Is there any interest in a low cost collective

Thick8

Absolutely awesome design and execution. I especially liked your 4 way hat design. I think you are going to be surprised at the level of interest of people who will want to purchase your collective.

It looks much more robust than the other Huey collective that was made a few years ago in Europe. I had to do a few repairs on my friends who has it.

I didn't see this in the input/output section of the forum, did I miss it?

Anyway, very impressive build.

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/03/10

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Absolutely awesome design and execution. I especially liked your 4 way hat design. I think you are going to be surprised at the level of interest of people who will want to purchase your collective.

It looks much more robust than the other Huey collective that was made a few years ago in Europe. I had to do a few repairs on my friends who has it.

I didn't see this in the input/output section of the forum, did I miss it?

Anyway, very impressive build.

Hey Miles,

Thanks for your your kind words.

I haven’t yet put this up in the other forum yet. I want to get some feedback from some of the hard core Huey pilots first. I’ve had several PMs thus far so I’m pretty excited. Unfortunately my 3D printer has developed an issue that I am addressing with the manufacturer. They’ve shipped a part that they think will correct the issue. I should (fingers crossed) be up and running again by mid week.

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Hey Miles,

Thanks for your your kind words.

I haven’t yet put this up in the other forum yet. I want to get some feedback from some of the hard core Huey pilots first. I’ve had several PMs thus far so I’m pretty excited. Unfortunately my 3D printer has developed an issue that I am addressing with the manufacturer. They’ve shipped a part that they think will correct the issue. I should (fingers crossed) be up and running again by mid week.

John

I don't know what material you are using, but I switched from ABS to almost entirely PETG, and I love it. Its really strong with great adhesion, little shrinkage, and best of all, no smell. You get a little more flex on thin parts, but the other Huey collective kept breaking the 3d parts, but your design looks better. The only problem with PETG is stringing, but as long as you use coast, and retraction, your good.

Apologies if you already know all this, I learned the hard way.

For simplicity, and your low price point, I would not need a throttle. But I only fly DCS birds. Maybe, an add on option if someone really wants one.

Again, impressive work!!! I will be following this.

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/03/10

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

John it looks sick man! Well done! I would buy one today if you had one ready. Thought I would be more of a fixed wing guy but cannot seem to get out of the Huey. The throttle I am using now is just too universal to be any good or consistent. I have been searching like crazy to find something, then there is this. Looks so promising. Dunno how many people have jumped on this but, put me in line(close to the front :) )

Jamie

(i also commented on youtube video a few days ago).

P1X-Simucube2PRO-Protosimteh-Fanatec shifter-GeForce RTX 2070-Corsair RM850x-intel core i9-9900k Coffee lake 8-core- Samsung 860 qvo- G.Skill Ripjaws V-series-Windows 10-64bit- Corsaid HYDRO SERIES-Z390 AORUS pro wifi LGA 1151-

2000 Y-BODY "FRC"

The printer's up and running again. Yea!

The first one printed in PETG is about half way done. Hopefully it will be on it way to a new home before the end of the week. I figure I can do at least 1 a week. I've made several small changes that cut about 10 hours off the print times as well as make the wiring and overall build easier/quicker. I'll post an update later in the week.

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Nice.

P1X-Simucube2PRO-Protosimteh-Fanatec shifter-GeForce RTX 2070-Corsair RM850x-intel core i9-9900k Coffee lake 8-core- Samsung 860 qvo- G.Skill Ripjaws V-series-Windows 10-64bit- Corsaid HYDRO SERIES-Z390 AORUS pro wifi LGA 1151-

2000 Y-BODY "FRC"

Final part of the first PETG assembly is currently on the printer. I'm looking forward to seeing completed.

On another note; it was a slow day at work today so I just sat in front of my computer all day drawing. There was a suggestion and a couple of requests so I figured "what the heck". This may or may not be feasible given the medium I'm working in but I have to try to print one to see.

828999464_OH-58v4.thumb.png.9ee0754f41d79fa464e4eed84875daed.png

2144785575_Throttlequadrant.png.7a8fd990da1e951c98682fb14935d5ef.png

UH-1H.jpg.30ebc7ba4800f4fb8846f56c3791542d.jpg

Edited by Thick8

Great stuff! PM sent.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

I would be interested as well since I just bought the Huey and using my warthog throttles is not really the greatest trying to control RPM and throttle for smooth landings etc. Please PM me if you will have one to sell. One thing I may have missed is how this can be calibrated. Is there any software for it?

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Guess who forgot he used all his micro switches in another project??? Just waiting on them to arrive tonight(?) to finish the first unit.

On a different note. I made my collective out of PLA. The drawback to that is it can't survive a hot environment. So lets say I put in a storage unit for a month for some reason. When I got back to it some of the parts could be warped from the heat. I addition it is also biodegradable and wearable. So for the commercial units I've switched to PETG which doesn't suffer those drawbacks.

Unfortunately there is no "wood' or even a decent brown PETG filament. So I decided to make the first one with a black handle. I also printed a gray handle that matches the hat switch. I've ordered a filament called "Hannibal Red" that looks like it might be a mahogany color, We'll see...

John

1.thumb.jpg.75daf5efc4bc48523af837ecfa7ef5b8.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.fef231ed42b2c187a99b7acac88927c5.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.5dea0a7776a40fd3bfd0019adf7c8317.jpg

I would be interested as well since I just bought the Huey and using my warthog throttles is not really the greatest trying to control RPM and throttle for smooth landings etc. Please PM me if you will have one to sell. One thing I may have missed is how this can be calibrated. Is there any software for it?

It's plug and play. It will have a legal PID/VID and show up in devices as UH-1H Collective. Initial calibration is done through Windows. Then you just.assign buttons and axis in DCS settings. The only issue is that there is no "off" assignment for the landing light. So there is a line you have to add in the UH-1H default controller file. The switch is an on-on switch so if DCS ever decides to fix that oversight then the collective is already wired for it.

John

YEAH! The first PETG one is done.

This is the only one of these that I am going to make and sell. I will also be selling the PLA unit that I am using. Each for $275.

In all fairness I have to share with you that I am testing a swappable head design which these 2 units will not be compatible with. The swappable head units will be priced differently and will be a self build kit.

The drawings I shared in a previous post are of the UH-1H and the OH-58 heads. More heads will forth-coming. As soon as I finish building and testing the swappable head design (a couple of weeks) I will be posting it in the "Input and Output" forum.

So armed with this information who still wants one of these?

1.thumb.jpg.257badb8ff59c28312b62907e67b7fef.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.7f23310e9424fddf4acc6727fbda3b22.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.35e6284facda0137df9f451c5301ccbc.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.22a30751e87a250fbba97f40e9ba1591.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.c2a1a0f646f3cccb774fd94f0671f66c.jpg

Edited by Thick8

Swappable head coupler.

6.thumb.jpg.c0dd2cc0aecc995d26ad20014cc9e185.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.97e8e2eabde104186b3035f103d9cb70.jpg

Hey John, Could you give a little more detail as to the self build kit and what would be required to put one together? (I.E would it require soldering skills, etc or would it be a more basic construction?)

I think at this stage I would probably prefer a prebuilt one. When you say your just doing the one in PETG, do you mean just the one (as in singular) in PETG and the rest are being built in PLA? If so, is there a reason you prefer PLA over PETG?

Apologies for all the questions, but I am clueless when it comes to 3d printing, just trying to get my head around the differences and what the options would be.

**EDIT** Actually I've just re read what you wrote and I think I misinterpreted what you mean, which is, your just doing the one in PETG and you are going to also just sell the one that you currently have in PLA. Your then going to start producing kits. Is that what you mean?

Edited by Ratcatcher

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Hey John, Could you give a little more detail as to the self build kit and what would be required to put one together? (I.E would it require soldering skills, etc or would it be a more basic construction?)

I think at this stage I would probably prefer a prebuilt one. When you say your just doing the one in PETG, do you mean just the one (as in singular) in PETG and the rest are being built in PLA? If so, is there a reason you prefer PLA over PETG?

Apologies for all the questions, but I am clueless when it comes to 3d printing, just trying to get my head around the differences and what the options would be.

**EDIT** Actually I've just re read what you wrote and I think I misinterpreted what you mean, which is, your just doing the one in PETG and you are going to also just sell the one that you currently have in PLA. Your then going to start producing kits. Is that what you mean?

PETG is more resilient than PLA. The one with the brown handle is the PLA unit. The one with the black handle is PETG.

PETG article https://3dbuildr.com/petg-filament/

PLA article https://3dbuildr.com/pla-filament/

I have one of each for sale.

The new design will be printed out of PETG.

I won't be building any after these 2. Other than the swappable head one I will use to make the video of course, and that one will be mine.

I have an 8 hour a day job with a 2 hour round trip so taking this on full time just isn't in the cards right now. I tried but it just isn't working out. So basically I'm building my own collective with a collection of swappable heads and sharing it with the community. As I don't plan on open sourcing the design I figured the next best thing would to be offering up kits for a lower cost that a completed unit. I think some enterprising souls here may offer to build kits for a fee. So the price should stay pretty much around the $330 mark. This will give me the time to design and prototype new heads.

Hope this answers your questions.

John

EDIT: The kit will consist of all the parts and hardware to build the collective. Some of the plastic pieces will be fitted out. The tube will be pre drilled. All required threads will be tapped out. There will be NO soldering or assembly work done. It will take a greater than basic skill to assemble the kit.

Edited by Thick8

YEAH! The first PETG one is done.

This is the only one of these that I am going to make and sell. I will also be selling the PLA unit that I am using. Each for $275.

In all fairness I have to share with you that I am testing a swappable head design which these 2 units will not be compatible with. The swappable head units will be priced differently and will be a self build kit.

The drawings I shared in a previous post are of the UH-1H and the OH-58 heads. More heads will forth-coming. As soon as I finish building and testing the swappable head design (a couple of weeks) I will be posting it in the "Input and Output" forum.

So armed with this information who still wants one of these?

I am still 100% in on this.