Fresh Install - F16 - Keyboard Commands Stop Working

CalinDee

Hey Guys,

I have just performed a completely fresh install of Windows, with that I decided that for the first time in many years I would actually perform a fresh & clean install of DCS.

174GB later, its installed and for the most part appears to be behaving itself.

The one exception to this is the F16.

For no reason I can work out, after loading into a mission (tried training, quick missions, custom mission - all SP) it appears to work fine but not very long at all into it (just after start up, with quick alignment, as an approximation) I lose the ability to interact with DCS via keyboard. No aircraft keyboard commands work, escape menu doesnt work - ALT-F4 doesnt attempt to close it down. Its as if its lots focus, however, the joystick axis are still fine - and random hotas controls still work - air brake for example, while others such as landing gear or radio controls are non-functional - so it hasnt actually lost focus. I can ALT-ENTER, or ALT-TAB until Im blue in the face and it doesnt regain focus. I have to quit the program from outside of it and start it back up again.

The same missions I can jump into an F-18, M2000, AV8B - all fine. I then switch to the F-16 and its all over in a couple of minutes.

I have performed a DCS Repair. Ive uninstalled the F-16 module and reinstalled it. No change.

Any ideas?

:(

Just did a test, started it - left it idling on the taxi way for 10 mins - came back all keyboard functions work. Rolled forward - lost keyboard authority. Madness!

[edit]

And it gets more messed up. If I bring the aircraft back to less than ~50 kts I regain full keyboard control (both aircraft controls, menu access, external views etc. Everything comes back!)

Colour me confused!!!

NVM. Tracked it down to a misbehaving pinky switch (used as modifier key). Different keybinds on the F-16 were the point of difference (keybinds for wheel brakes). Found it after editing controls on the F-86.. :thumbup:

Edited by CalinDee
Resolved Issue

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem in that the ESC menu does not work in the F-16. This seems Not to be related to any button sticking - I previously thought it was a sticky pinky switch acting as a modifier. However, I can (at the moment at least) without fail make the ESC menu come back again by jumping to another aircraft type. The ESC menu then works again.

To test this I used the F-16 free flight mission using the A10As present to jump to.

I use the paddle switch as a modifier on myTM WH stick on many aircraft - it is not sticking - and it works on all but the f16. It seems intermittant though. This morning it worked OK as I was modifiying stick & throttle assignments. I have not changed any key assignments - I rarely if ever do that for any aircraft. ESC is definitely not one that is reassigned.

• 1 month later...

Bump: Problem still exists as of today.

EDIT: Belay that. I discovered that the Escape Menu command keystroke was missing! Go figure. It's not something I even thought was configurable. This does not explain why it worked for a while then, in the same session, stopped working.

Edited by mkiii