cannot decide f5, albatros, sabre or aviojet for proper learning in VR

jozeff

Hi guys,

I have the sabre and the albatros and never took the time to learn to fly them properly.

I'd really like to start some decent learning now and have been reading a lot about whatight be the best aircraft to start doing this.

I'm not really into the ww2 stuff and the last gen jetfighters are too complex for me.

I fly VR only and don't like the small screens in the modern stuff. Some large gauges is what I prefer. Like I said I own the sabre and The albatross already. The albatross is good for starting to learn but I don't like the Russian spoken tutorials and the and logical placement of instruments.

Whatbout the F5 tiger? Is that a decent module to start learning the ins and outs.

I'm not particularly interested in throwing bombs or shooting stuff. I want to focus on flying.

Any thoughts??

Literally everything is free to use for the next month starting tomorrow. Try them all.

That said the L-39 has some neat telemetry features (though I'm not familiar with them) and is two seater so you can have an instructor in it.

The F-5 is fine for a trainer but if you're not looking to do combat specifically, I don't think it offers anything over the L-39 except a more western cockpit if you prefer those.

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

... I'm not particularly interested in throwing bombs or shooting stuff. I want to focus on flying.

Any thoughts??

The F-5E is a nice little fighter, but given your focus, may I suggest the C-101 instead .. it has western avionics, more navaids than the F-5, cames in two versions with slightly different avionics:

The C-101EB is unarmed, to use as a navigation trainer.

The C-101CC is lightly armed, much like the F-5 but with more weapons variety, tough it lacks Radar, to use as a weapons trainer.

If you ever fly on-line, you will find that two persons can fly on the same plane (provided both own the Module), on the same way as your current Albatros. Take a look:

u5kYJXRS_o8

:smilewink:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I much appreciate the large flight instruments in VR with the L-39 . Very easy to read .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

What about the Sabre for learning?

Laobi had some nice videos on YouTube about good planes for beginners and he mentioned the sabre as good to start with.

I tried the c101 and I found it rather difficult to see all the knobs and gauges in VR.

I'll try the tiger later because indeed it's all free to try this month

Cheers

Jozeff

The F-5 is by far the best choice if you are (like me) interested in the FLYING part of the sim.

The L-39 and the C-101 are more underpowered motorgliders, not much fun and not much to learn IMO.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

F-5E is usually recommend to start learning to fly on you can also jump on the cold war server when you are ready for some pvp action. I would also check the mirage 2000c Its more modern that the F-5e but not as modern as F-16C its a great plane to learn on and one of the best flying experiences, it is also meant to be amazing VR experience.

• Like 1

Tried the aviojet and the f5 and liked them both.

The f5 has a bit harder to read gauges in VR.

I like the aviojets cockpit and lights but if there is not much to do after learning it i might get the f5.

Is there a warthog profile for the tiger f5 somewhere? Can't find a decent profile for Target.

Thanks for your input!

Jozeff

Tried the aviojet and the f5 and liked them both.

The f5 has a bit harder to read gauges in VR.

I like the aviojets cockpit and lights but if there is not much to do after learning it i might get the f5.

Is there a warthog profile for the tiger f5 somewhere? Can't find a decent profile for Target.

Thanks for your input!

Jozeff

Chucks guide shows the keys he mapped & cruves etc on his warthog, its also a great guide enjoy the F-5E! Make sure you check out the Mirage 2000c!

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-f-5e-tiger-ii/

Yes, unfortunately the only aspect where the Aviojet falls short, is on its relatively lack of content for single player .. it was one of the main motivations that I had, to learn how to use the Mission Editor, to make my own missions for this bird:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=269674

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229128

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4112917&postcount=28

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB