already there... at this point it will be a net benefit. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zildac said:

No, I never realised those effects.

On 4/2/2023 at 5:20 AM, B4ron said:

No, I never realised those effects.

For me it was flying at night, using the interior lighting (F-16/A-10IIC) I could see the lighting through my left, but not right eye.

Also, daytime flying: Random distant clouds were only visible through one eye, this was before the new cloud model. As well as con-trails on distant aircraft against a clear blue sky.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

51 minutes ago, zildac said:

Wonder if it's worth another shot at?

It's been on for me for 2 sessions now. I don't see any benefits or artifacts. 

I kept it on for a while after initial MT release and there were no artifacts there too. 

But again since game stats are not working I cannot tell it's working or not. There is something very wrong with one thread maxed all the way 100% even on the game menu. 

It bloody looks like running a game without fps restrictions on the cpu side. I'm pretty sure that's reason for micro stutters but again that one is not affected by any setting hitting cpu. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zildac said:

Wonder if it's worth another shot at?

I just checked... I no longer see the lighting or cloud anomalies as before.

Though, I can't say I notice a benefit either.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

17 hours ago, Sr. said:

I just checked... I no longer see the lighting or cloud anomalies as before.

Though, I can't say I notice a benefit either.

Thanks for checking, oh well 👍