Dogfight iff

Darthcypher

It's so surprising to me that a box and diamod are used, which are so easy to confuse either in the sim or IRL. Not saying it is wrong or inaccruately modelled, but that is a definite error trap that I have fallen into before. Why not a circle or X for one of them?

Agree. Other IRL platforms show a much more defined difference when something is hostile vs friendly.

The issue is that lack of M4 is no longer a valid indication of hostile. The Blackhawk shootdown in the mid 90s in N Iraq by F-15Cs was the big changing point for that. So there typically either has to be a combo of lack of M4 or other IFF modes + some other on or offboard indication such as NCTR or Point of Origin (POO) or hostile act. It get's really confusing when NATO members or other neutral nations are flying MIG-29s and SU-27s and the like.

But even then it depends on the situation. If its a low scale conflict such as Southern Watch conflicts such as OIF/OEF, the ROE is going to be very strict on what constitutes a hostile. Typically the AWACS is going to have to watch them takeoff, turn hot, run on friendly coalition aircraft, cross a "border" and maybe even fire missiles before they can be declared hostile. In more near peer full scale warfare, such as China invading Taiwan, North Korea invading the ROK or Russia moving on a NATO nation - then the ROE would likely be relaxed and anyone originating on the other side of the "line" would be automatically hostile.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB