Is there any interest in a low cost collective

Thick8

Hi John, many thanks for taking the time to explain that. Much appreciated.

I also fully understand your time constraints, what with working full time, the last thing you want is to have a hobby become a chore!

I would still be interested in one of the preassembled collectives and failing that one of the kits should they become available at a later date. :thumbup:

Thanks again.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

PETG is more resilient than PLA. The one with the brown handle is the PLA unit. The one with the black handle is PETG.

PETG article https://3dbuildr.com/petg-filament/

PLA article https://3dbuildr.com/pla-filament/

I have one of each for sale.

The new design will be printed out of PETG.

I won't be building any after these 2. Other than the swappable head one I will use to make the video of course, and that one will be mine.

I have an 8 hour a day job with a 2 hour round trip so taking this on full time just isn't in the cards right now. I tried but it just isn't working out. So basically I'm building my own collective with a collection of swappable heads and sharing it with the community. As I don't plan on open sourcing the design I figured the next best thing would to be offering up kits for a lower cost that a completed unit. I think some enterprising souls here may offer to build kits for a fee. So the price should stay pretty much around the $330 mark. This will give me the time to design and prototype new heads.

Hope this answers your questions.

John

EDIT: The kit will consist of all the parts and hardware to build the collective. Some of the plastic pieces will be fitted out. The tube will be pre drilled. All required threads will be tapped out. There will be NO soldering or assembly work done. It will take a greater than basic skill to assemble the kit.

Pm sent a week or so ago. What is the process, or list or wait period before a response to know if one will be available for purchase?

P1X-Simucube2PRO-Protosimteh-Fanatec shifter-GeForce RTX 2070-Corsair RM850x-intel core i9-9900k Coffee lake 8-core- Samsung 860 qvo- G.Skill Ripjaws V-series-Windows 10-64bit- Corsaid HYDRO SERIES-Z390 AORUS pro wifi LGA 1151-

2000 Y-BODY "FRC"

Sorry if I missed your PM. It’s been a very busy month. To cut to the chase, there have been may requests for the collective. I’ve sold the black one and probably the brown one as well. I am currently assembling the interchangeable head one right now with the Huey head. I have the Kiowa head on the printer and will be assembling it (hopefully) later in the week. Once they are both assembled, and the assembly video is live, I will begin taking orders for kits. I will also be looking into adding additional heads.

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Comparatively, the Kiowa head is a monster. Maybe scale it down a bit.

EDIT: Yep, I'm going to downscale it 10%. Right now it's 100mm x 115mm and it's too tight a fit between the seat and Warthog throttle. I had scaled down the Huey 10% as well. and will do the same with the KA-50.

978831504_Headcompare.thumb.jpg.e558bf81eb571298d4262d757dba9cff.jpg

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Sorry if I missed your PM. It’s been a very busy month. To cut to the chase, there have been may requests for the collective. I’ve sold the black one and probably the brown one as well. I am currently assembling the interchangeable head one right now with the Huey head. I have the Kiowa head on the printer and will be assembling it (hopefully) later in the week. Once they are both assembled, and the assembly video is live, I will begin taking orders for kits. I will also be looking into adding additional heads.

+1 on the request :D It's a good problem to have I guess right? I understand the low production #s based on time. :thumbup:

P1X-Simucube2PRO-Protosimteh-Fanatec shifter-GeForce RTX 2070-Corsair RM850x-intel core i9-9900k Coffee lake 8-core- Samsung 860 qvo- G.Skill Ripjaws V-series-Windows 10-64bit- Corsaid HYDRO SERIES-Z390 AORUS pro wifi LGA 1151-

2000 Y-BODY "FRC"

I made some forward progress. The interchangeable Huey head is done. I didn't finish the base because of soldering issues. Trying to solder 22 gauge wire to the back pins of an 8-pin mini din is HARD. It took some thought and searching but I found an answer that (I think) will allow anyone with rudimentary soldering skills to do it.

I think the Kiowa head is finalized as well. Without the little side box I ended up at 80mm x 90mm. I drew it up 3 times (large, medium, and small) and settled on small. The tactile 5-way switches seem to work well too. Here's a couple of pics.

EDIT: My wife just said I need to print the medium one because the small is too small. So I'll do that and post a pic of the 3 for everyone's consideration.

The drawing is the medium one for reference. It's on the printer now.

910815795_compare1.thumb.jpg.0a38ed2072aaee2ce96e3fd85b61640a.jpg

1498493269_compare2.thumb.jpg.d9efd07b19388fc58c54360990d07d17.jpg

medium.PNG.b48feb65e8833aef0460a5906ff967aa.PNG

Edited by Thick8

I think it's time to take this thread to the "input and output" forum.

Edited by Thick8

Coming along nicely dude. Wish I could give you more input on the sizing.

2000 Y-BODY "FRC"

• 6 months later...

With all the upcoming helo modules, I expect there will be a lot of interest for an affordable collective.

@Thick8; Please let us know (first of all, if you are doing well) if your collective project is still alive.

As far as I found, right now we have community member K-51 selling an affordable collective and aside from that I only found insanely (over)priced products like this, this, or this, far out of reach from the average Joe.

It puzzles me why none of the established simulator flight controls companies (VIRPIL, Thrustmaster, VKB) didn't already fill this gap long time ago.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On 2/15/2021 at 1:06 PM, sirrah said:

With all the upcoming helo modules, I expect there will be a lot of interest for an affordable collective.

@Thick8; Please let us know (first of all, if you are doing well) if your collective project is still alive.

As far as I found, right now we have community member K-51 selling an affordable collective and aside from that I only found insanely (over)priced products like this, this, or this, far out of reach from the average Joe.

It puzzles me why none of the established simulator flight controls companies (VIRPIL, Thrustmaster, VKB) didn't already fill this gap long time ago.

Virpil is in final testing stage for their collective. So far, UH60 and Ka50 heads will be produced

29 minutes ago, admiki said:

Virpil is in final testing stage for their collective. So far, UH60 and Ka50 heads will be produced

I saw yes. Let's hope they will be reasonably priced 🤞

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

LOL! Virpil "reasonably priced".  But I guess this IS a rich man's game.

They're going to need a really heavy duty lock button on that stick!

Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock!  Target acquired! 😛😅

Also, Komodo Simulations announce OH-58D Kiowa controls ($686 US for the grip alone!).  Looks like the heli game is afoot!

Edited by 3WA

On 2/17/2021 at 9:08 PM, 3WA said:

LOL! Virpil "reasonably priced".  But I guess this IS a rich man's game.

They're going to need a really heavy duty lock button on that stick!

Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock! Lock!  Target acquired! 😛😅

Also, Komodo Simulations announce OH-58D Kiowa controls ($686 US for the grip alone!).  Looks like the heli game is afoot!

I'm with you 😓

This potential project from @Thick8 (hoping he'll get a notification when using his name 🤭) is the one and only reason I didn't yet purchase the collective from K-51.

I'm especially enthusiastic on the modular collective heads idea (specifically made to more or less match each helo)

System specs: