Create a moving trigger or assign one to a moving object

Bruce Killsocks

Just trying to familiarize myself with creating environments, I've been trying to search for a way to create a trigger zone that is attached to or moves with another object. For instance I have a trigger zone that is centered around a aircraft carrier, that will spawn a up if anything comes within XXX miles etc etc. Problem is that the zone is stationary, plus I'd like to put other triggers on a an aircraft like an AWACS for example. Is it possible to do this with the ME?

Also for the group that spawns to react to the threat, do I have to assign them waypoints? or do the waypoints matter?

You can connect a "moving zone" to a unit, search in the mission editor..

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S

Its called "unit/group/... inside moving zone".

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Yeah I tried the unit in moving zone trigger, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I was using the trigger as "part of coalition in zone" which was more flexible, than having to define a specific unit entering a zone... I'll have to find another solution for what I'm looking for.... But it we have the static coalition in zone, I don't see why we can't have coalition in moving zone too... Would def make things easier.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OK, at least what I'm trying to do is sorted - not sure if it's what you want or not, but here goes:

From the manual "

UNIT INSIDE MOVING ZONE. This trigger allows you to attach a trigger area zone to a unit and the zone will move along with the assigned unit. Note, the trigger zone can be placed anywhere on the map, but will in fact be always attached to the center of the assigned unit in-game. When selected, you should first select the unit that the area trigger will be attached to by selecting it from the ZONE UNIT drop down list. Next, select the area trigger zone that will be attached to the unit from the ZONE drop down list. Lastly, you need to set the unit that will set the trigger to true when it enters the zone unit’s zone. Do this by selecting a unit from the UNIT drop down list."

All really obvious. What isn't obvious is the way it actually needs to be set up.

So in my case I want a convoy to get all exciteable and trigger happy if the player aircraft comes within a set distance.

1 - Set a trigger zone with the radius you want. It can go anywhere at all - it doesn't matter. Give it an appropriate name.

2 - Go to trigger actions, setup a new trigger action.

3 - Go to the middle column and hit New. Then choose "Unit inside moving zone"

4 = Now select the name of the trigger zone you created earlier.

5 - Where it says "Zone unit" pick the unit you want the trigger zone to follow.

6 - Where it says "Unit" pick the unit you want to trigger an action when it enters the zone.

7 - Now go to the last column and select the triggered action in the usual way.

HTH

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wildcards BlackJack_sml.jpg

• 1 month later...
OK, at least what I'm trying to do is sorted - not sure if it's what you want or not, but here goes:

From the manual "

UNIT INSIDE MOVING ZONE. This trigger allows you to attach a trigger area zone to a unit and the zone will move along with the assigned unit. Note, the trigger zone can be placed anywhere on the map, but will in fact be always attached to the center of the assigned unit in-game. When selected, you should first select the unit that the area trigger will be attached to by selecting it from the ZONE UNIT drop down list. Next, select the area trigger zone that will be attached to the unit from the ZONE drop down list. Lastly, you need to set the unit that will set the trigger to true when it enters the zone unit’s zone. Do this by selecting a unit from the UNIT drop down list."

All really obvious. What isn't obvious is the way it actually needs to be set up.

So in my case I want a convoy to get all exciteable and trigger happy if the player aircraft comes within a set distance.

1 - Set a trigger zone with the radius you want. It can go anywhere at all - it doesn't matter. Give it an appropriate name.

5 - Where it says "Zone unit" pick the unit you want the trigger zone to follow.

6 - Where it says "Unit" pick the unit you want to trigger an action when it enters the zone.

HTH

This works nicely, thank you for the info.

I use it for units outside moving zone, specifically the Super Carrier. I've added some personalised ATC calls!

As for "groups", there is no Group Inside/outside moving zone. However, you can add as many "Units" as you like, so you could get a group in there.

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

• 6 months later...
On 4/30/2020 at 2:21 AM, Blackjack_UK said:

From the manual "

HTH

Thanks!!! works for me!

• 1 month later...