DCS World roadmap update

Kate Perederko

If the community set unrealistic dates then complained about either a) the date being missed, or b) a buggy mess being released, then you would have a point.

However it's ED who sets the dates. If they don't manage to release a largely functional product on the date advertised, then it's not unreasonable to expect people to criticise.

I see your point, and it would be completely valid for, say, chopping a pile of wood. You look at the size of the pile, and you can estimate how much time you'll need to chop it. Software development - based on my limited experience - is not like this. You don't see the exact size of the pile. You think you're almost there, then out of nowhere, 10 more logs appear. Unforseen bugs can come up and make you run in circles for much longer than you'd like. That's why it's hard to give estimates. The only moral of the story is that they should be more careful, which they already are, the new estimate being "April-May 2020" rather than a date.

• ED Team
I'm ok with the delay. I'm an MP guy so obviously its good lol. I have few questions and wishes for you Kate :

1. Are we gonna get ATFLIR or not? (no mentioned on your first post)

2. What about Sniper pod for Viper? Can you confirm we're gonna get that ? (or no?)

3. Please review bug threads that got reported tag but not get fixed (some of them reported 2 years ago).

4. When we're gonna get more skins for the Viper. Its certainly not realistic flying Israeli Viper for example but with USAF skin.

5. Please put more attentions on Russian fighter. For example Su-27 has natively fighter to fighter DL working in SP but not in MP. Please implement that DL capability in MP also.

Thank you

Good luck Kate.

I'll be straight to the points:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. We'll do

4. In progress right now. Evaluating for release.

5. We'll try to focus as well but later on. We want to do it.

• ED Team
I don't have a problem with SC being delayed.

I am not sure though why did the team wait for the April 15th, the planned release date, to announce the delay? Epecially, as noted in the OP, when the team was aware of the "no go" issues on April 11th?

I believe the delay should have been announced at least few days (or at least a day) earlier, not at the very day we were expecting the module to be released in early access.

The way you handled the timing of the announcement, you sure, unneccessarily, if I may add, dissapointed a lot of people (though I know this was certainly not your intention).

My apologies for my time management.

I was in the loop of testing on Saturday.

Well, I need to spend at least some time with family, so it's Sunday.

I wrote the announcement on Monday. Polished, etc.

We had a day-long every week meeting to follow all projects progress. Remember, it's 20+. And I'm a bit exhausted after it.

The first thing I did on Wednsday morning - posted the announcement, translated for me to several languages.

I will try to predict next time and start to write our failure note earlier but actually I really hoped that we'll go through it and deliver.

... We use Jira. I looked through the possibility to have it public. Well, bad luck. They provide Service Desk which is a bit different service, it's more for tech support we have on our website...

Jira appears to have an extensive API (https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/)

I've not used Jira but do API dev and integration (esp .NET Core).

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Kate/ED

Please keep up the great work. We love some of the new transparency! You have our support and are still having blasts with what IS released.

Use the naysayers as motivation, but don't let it get under your skin!

Keep chewing bubblegum and kicking butt.

As an SP-guy, I am naturally disappointed.

But I think the open communication (even if it would have been better sooner) of ED is just great.

That you, dear Kate, take the time to give a lot of answers and apologize at the end shows true greatness. Please keep it up! Mistakes will always happen and not everything will go as planned. But in the end, we still have one of the most beautiful simulations, which is just a lot of fun.

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

As many replies said, there are many Solo-play-focus players.

If the main issues of Supercarrier being related to multiplayer is ture, release a single player version at first(within this week) should be a reasonable option. Check this:https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4288099&postcount=1495

I dont understand why super carrier was even thought of being released knowing full well that Multi player is awful, There was no way you could release it. I was not even surprised for the delay to be honest. Like i say core needs work and less shiney toys to play with.

This argument falls apart when there is another combat flight sim with MUCH better VR performance. Also, MSFS didn't have VR at the outset because the developers seemed to have no clue how important it is to simmers. They looked at VR adoption rates, and extrapolated, which was wrong! The evidence for this is when they were first asked about it, one of the devs laughed and said "maybe later". Then after the chorus of "No VR, no buy" it suddenly became a priority. So it wasn't for technical reasons, but because they had underestimated the demand.

Making it a priority, does not magically solve the performance requirements. We will see how PC hardware and development frameworks develop and what the performance with a render distance of a couple hundred miles look like with more demanding hi-resolution VR-headsets and how much, Software algorithms and wizardry can optimize.

I am happy ED is already working on things like Vulcan and multi-threading.

They do work on optimizing for current VR, in parallel, I just am sure the gap between 2D and 3D performance isn't closing as fast as some would like to see...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hey, why don't you just invite me into the closed beta with the super carrier module on it, I won't complain if there are any bugs, I promise

Sorry, I'm retarded but I'm also eagerly awaiting the module and honestly it breaks me because as other guys already said on this thread, we never play MP (me and those other guys) and this is the second time the release is postponed.

Sorry for this stupid comment, good luck and stay healthy

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

I was in the loop of testing on Saturday.

Well, I need to spend at least some time with family, so it's Sunday.

I wrote the announcement on Monday. Polished, etc.

We had a day-long every week meeting to follow all projects progress. Remember, it's 20+. And I'm a bit exhausted after it.

The first thing I did on Wednsday morning - posted the announcement, translated for me to several languages.

I will try to predict next time and start to write our failure note earlier but actually I really hoped that we'll go through it and deliver.

Kate. First let me say thank you for all you guys do, and for what you are planning to do. I said months ago that I was looking forward to DCS in 2020 and I still am. However, why was this release so much different from the others we have had recently? For the 16 we had weeks of informative vids from Wags on how the plane works and how to operate it. We a lot of information given to us that pushed towards that release. Given circumstances around the world right now delay is rather normal, but this whole "Release on the 15th" didn't feel right. Even NineLine said so on Hoggit. If you knew there was a chance at delay on Monday, why not put out a simple "It's getting pushed back, I am working on gathering all the information I can getting back to you guys ASAP."? Getting word of the push back on "release" day is very abnormal to say the least.

• ED Team
Hi Kate, can we have some detail about fps improvements? I would like to know if, at least, we will recover the same performance we have in 2.5.5. Or if you have find the root problem of the huge perfomance reduction in OB regarding stable.

Thanks

Tomorrow we will deliver the update with significant changes to performance. However, we cannot predict if it will work for everyone. We will monitor again and see how good it is.

We are already blamed that we deliver OB without testing. Well, we just cannot cover the number of tests the community can have. Internal testing showed that it is a significant update. Tomorrow's Open Beta will show the truth.

will the graphical engine rework allow better spotting with 1080p and above resolutions?

what is the purpose of terrain engine rework? what is the team trying to accomplish with it?

i humbly suggest releasing a little bit more detail about the main/sub projects the team is working on. like goals and wishes. most of the frustation here is because people want to know more.

Thanks for sharing the informations with us.

Hoping the delay would not last too much.

Disappointed of course but also if I don’t do multiplayer (90% single player guy 10% multi) I understand also if I would have preferred a single player only release now. But we’ll wait as usual.

Impressed by the first part of ag radar of the hornet coming near term and the litening finished by april.

Right there with you. I do single player mostly and would have liked to be able to get the Supercarrier for single player only in the interim. But I've waited this long, I suppose I will wait longer.

i7-8086k CPU @4.00GHz

Mem: 32GB

EVGA 1080ti

SSD - 500 GB X 3

HDD - 1 TB

([ Mid Term ] Modern Air Combat. )

Why not just call it FC4 ???

Can't believe it you guy's going to release a package with the same airplanes and charge us again for the airplanes we already own in FC3...

Talking about being greedy!

([ Mid Term ] Modern Air Combat. )

Why not just call it FC4 ???

Can't believe it you guy's going to release a package with the same airplanes and charge us again for the airplanes we already own in FC3...

Talking about being greedy! ????

MAC is a separate product from DCS World. :music_whistling:

Thank you! We took into account already.

:thumbup:

As an SP-guy, I am naturally disappointed.

But I think the open communication (even if it would have been better sooner) of ED is just great.

That you, dear Kate, take the time to give a lot of answers and apologize at the end shows true greatness. Please keep it up! Mistakes will always happen and not everything will go as planned. But in the end, we still have one of the most beautiful simulations, which is just a lot of fun.

My thoughts on this matter exactly, disappointed but S**t happens mistakes are made, learn from them and press on:thumbup:

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.