Dogfight iff

Darthcypher

Actually I noticed this since months myself, always thought it was some bug or missing implementation that I needed to wait to be done...

Not sure why but yes it happens in very close range if you acquire (without approaching from afar). Especially with HMD boresight lock.

Actually I noticed this since months myself, always thought it was some bug or missing implementation that I needed to wait to be done...

Not sure why but yes it happens in very close range if you acquire (without approaching from afar). Especially with HMD boresight lock.

I am planning to try iff integration once lock by press sdc depress

It might sound like a daft question then, but are the two flights on different sides?
Yes it might but i am sure who ever i lock in guns fight area has same square even the ones which are in sa page red once i locked close it is everyone square it is 4x4 pvp and i locked everyone at least an hour. What are the odds to lock while everyone chasing each other are friendly?

Yes it might but i am sure who ever i lock in guns fight area has same square even the ones which are in sa page red once i locked close it is everyone square it is 4x4 pvp and i locked everyone at least an hour. What are the odds to lock while everyone chasing each other are friendly?
One more thing i remember for some locks it is square with a round shape hat on it flashing. I didnt see that symbology before.

Quite good if, in the mission file, the 8 aircraft have been declared as all red or as all blue, which was what i was perhaps clumsily trying to say.

This is something that was reported to ED many times but discarded as No Bug every time. In the super hornet a simple positive mode 4 will give you the word "FRIENDLY" in the HUD above the square, but ED states that in the hornet it is not the case. So the pilot doesn't know if it is a friendly by looking at the HUD unless there is an offboard donor in which case you will see the half circle in the HUD. So if you are alone in the battle the HUD won't tell you if it is friendly or not, you'll have to look in the radar page. For me there's no way this is true. But ED has spoken and documents apparently says it is true.

Stay safe

This is something that was reported to ED many times but discarded as No Bug every time. In the super hornet a simple positive mode 4 will give you the word "FRIENDLY" in the HUD above the square, but ED states that in the hornet it is not the case. So the pilot doesn't know if it is a friendly by looking at the HUD unless there is an offboard donor in which case you will see the half circle in the HUD. So if you are alone in the battle the HUD won't tell you if it is friendly or not, you'll have to look in the radar page. For me there's no way this is true. But ED has spoken and documents apparently says it is true.
In my case there is an awacs and 3 other on my side with data linked and no radar or hud shows foe

One friend told me yesterday that ED broke the f16 with last update... he said that textually lol. He explained that everyone is showing FRIEND in the f16 now so maybe the f16 is sending wrong info over datalink. Educated guess only, i don't own the f16 for obvious reasons. EDIT: FRIEND NOT FOE.

Edited by hein22
EDIT: FRIEND NOT FOE.

Stay safe

The actual possible bug nonwithstanding, shouldn't fighting with guns be the kind of situation where instead of playing with the electronic toys good old-fashioned 'looking at the bugger' should be the solution?

Not saying the whole electronic IFF issue shouldn't be investigated, just, you know... fiddling with that strikes me as a little odd.

The actual possible bug nonwithstanding, shouldn't fighting with guns be the kind of situation where instead of playing with the electronic toys good old-fashioned 'looking at the bugger' should be the solution?

Not saying the whole electronic IFF issue shouldn't be investigated, just, you know... fiddling with that strikes me as a little odd.

Unfortunately vr tech is not still thay clear even with spy glass

The FRIEND cue below the HUD TD box is a function of OFP (software version) not a function of legacy Hornet / Rhino. It originally used to be the way it's ingame now, later on the FRIEND cue was added and "SHOOT" was replaced by "IN LAR" when the target is not identified as a hostile. I can put in a feature request for it.

Either way, getting a hostile ID on your target will require more than just lack of IFF M4 response, for example NCTR or offboard hostile ID.

Either way, getting a hostile ID on your target will require more than just lack of IFF M4 response, for example NCTR or offboard hostile ID.

But we are not talking about a hostile cue, we are talking about the lack of a friendly indication in HUD when there are no donors. Right now we cannot trust the HUD for IFF when we are "alone". Which doesn't make any sense IMHO. The aircraft only needs a positive M4 to classify a contact as friendly but the HUD goes rogue and doesn't agree with the rest of the hornet. Sounds odd. This is just me talking anyway.

Stay safe

I was having mp last night with guns only pvp 4x4 using acm for locking but it is very hard to find out who is friend or foe. Everybody is square no diamonds. How can i make sure who is enemy? Do i have to wait a bit after lock to have the diamond?

To OP: Square means Unknown or Ambiguous. So if something has no iff reply and no other donor is confirming the same lack of reply the trackfile will remain as unknown and HUD will show square. If contact has more than one lack of reply, for instance you and a donor or you and an awacs, the hafu will be hostile and the HUD will show diamond with hat above. If contact replies positive to M4 and you are "alone" hafu will be friendly and HUD will be unknown (problem 1). If contact has more than one positive M4 reply, for instance you and an awacs, the hafu will be friendly and HUD will be unknown with a half circle above indicating friendly. Here is where it starts to smell odd. Like I replied to Santi, when no donors are around but the hornet knows it is a friendly (positive M4), then the HUD won't agree and will say "hey, you think it's friendly, well I don't think so", LOL.

Stay safe

But we are not talking about a hostile cue, we are talking about the lack of a friendly indication in HUD when there are no donors. Right now we cannot trust the HUD for IFF when we are "alone". Which doesn't make any sense IMHO. The aircraft only needs a positive M4 to classify a contact as friendly but the HUD goes rogue and doesn't agree with the rest of the hornet. Sounds odd. This is just me talking anyway.

It's not going "rogue". There is no HUD indication for a friendly in the Hornet software version ED is simulating. The box means any: friendly, unknown, ambiguous. In other words, all the box is saying is "this is not a hostile as far as I know". The FRIEND cue was added in later software, so it's ED's choice to include it or not.

Edited by Santi871

I was having mp last night with guns only pvp 4x4 using acm for locking but it is very hard to find out who is friend or foe. Everybody is square no diamonds. How can i make sure who is enemy? Do i have to wait a bit after lock to have the diamond?

One of the things I noticed is that if you are in a turning fight, the Diamond looks like a square at first glance and sometimes vice versa unless you really look hard at it. I Fox-2d my AI wingman in a 2v1 ACM fight when I mistook the box for a diamond.

The way I figured it out looking at both Wag's tutorials and the printed guides is:

Diamond (bandit): the points of the diamond are ALWAYS pointed at the center top and center sides of the HUD no matter the bank angle.

Box (friendly/UKN) the flat sides are always parrallel to the top and sides of the HUD no matter the bank angle.

Neither has anything to do with the Horizon, which is what confused me at first.

Snip20200418_3.png.15c019c136207879d0c2ec09f650b903.png

Snip20200418_2.png.6bc17352a03e3832b639be072c3d6b02.png

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Well final conclusion for me is that ED wants to make it as real as it can be. But in real life these birds are not design to spawn in the middle of a dog fight and instantly chasing each other. So my choice for mp df wont be F18 any more as it is not reliable.

One of the things I noticed is that if you are in a turning fight, the Diamond looks like a square at first glance and sometimes vice versa unless you really look hard at it. I Fox-2d my AI wingman in a 2v1 ACM fight when I mistook the box for a diamond.

The way I figured it out looking at both Wag's tutorials and the printed guides is:

Diamond (bandit): the points of the diamond are ALWAYS pointed at the center top and center sides of the HUD no matter the bank angle.

Box (friendly/UKN) the flat sides are always parrallel to the top and sides of the HUD no matter the bank angle.

Neither has anything to do with the Horizon, which is what confused me at first.

It's so surprising to me that a box and diamod are used, which are so easy to confuse either in the sim or IRL. Not saying it is wrong or inaccruately modelled, but that is a definite error trap that I have fallen into before. Why not a circle or X for one of them?