Cross wing landings

Sharpe_95

Hi guys,

Contrary to what the following post is going to suggest - I dont suck (to badly).

I have been trying to land the F16 with a 10knt cross wind (less than half the aircrafts limit) and I just cant do it - the aircraft is all over the place.

Now I would add (as some limited proof that I am not a complete moron) that I have been flying DCS and other sims for well over a decade and I have never had a problem with cross wind landings (including with much stronger cross winds than a mere 10knts), including in DCS in the FA18, A10, F15 and so on.

But no matter what I do the aircraft becomes atrociously unstable not long after 2 wheel touch down. I have tried everything - crabbing with some rudder input on touch down (as per how its supposed to be done), with drift correct on and off for different approach angles, applying different combinations and pressures of toe braking, rudder input and roll to counter the cross wind and (more appropriately) the aircraft tendency to weave and buck on all 3 wheels (rarely more than 1 at a time!) and while i have managed the odd landing, its just plain not safe or sensible to do so.

Is anyone else finding this issue and/or is it just an issue as things stand in the current F16 early access that will be tuned and fixed as the module improves?

-S

Edited by Sharpe_95

Yeah I had the very same problem as you to begin with. You have to get used to maintaining your roll input after touchdown or it all goes pear shaped. If you consider the fact that it's easy enough to roll the Viper when you taxi a bit too fast it's not so surprising that it has the same issue in crosswinds.

The crosswind aspect of landings are still a massive wip.

Nothing about the crosswind landing procedure is discernable in game. Neither are the pilot narratives about crosswind landings.

You're supposed to land crabbed and aerobrake until 100kts or until roll control becomes an issue. The main issues warned about in the manual are weird yaw movement as the ARI (aileron-rudder interface) cuts out.

As implemented now, there is no roll control during landing.

I think (total guess) the reason is that the ARI cuts out when the MLG wheels spool up on touchdown and ED isn't sure how to model such a thing; or it might be time consuming and/or lower on their list of priorities for the programmers that do that kind of thing.

The crosswind aspect of landings are still a massive wip.

Nothing about the crosswind landing procedure is discernable in game. Neither are the pilot narratives about crosswind landings.

You're supposed to land crabbed and aerobrake until 100kts or until roll control becomes an issue. The main issues warned about in the manual are weird yaw movement as the ARI (aileron-rudder interface) cuts out.

As implemented now, there is no roll control during landing.

I think (total guess) the reason is that the ARI cuts out when the MLG wheels spool up on touchdown and ED isn't sure how to model such a thing; or it might be time consuming and/or lower on their list of priorities for the programmers that do that kind of thing.

The biggest issue is the excessive lateral tyre grip, as shown in my thread that’s linked above. If you land crabbed then tyres with the default lateral grip settings will not slide across the surface which Will result in massive roll forces. If you reduce the lateral tyre grip to something sensible like 0.4 then it all behaves as it should. Same issue is present with the F-15 as well. That’s also not landable at its crosswind limit for the same reason. Unfortunately 2.5.6 stopped my mod from working.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Tried decrabbing just before touchdown?

That is, kicking rudder in the direction the crosswind is blowing (to) and applying aileron I the opposite direction, into the wind. Maybe you're not supposed to in the 16, but what the heck.

Skickat från min H8324 via Tapatalk

Tried decrabbing just before touchdown?

That is, kicking rudder in the direction the crosswind is blowing (to) and applying aileron I the opposite direction, into the wind. Maybe you're not supposed to in the 16, but what the heck.

If FLCS is fully accurately implemented, in some conditions, a/c could roll upside down in case of bounce. This is why it is "not recommended". If not implemented, no biggie in DCS, de-crabing is indeed an option.

my first try at 25kts cross wind was mostly successful with left side getting a little low. fully loaded and nothing exploded so i felt successful. second try was a mess. ejection into the concrete.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain