DCS World roadmap update

Kate Perederko

• ED Team

Dear Community, dear Friends,

We hope you are well and that you and your families are safe and not too distressed in these tough times. We also hope you enjoyed last month’s “Stay at Home” event. It was a new and refreshing adventure we trust was well received by the community as we registered a very large number of users who took advantage of the free to fly opportunities, despite the rather short 2-day time limits for each module.

In the light of the ongoing difficulties we are all facing, we have decided to go the extra mile and will be announcing a similar but enhanced event in the very near future. We really hope it will meet with your approval and enthusiasm.

Thank you again for all your comments I received following my previous post on Reddit/Hoggit.

Your remarks were extremely helpful, insightful and encouraging too.

Today I would like to share some information pertaining to the DCS: Supercarrier early access release date, the F/A-18C Hornet and F-16C Viper roadmaps and our updated pipeline.

DCS: Supercarrier

We have been working hard towards the announced release date of April 15th. Sadly, we were unable to work through all the issues in order to ensure a satisfactory Early Access release.

The main “no-go” for me and I am sure for you too, is Multiplayer behavior which still suffers from certain non-game breaker bugs which were confirmed on Saturday, April 11th. Today we have a new plan and will be working overtime to bring you this long-awaited product. I actively follow the threads, in particular “April 15th 2020” and I understand how disappointed you are, but I am confident you will agree that Multiplayer needs a bit more love.

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet

Since my previous post we delivered 4 FLIR pointing modes which were a substantial task to develop. We have prepared a bug fix update for this week and we are working to deliver the following features by the end of April:

• Completion of the Litening Targeting Pod
  • Dynamic launch zones and AUTO LOFT mode for JDAM
  • AG radar: Real Beam Ground Map (MAP)
  • SLAM air-to-surface missile

During the spring and summer, we plan to work on a range of Flight Model enhancements that include Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS), autopilot modes, and about 30 related features and issues.

DCS: F-16C Viper

For the last two months, we have mainly focused on bug fixing and small improvements. A new developer joined us recently and is working hard on the AGM-65D Maverick air-to-surface missile, which we hope he will be delivering by the end of April.

We will be increasing our efforts on the navigation system starting in May. Improvements will include the update of the steerpoint system permitting in-game mission planning and cursor zero (CZ) will also be added.

Our general roadmap hasn’t changed substantially since February 20th:

• Ka-50 cockpit update was delivered.
  • Fw 190 A-8 Anton was released out of Early Access.
  • New Damage Model is progressing well and will be presented to you in the near future.
  • Enhanced Aircraft AI was added to active phase of development together with FLIR.
  • A-10C II moved to active phase of development.
  • Lighting and terrain improvements were pushed back a bit to.
  • Enhanced Asset Pack, Supercarrier and helicopter Multi-crew now have deadlines.
  • Hornet received its final list of features to be delivered this year, but this is a topic of a future update.

Current projects in active development phase:

DCS Core:

• [ Near Term ] 2.5.6 preparation for the stable release (FPS improvement)
  • [ Near Term ] Damage Modeling for WWII Aircraft
  • [ Long Term ] Weapon improvement (missile dynamics, new AI units), final AIM-120B dynamics to be released very soon AIM-120C to follow
  • [ Mid to Long Term ] Voice Chat
  • [ Long Term ] Dynamic Campaign
  • [ Long Term ] Enhanced Aircraft Artificial Intelligence

DCS Graphic Engine:

• [ Near Term ] Special effects update
  • [ Long Term ] Multi-threading
  • [ Long Term ] Vulkan API integration
  • [ Long Term ] New FLIR engine

Modules:

• [ April 2020 ] WWII Asset Pack update
  • [ April-May 2020 ] Supercarrier EA
  • [ May 2020 ] Huey Multi-crew
  • [ Q2 2020 ] P-47D Thunderbolt EA
  • [ Q2-3 2020 ] The Channel EA
  • [ Mid Term ] Mariana Islands
  • [ Dec 2020 ] F/A-18C Hornet out of EA
  • [ Mid to Long Term ] F-16C Viper
  • [ Mid Term ] Modern Air Combat
  • [ Mid Term ] A-10C Warthog II
  • [ Mid Term ] Mi-24P Hind

Near Term - we have the final list of tasks to be done before we share it in DCS World and expect delivery in less than 6 months.

Mid Term - we have a firm list of tasks and we trust that it might be delivered in less than 9 months.

Long Term - we have an initial list of tasks but still a lot to add and do not have exact expectations. Some Long term tasks can be delivered partially in iterations, some need to be fully completed.

Projects that are in the passive development phase (waiting for a 3D model delivery, developers allocation, reference gathering stage or one of the current active project to be finished first):

DCS Core:

• Damage Modeling for modern aircraft
  • Airfield ATC

DCS Graphic Engine:

• Terrain lighting
  • Terrain improvement
  • Clouds. This task is planned to be started again in May 2020.
  • Weather update
  • Full Air-to-Ground Radar

Modules:

• Yak-52 Release
  • Ka-50 Black Shark 3
  • Mosquito FB MK.VI

ED has 4 items in Early Access:

1. F-16C Viper
  2. F/A-18C Hornet
  3. Yak-52
  4. WWII Asset Pack

We plan to deliver all products out of Early Access this year however, the F-16C Viper is likely to be in Q1 2021, but we’ll keep you updated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to all your comments.

Thank you all for your passion and support.

Yours truly,

Kate Perederko

Chief Operating Officer

Eagle Dynamics

• Like 1

DCS World roadmap update

Thanks for sharing the informations with us.

Hoping the delay would not last too much.

Disappointed of course but also if I don’t do multiplayer (90% single player guy 10% multi) I understand also if I would have preferred a single player only release now. But we’ll wait as usual.

Impressed by the first part of ag radar of the hornet coming near term and the litening finished by april.

Edited by VirusAM

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

well since 2.5.6 i cant play anymore frames in vr are just tht bad

Me too....

But if that a game breaker for you you should be using the release version which it is not perfect but doesn’t have these issues.

I am fine having both versions installed and use one or the other depending on the task

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Thank you Kate. I know it is very difficult to release such news. (especially if I look at the community here - not all of course)

I just wonder about the overtime and you plan today. Do you work overtime to deliver it this week? That would be astonishing, but not necessary. We could wait some days longer for sure.

But if you work overtime until the SuperCarrier is released somewhere end of May, I would say it is better to add more delay and let the developers be fully refreshed and not working overtime for such a long time.

Edited by sebihepp

Ryzen 2700X, 32GByte RAM, GeForce 1080Ti, TrackIR

well since 2.5.6 i cant play anymore frames in vr are just tht bad

I'd recommend going back to Stable (2.5.5) if FPS are an issue for you. They've clearly stated that they're working on performance in the Open Beta. For now, you'll either have to be patient, or roll back to Stable.

Thanks a lot Kate! This is exactly the kind of transparency I like to see!

I don't have any need for hard release dates as I know how difficult it can be to predict these as a developer. Getting (a quarterly) info on what is actively being worked on and in what time frame (near, mid, long term) we can expect certain features is all I want to know. :thumbup:

Having to wait a bit longer for the supercarrier to get some more fixes is absolutly fine. It's a game afterall and life doesn't depend on it. Stay safe and healthy everyone!

PS: Having the devs working overhours because some people on the forums here can't get a grip of themselves is pretty sad :(

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team
Thanks for sharing the informations with us.

Hoping the delay would not last too much.

Disappointed of course but also if I don’t do multiplayer (90% single player guy 10% multi) I understand also if I would have preferred a single player only release now. But we’ll wait as usual.

Impressed by the first part of ag radar of the hornet coming near term and the litening finished by april.

Thank you for the comments. The multiplayer community grows and we would like to cover all cases and deliver stable product for everyone.

We do not want to restrict the usage of the SC in multiplayer.

Hornet will be released this year.

We are working hard on improving frames, we hope the next OB will give some relief as well.

Is there an ETA for the next OB?

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I for one am glad ED for once decided to hold back something that is unplayable, than release it anyway - and go through weeks of everyone getting frustrated. We seen this too many times the last 12 months and i'd rather wait another 3 months and have it live up to the BETA and not putting out stuff that is barely in alpha status.

It wasn't much of a suprise seen how the basic carrier has so many issues. Thx

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

Kate,

Appreciate the update.

Bitterly disappointed with the ATC update schedule though. This has supposedly been in development for literally years and is core to a proper flight sim for me personally.

Anyway, thanks again and stay safe!

Kind Regards,

Gary

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

Great update. My thanks.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Kate,

Appreciate the update.

Bitterly disappointed with the ATC update schedule though. This has supposedly been in development for literally years and is core to a proper flight sim for me personally.

Anyway, thanks again and stay safe!

Kind Regards,

Gary

AFAIK it has the new carrier ATC as a prerequisite, meaning that as soon as the new carrier ATC works fine field ATC can follow.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks for keeping us informed about the state of development of DCS! I have my hands full with the Tomcat so I can wait a bit more for Supercarrier :-)

Ryzen 3600X - RTX 2080 - 32 GB Ram - DCS on SSD.

DCS Modules : M2K-C, F18-C, FW-190D, Huey, Gazelle, Black Shark, Mig-15, all maps.