Hornet throttle, oooh, those curves.....

VIXEN413

Hey all,

I wanted a good replica of oru beloved f/a 18 pair of throttles.

Options are scarce so I had to come again to the old say that "you are only well served by yourself"...

So, I ll build them. And carve them from a block of aluminium that I have lying around....

Doing this is not a big deal if you have a bit of équipement and skills.

I ve been doing mechanics and crafting for a while as a hobby, so... I saw nothing that would not be possible.

I took some plans that I found on the net, together with pictures and even a 3d photography scan that was posted here as well

And, off we go...

Plan is to mount it on my virpil CM2 throttle base and also to add the AB detent...

Quite a program....

Did some plans and a 3d mockup with foam to validate them ans my angles.

Some adjustments still required. For ex, the protective edge in front of the switches flares closer to the TDC unlike on my pic here, it's just because I still had the cardboard template in it...

IMG_20200414_205150.thumb.jpg.76fb2122b260202e15c40ae7015540c9.jpg

IMG_20200414_205102.thumb.jpg.39040946223f156059281c7e3cdd1337.jpg

IMG_20200414_205043.thumb.jpg.43e164da8b25cee50097aaa3e6b16949.jpg

IMG_20200409_212024.thumb.jpg.539132ceb4e5632f57b22a0c542f11a0.jpg

IMG_20200414_205052.thumb.jpg.b4d8f4bb989ece2005b68a44d43d0633.jpg

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

Tools, skills, money, and time... I am missing some or all of those, otherwise I would love to use your approach.

For me, it is easier to scour eBay and Google for real parts, then adapt them to USB controls if an acceptable consumer solution isn't available. Right now, I am seriously looking at the Wingwing Hornet HOTAS... but I don't really want the stick, just the throttle and control panel, and I don't really need any of them. Given that I don't really "need" it and the price is substantial, it may be awhile before I commit. Or, all this overtime I am accumulating working from home instead of commuting might go into a Hornet throttle. Never know.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I see what you mean...

Money and availability is why a real f18 throttle is not possible hence the DIY project..

Winwing, for same reason, it s a whole kit but I just wanted the thrust levers. Plus shipping plus custom taxes...

They said they were looking for distributors in other continent but nothing on that part for the time...

Aah if only thrustmaster did the throttles too....

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

I see what you mean...

Money and availability is why a real f18 throttle is not possible hence the DIY project..

Winwing, for same reason, it s a whole kit but I just wanted the thrust levers. Plus shipping plus custom taxes...

They said they were looking for distributors in other continent but nothing on that part for the time...

Aah if only thrustmaster did the throttles too....

Amen. You'd think Thrustmaster would make an F/A-18 throttle to match the grip.

I'm sure Virpil will make something eventually to match either the F/A-18 or F-16. I'd buy either...or both. After going 1-1 with the A-10C, it's all I want in my other few MAIN aircrafts.

An F/A-18 throttle would cover alot of aircraft.

F-16 throttle is niche to itself but so iconic and perfect.

I am subscribed to this.

I am contemplating a left console and a pair of throttle quadrants project for the F/A-18C this coming winter. I don't have much in the way of metal skills but I am a half decent wood worker. I have been looking for a set of measurements to use to carve out some mahogany to use to make silicon molds for resin casting. At least that's where I am thinking today. Last week I was reading up on aluminum casting :)

Looking forward to watching your progress!

Ooh waaaw,

That's plain awesome

Thanks bro!

There are few iteration in the design too, and some confusion too with the super bug witch has also a slightelly different shaped throttle.

I guess it's part of batch and subc on tractor specific maybe.

Thanks a lot again....

Just got the block today. Need time to hit the belt sander and cuter tools that are not at home.

Not easy with confinement...

IMG_20200416_145542.thumb.jpg.26c280646fba179fec766dcc74424504.jpg

Hei,

Nice job.

I just uploaded now some pictures of my right grip.

Hop it will help you:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162442792@N02/albums/72157713909950723

Have a nice day.

K

you can clearly see there, even looking from above, how the throttles are rotated 18 degrees to the left making it way more comfort for the wrist.

the small cut at the bottom where the cage button is positioned is cut at 23 degrees as I computed, so that bit is actually almost parallel to the pilot leg.

I ws just missing a few quotes here and there and by having your pics, I could confirm my modelling guesses, that is awesome!!

Thanks a lot!!

Glad its helping you.

Not sure if i understud well wath you said about the difference with the superbug throttles.

If i remember right (i don't found this info anymore), this grip come from a A simulator. I can be totaly wrong with that but one of the point make me confiant is the comm switch, there is only 3 pos switch. Don't know if somes early version of superhornet had this type of switch also.

Look also here, is some throttle general pictures from hornet swiss simulator:

http://hornetpits.org/index.php?topic=615.30

I saw multiple design, not only button head style or like you said for comm switch, some are with 2 psn others with 4. In the general shape, they are identical and following blueprints but maybe different manufacturers has done this part of the hornet trough it's life or if done in house by MDD/Boeing, they must have different molds/CAD files to come up to an identical result. It's subtle but sometimes theres a line here or a shape there that differs a bit... maybe the way to access to the internals might be different too. In the end, once installed and for use, it's exactly the same, beside, who cares... except a rivet counter hahaha like me...

Got my OTTO's today.

IMG_20200417_131032.thumb.jpg.7fc113710effebc579e9990cff4eccc2.jpg

IMG_20200417_131233.thumb.jpg.51ad7c04bb939fd1158a74b6d5dc2ccd.jpg

Edited by VIXEN413

Hey Guys,

I m still gathering some gear that I need for this project.

I have the OTTO for the PB, I have 3x 5way switches that will cover my need for the airbrake, comms and countermeasure switches, all they need are proper shaped 3d hats (BTW, if you have info where I can locate those? Debolesti has some but not for hornet)

Now, the big main thing will be the TDC.

I can deal with an ALPS mini stick but I wanted something a bit more on the tough side...

I also have an APEM NV mini stick with push but the issue is that it's switch based and thus, non proportional... for precision and to establish the analog axis, I ll need a potentiometer (hall type or else)

Dunno, I tried moving the TDC with both a mini stick and a 5 way and there's no comparison, a mini stick is king.

K-Lu, a quick question, the real TDC, is it moving or is it a force transducer ministick with push?

Force transducers are a possibility too but mega hard to find, specially with push.

I guess I ll have to stick with the ALPS but if you guys have other options you can think of..( not an OTTO of 700usd, it's not the idea of this project lol)...

APEM has no monistic with push, OTTO is overpriced for this project...

What other options do I have?

BR

Edited by VIXEN413

Sorry i don't understand most of your questions do to the abbreviations What switch caps do you need modeled perhaps i can make some for you and post them on my Shape ways site.

• Like 1

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Hey there,

Thanks for your answer...

There are 3 hats on the side of the right throttle, one elongated that is for comm (communications: comm1 comm2, MIDS À and MIDSB)

A 4 position then.

The top one is counter mesures. 2 psn with center off. We can extend that to a 4 psn as I have 5way switched under the hood.

The airbrake is also with it's own shape. Again, 3 psn with center off.

If you look at the pics here from K-lu, you ll see how they look like. But that's for an earlyer version. I can find some more recent switch arrangement pics if it helps you hehe

Best regards,

Vixen

to help you i need you to one post a picture of the grip with switches you want.

two please stop with abbreviation such as PSN no idea what position?

air brake with its own shape like what?

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Hey Guys,

K-Lu, a quick question, the real TDC, is it moving or is it a force transducer ministick with push?

Not at home at the moment. If i remember right is a force transducer (i'm quite sure, he is not mooving).

I check next time i'm at home and tell you.

K

it is a force transducer you can find the on the eBay now and then Hanssolo thread has a sketch to make it work with an Arduino board

Not at home at the moment. If i remember right is a force transducer (i'm quite sure, he is not mooving).

I check next time i'm at home and tell you.

K

yes nice find! i didn't know that was still on the net. the toggle switch cap is finished and i can put it on my shape ways site not sure if he wants the slide switch caps and bodies modeled for miniature toggles or not.

Edited by Deadman

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for your answers and the great infos!

Mapi, yes, that's what I based myself to take all the measurements.

I still had uncertainties about some angle shapes. And thanks to K-lu photos, from top and bottom, I could cross check some angles and quotes that I was missing. So it will definitely make my life easyer hehehe

If that's the one, it's mega hard to locate and buy...

https://forceswitch.com/products

Deadman, do you, by any chance, still have the link to those transducers and the post you were mentioning?

Quite interested!

Best regards all...

Edited by VIXEN413

Just searched Hansolo thread for Transducer here ya go

I don't have any current links to eBay sales you will just need to keep an eye out.

Models are done for the Throttle switches but you have not let me know what switches you want to use so there is not ant thing else i can do at the moment on that project.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2720213&highlight=Transducer#post2720213

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2722072&highlight=Transducer#post2722072

Hey there,

Off, awesome, thanks for the links!

As for the 3d hats, I ll chime in in time, as I would like to set the project first.

I connected with an ex colleague of mine that is doing a lot of micro electronic working. that's his passion, and I asked him for some help for programming and for the wiring part. also as he knows this things, he can locate parts and see what's required too...

once I get the final picture I ll see what I do with the 3D shaped hats as It will depend on what kind of switch I use in the project...

so first the transducer.

Got a place to start with what u sent me. thanks...

BR all,

Vixen

Hey there,

Yes it might work but price is prohibitive still.

I m checking for this one too:

https://soda.crouzet.com/pn/?i=83459010

Need to get a quote on it. Unlucky so far

I m also contemplating the idea of making a PUresin functional prototype... At least I can then see how I ll manage the space inside the handles....