Newbie questions on latest version of A10c --nVidia, shimmering, joystick, etc.

bofhlusr

I did a search of the forum before creating this post. Most of the issues and forum suggestions about the issues I'm experiencing are very old and did not work for me.

I've had the A10-c for some time but rarely used it due to the steep learning curve. Now that I have time, I'd like to make another attempt.

I'm using Win10 and a nVidia 1070ti card with this game. I've tried using nVidia Inspector (frame locked at 60 fps using a 27" Dell G-sync monitor, never used it in P3D) using the settings for DCS Black Shark and I also tried playing around with the Nividia Control Panel available on Window's main screen.

I'm also using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick.

I'm still getting shimmering on the vertical lines of the instruments in the cockpit as well as in the trees in the far distance. (i've never had this problem using another flight sim Lockheed Martin's P3D v4.x when used with Nvidia Inspector).

My joystick is also extra sensitive even though I'm using a curvature of 30 and a deadzone of 5-10 on the pitch, roll, rudder, and throttle.

Additionally when I exit using the icon on the top of the screen, DCS re-cycles and keeps re-launching itself (I might have screwed it up by installing both the Steam and the direct download from DCS - I've since uninstalled the Steam version - bought it on sale, to use on my laptop). However, it exits fine using the Exit selection on the right side of the screen.

My newbie questions:

1. How do I resolve the issues above (shimmer, extra sensitive joystick, exit re-cycling).

2. Does Ctrl-h for changing the color of the HUD work for you?

3. What is 'active pause' and 'levitation'?

4. Does the A10c have something similar to P3D's 'slew' functionality?

5. In the Mission Editor, how do I make the enemy units go around in circles without stopping?

6. Is there a way to disable the 'Pull-up, Pull-up' warning sound only (without muting the other sounds).

7. How do I run the A10c in windowed mode (with a frame around it)?

8. How do I pre-load a mission?

9. Are there non-functional buttons or switches in the A10-c?

Thank you.

Edited by bofhlusr

Win Pro 10, A-10c (rarely used, but started with Falcon AT!), P3D v4 (100+ add-ons mostly ORBX), i7-8700k, 16 GB 3200 Mhz RAM, Gigabyte Z370M DS3H, Corsair water cooler, EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 650W, PNY GTX 1070ti, Dell 27" G-sync monitor, Logitech 3D Pro, NVMe OS drive, TB's of free space on SSD.

Can't answer all questions, but I'll do my best for the remaining ones. ;)

I'm still getting shimmering on the vertical lines of the instruments in the cockpit as well as in the trees in the far distance.

Tweaking DCS visually can take a bit of time.

You should probably build a test mission so you get comparable results, and then tweak the settings; probably the most important ones are the anti-aliasing settings. Personally, I'd place the test mission in one of the more taxing areas like downtown Dubai or over the Las Vegas strip, and maybe add a whole bunch of AI going about their business, so you know the FPS will hold up during an actual mission.

I have a 1070ti as well and I'm currently quite happy with visuals vs. FPS, but I won't post my settings because we still have different CPUs, RAM, screen setups and so on, so my settings might not work for you, and vice versa.

There are some excellent guides and tutorials on YouTube.

Yes, this can take up a whole afternoon, but it's usually worth it.

My joystick is also extra sensitive even though I'm using a curvature of 30 and a deadzone of 5-10 on the pitch, roll, rudder, and throttle.

30 curve is a lot indeed.

Just to be sure: there's a setting called "Game Flight Mode".

When this is checked, the joystick settings are taken from "A-10C (Game)". When it is not checked, the settings are taken from "A-10C (Real)". You should double check that you're using the proper set of controls.

Other than that, it does take some getting used to the joystick feeling in DCS, but I find the A-10 fairly easy to fly, once a bit of experience has sunk in.

Additionally when I exit using the icon on the top of the screen, DCS re-cycles and keeps re-launching itself

I think that is intended behavior, as it's labed "Log out".

Use the "Exit" button on the right and you're good.

2. Does Ctrl-h for changing the color of the HUD work for you?

I have no keybinding LCTL+h or RCTL+h.

The HUD color can be changed using the clickable button on the AHCP (I'm not aware of any issues with this function).

3. What is 'active pause' and 'levitation'?

Active pause: Pauses/freezes your airplane in place. All systems are fully functional, and the world around you keeps on going about its business. Great training help to set up systems and fiddle with buttons, without having to fly the aircraft at the same time.

No clue about levitation.

5. In the Mission Editor, how do I make the enemy units go around in circles without stopping?

Aircraft have an advanced waypoint option where they can Orbit.

For ground units, I believe you'll just have to set as many waypoints as needed in order get them to circle around something.

Advanced possibilities are available with triggers and scripting.

6. Is there a way to disable the 'Pull-up, Pull-up' warning sound only (without muting the other sounds).

None that I'm aware of. You really want to be able to hear the GCAS warning tones. At least that's what the manufacturer thinks, and I tend to agree. ;)

You might get lucky with one of the circuit breakers, though.

9. Are there non-functional buttons or switches in the A10-c?

Sure. Environmental controls mostly don't do anything. I believe TISL is entirely without function, and the IFF panel is almost purely cosmetic (3rd party tools like SRS and LotATC might make use of it, though).

There are other switches that don't do anything (some of the lighting brightness switches don't have any effect). If there's anything in particular you'd like to know, let us know which one you're interested in.

I started with the A-10C with a single joystick. (Not easy)

The A-10C and many fighters. F/A-18, F-16 etc all use HOTAS. hands on throttle-and-stick.

You will need to use the modifiers in game. Left hand was on the keyboard arrow-keys (Set to slew)

Hold right shift + joy hat = TMS

Hold right Ctrl + joy hat = DMS

Hold right Ctrl + Arrow keys = Coolie hat

Hold right shift + Arrow keys =????

Buttons close by insert, home, page up / down. etc set these up to......?

I don't have the exact replica "warthog" my hotas is setup as close as I could get it. Now it all comes down to practice and muscle memory.

It becomes second nature after some time. You as I did will have to unlearn what you have learned (yoda) lol. Once you get a hotas.

It's still worth learning and understanding what and how the systems all work tho.

Start with going through Chucks A-10C guide and

.The A-10C ones, not (A-10A FC3). Just keep it simple at the start and let it sink in, land, takeoff, autopilot hold etc. Gun runs. Ask away if you have problems, need ideas for setup. This is me showing
for an example and ideas.

You will also need to write out the configuration / change to suit you.

Here is one I found on the forum. To use this YOU will need to add these base buttons as a modifier (

) when held in DCS (Not a switch) 7,8,9,10,11,12

extreme3dpro_DCS_screen.png

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Can't answer all questions, but I'll do my best for the remaining ones. ;)

...You should probably build a test mission so you get comparable results, ...

When this is checked, the joystick settings are taken from "A-10C (Game)". When it is not checked, the settings are taken from "A-10C (Real)". You should double check that you're using the proper set of controls.

Thanks... I created a test mission, improved my joystick settings and I was able to get rid of the shimmers. I'm going to try your other suggestions.

Win Pro 10, A-10c (rarely used, but started with Falcon AT!), P3D v4 (100+ add-ons mostly ORBX), i7-8700k, 16 GB 3200 Mhz RAM, Gigabyte Z370M DS3H, Corsair water cooler, EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 650W, PNY GTX 1070ti, Dell 27" G-sync monitor, Logitech 3D Pro, NVMe OS drive, TB's of free space on SSD.

@David_OC - wow!

@Dagger71 - nice tip.

@randomTOTEN - I'm going to try that too.

So many acronyms. That's why it's a 'study level' aircraft. Reading is not enough. I can't imagine how it could get more complicated.

Makes me wonder why the switches are not automated. I'm not a personal fan of the guy but I keep wondering what if they had asked Steve Jobs to re-design the instrument panel. He could probably have gotten away with using just 10 buttons max: engine, weapons (2), communications, countermeasures, flight and three or more button or switch modifiers.

Maybe just one button and a Siri, Cortana, or Alexa equivalent flying a remote controlled A10. :-)

P.S. Forgot to mention, I've had an unused X52 Pro for some time now. I should try use it but I'm wondering how adding more buttons from the X52 will simplify the A10c experience.

Edited by bofhlusr
Added a P.S.

Makes me wonder why the switches are not automated. I'm not a personal fan of the guy but I keep wondering what if they had asked Steve Jobs to re-design the instrument panel. He could probably have gotten away with using just 10 buttons max: engine, weapons (2), communications, countermeasures, flight and three or more button or switch modifiers.

Maybe just one button and a Siri, Cortana, or Alexa equivalent flying a remote controlled A10. :-)

P.S. Forgot to mention, I've had an unused X52 Pro for some time now. I should try use it but I'm wondering how adding more buttons from the X52 will simplify the A10c experience.

It's actually very good once you get the fundamentals down. It has more controls at your finger tips then any other aircraft I have flown in a sim.

The easiest is the JF-17 for apple ipad.

The A-10C you can quickly go from:

Switch countermeasures program Stop / Go

Switch to gun, air to air

Change weapon to maverick, use maverick MFD screen lock fire.

You can change to any weapon using HOTAS.

Switch to TGP target pod (right MFD? up to you) place this on target.

Slave all sensors to that point. Make target mark point for reference, seen on moving map too.

Drop bombs on that point, or use that point to slew and lock a maverick fire.

It's basically all at your finger tips.

The best thing to understand first is the coolie hat.

Short press coolie hat up HUD as SOI (Sensor of Interest)

Long press coolie hat right (Set right MFCD as SOI)

Short press coolie hat right (Cycle through MFCD screen / tab)

Etc.

Down load chucks guide if you haven't? A-10C guide

See page 136 and on.

Page 139

You can see the coolie hat functions here, number 8

attachment.php?attachmentid=233046&stc=1&d=1587259431

look to the left and see what the china hat does (When that thing? is SOI)

when the TGP is SOI on left or right screen. The china hat forward short press toggles field of view FOV. Then use DMS forward to zoom more. Page 138 (DMS on stick)

You can read and learn the rest. like I said, I have a HOTAS not warthog. So I setup the buttons as close as I can as the real one.

Remember, the guy's have trained for years before flying an A-10C

and what your flying here is the REAL software tool they used to train up from the

A-10A to the full HOTAS A-10C.

attachment.php?attachmentid=170812&stc=1&d=1508281208

A-10HOTAS.thumb.jpg.d7db3975a065b671d85756d1d13fe54c.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

^^^^^^ This!

Now I am no expert on modern aircraft but so far of all the sims I have ever come across, the A10C has one of the best almost seamless transition between systems that once you get used to become second nature. The HOTAS function chart, like above, is basically all you need by your side for any mission.

Thank you both.

I'm reminded of this article: :-)

https://hbr.org/2009/09/death-by-information-overload

Edited by bofhlusr

Thank you both.

I'm reminded of this article: :-)

https://hbr.org/2009/09/death-by-information-overload

It seems daunting at first, but honestly once you get used to it, it's very intuitive. I used to have a logitech3d pro before the WH HOTAS and knowing I was going to upgrade I made sure TMS DMS were used on the Trim hat using the 10-11 buttons as modifiers so once I upgraded it would be easier to transition.

I've included, what I consider the best A10C graphical HOTAS .

I've included, what I consider the best A10C graphical HOTAS .

You included what exactly?? ... I scanned over the prior messages thinking that maybe I missed something from you but could not find any. Please elaborate. Thanks.

You included what exactly?? ... I scanned over the prior messages thinking that maybe I missed something from you but could not find any. Please elaborate. Thanks.

ah sorry it didn't upload, because it was already used on another post and the forums won't let me attach it again.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=252261

And I've included the single page version

A-10C Hotas Small.pdf

What are the real pilot using for a HOTAS? It's not a Warthog. Why wouldn't they use one or is that an old picture?

I guess it's just to learn the fundamentals? They get to go fly the real thing and learn.....;)

They use both as far as I know. Going off this post when I first posted that image here.

... And I've included the single page version

@Dagger71 Where do I get the other version(s)? Thanks.

I guess it's just to learn the fundamentals? They get to go fly the real thing and learn.....;)

They use both as far as I know. Going off this post when I first posted that image here.

It says they're using the T Flight hotas, so just a really cheap one. Proves you don't need a Warthog I guess.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth