New to TM Warthog

Wolf359

I took the leap. My Warthog stick arrived yesterday. The throttle and F-18 grip arrive Tuesday. So I've switched over from the Logitech X56, which I had no problems with at all. But I am going from the loosest spring on the Logitech to this beast of a Warthog stick!

Is there any way to adjust the stiffness, or is that simply the product of something designed to be so close to the real thing?

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

You won't have any issue with stiffness on the hog (giggity). Plus in order to drop a stiffer sitting in (you'd only need one if you put an extension on it) you have disassemble the whole thing. You're gonna love the hotas man.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Check out this thread. I nearly destroyed my shoulder learning AAR with the stock spring. If you're using an extension maybe you don't need, but this makes it much more user friendly. Very easy to swap stock spring for this.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=263101&highlight=green+spring

Also, if you haven't already ordered the throttle slew upgrade (there's a thread on it) I really, really highly recommend that you get it ordered ASAP.

The standard spring is best to use with a 5-10cm extension. Sahaj offers high quallity exchange springs. The green one is softer than the standard spring, the red is heavy for 10-20cm extensions and the blue is extra heavy for extensions above 20cm. Prices are boutique, but the quality is nice.

https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/product-category/springs/

edit: When ordering from Sahaj, invest the money and order one of his silicone O-rings as well. They are worth the money, last longer than the original rubber O-ring of the Warthog and are much smoother. As easy to swap as the springs.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Some great info, guys. I will check this out. Something else I noticed: with the X56, the aircraft kind of "bounced around" when maneuvering, just a bit. Like if I over-steered and didn't stop the roll quick enough. With this Warthog, the aircraft stops its maneuver on a dime, ALMOST feeling arcadish. Is that normal?

As for the extension, I can see why, Right now the base plate is pretty much resting on the front of my seat, with my legs going over it a bit to get to the pedals. Otherwise, the stick sits too high. Sure, I can simply mount the stick to the side, but trying to keep it feeling authentic unless I'm flying the Viper.

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

Has anyone tried the custom F-18 face plate on the throttle?

Still waiting on my Warthog its been over a month now... getting really frustrated!!! Great question to ask as I have read about this spring on the Warthog being stuff.

Hey Wolf33 I see you have the R9... Howzit running for you in DCS? I have almost the same rig but I went with the 2080 Super. Would love to see how your running DCS in the AWCC, are you running @ High Performance and Thermal Balanced?

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Still waiting on my Warthog its been over a month now... getting really frustrated!!! Great question to ask as I have read about this spring on the Warthog being stuff.

Hey Wolf33 I see you have the R9... Howzit running for you in DCS? I have almost the same rig but I went with the 2080 Super. Would love to see how your running DCS in the AWCC, are you running @ High Performance and Thermal Balanced?

Burt, it runs great. Yep, running HP and TB. The fan kicks in, but that's what it's supposed to do. I'm not getting any of that stuttering I used to get on my older PC. I have AWCC configured to kick it into high gear when I start up DCS.

I was getting some strange boot-up stuff going on in the PC. It would start to start, then shut down, then start to start again, then shut down, then start up. I read somewhere that it was due to static build up. Have you experienced anything like that?

Burt, it runs great. Yep, running HP and TB. The fan kicks in, but that's what it's supposed to do. I'm not getting any of that stuttering I used to get on my older PC. I have AWCC configured to kick it into high gear when I start up DCS.

I was getting some strange boot-up stuff going on in the PC. It would start to start, then shut down, then start to start again, then shut down, then start up. I read somewhere that it was due to static build up. Have you experienced anything like that?

Yup I got mine set up the same, I only run DCS on this machine. No I haven't experience that start up issue but I think in the R9 manual towards the end it tells us how to discharge that build up. Could this be it? its on the last page.

Flea power release

About this task

Flea power is the residual static electricity that remains on the computer even after it has been powered off and the battery has

been removed. The following procedure provides the instructions on how to conduct flea power release:

Steps

1. Turn off your computer.

2. Disconnect the power adapter from your computer.

3. Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds to drain the flea power.

4. Connect the power adapter to your computer.

5. Turn on your computer.

Let me know if this works.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Yup I got mine set up the same, I only run DCS on this machine. No I haven't experience that start up issue but I think in the R9 manual towards the end it tells us how to discharge that build up. Could this be it? its on the last page.

Flea power release

About this task

Flea power is the residual static electricity that remains on the computer even after it has been powered off and the battery has

been removed. The following procedure provides the instructions on how to conduct flea power release:

Steps

1. Turn off your computer.

2. Disconnect the power adapter from your computer.

3. Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds to drain the flea power.

4. Connect the power adapter to your computer.

5. Turn on your computer.

Let me know if this works.

That is what I did when I encountered the issue. It worked fine. I suppose it's just something to be aware of, if it happens again. And me too - DCS is the only thing I run on my system.

Sounds good . I’ve been itching to do alittle overclocking but I’m new to this and quit afraid. A lot of great videos out there to go by, but I always have the worst luck tweaking things. The AWCC has a great and easy looking oc feature which I like. I may try to push it up alittle this weekend when I have more time on hand. I’m really loving the R9, mainly cause it’s the best computer I’ve ever owned and I’m an older fellah haha

Take care

Edited by Burt
Oops

Start Date April 2020 

Sounds good . I’ve been itching to do alittle overclocking but I’m new to this and quit afraid. A lot of great videos out there to go by, but I always have the worst luck tweaking things. The AWCC has a great and easy looking oc feature which I like. I may try to push it up alittle this weekend when I have more time on hand. I’m really loving the R9, mainly cause it’s the best computer I’ve ever owned and I’m an older fellah haha

Take care

Let me know how it goes. And hey man, I'm no spring chicken either LOL.

haha ! Okay will do Wolf333. I always like to see other R9 users opinions, thoughts and performances with the machine. so far I'm loving it. Everything I do nowdays has learning curve.

Take care.

Start Date April 2020 

Where have you seen this? I just looked through the TM web site and didn't find it.

It's not on their site, or from them. I found them on eBay and a straight Google search. Saw a plate for the f-18, f-16, and f-14. But they're out of Russia and Australia only, so far as I can find. Now, some of the switches do not function like on/off, but anything that doesn't distract and focuses to the Hornet is a plus.

Take a look:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/788006047/fa-18c-hornet-custom-plate-for?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_b-electronics_and_accessories-video_games&utm_custom1=56ea8ff7-8848-445c-a8c9-a4af366a1249&utm_content=go_2063581587_76452867735_367965825564_pla-353987697789_c__788006047&utm_custom2=2063581587&gclid=CjwKCAjw1v_0BRAkEiwALFkj5sv36eUQ2s4PQk-lYKKamSGgidoKyPTMyPzRUP2UFkEdHyasbLTj2BoCTj8QAvD_BwE

Edited by Wolf333

Ok, so I see what you all are saying about the slew button, and about the extension tubes, etc. But I gotta say, those folks who are selling the add-ons, upgrades, etc. are pricing some of these things a bit high. "There's a sucker born every minute" - P. T. Barnum.

After paying what we pay for the HOTAS? Wow.

Ok, now I'm off to pre-order the slew analog replacement.

I noticed that not all of the switches are on/off. For instance, when I try to bind the oxygen switch in the F18, one direction (up) turns it on, but the opposite does not turn it off. Is there a way to adjust that?

I use the TM Target GUI software for that. Not a big deal, you can map each switch position for 2 and 3 way switches. Just make sure you set the signal to "pulse" instead of "hold" for the permanent switches.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I noticed that not all of the switches are on/off. For instance, when I try to bind the oxygen switch in the F18, one direction (up) turns it on, but the opposite does not turn it off. Is there a way to adjust that?

That is indeed a bit annoying, you are supposed to solve that thanks to the Target Software.

You could also use other software such as Vjoy+Joystick Gremlin which I personally advise over Target GUI editor as it can do more and is easier. Target Script Editor however it still more powerful I think but to make good use of it you must be able to code. :joystick:

Two exemple where I map the off position of some switch on my Warthog throttle here :

https://imgur.com/a/T7y4gwx

https://imgur.com/a/96Hifh7

Cool thing about Gremlin is it won't force you to remap all your control like Target would. It comes on top of your actual Warthog throttle configuration.

I use the TM Target GUI software for that. Not a big deal, you can map each switch position for 2 and 3 way switches. Just make sure you set the signal to "pulse" instead of "hold" for the permanent switches.

If I remap in TARGET, will it interfere with bindings in DCS controls?

If I remap in TARGET, will it interfere with bindings in DCS controls?

Cool thing about Gremlin is it won't force you to remap all your control like Target would. It comes on top of your actual Warthog throttle configuration.

Target morphs your controllers (those you include into that profile) into one virtual controller. After launching the profile, you can map your buttons/switches either in DCS or in Target, or a mixed layout. But your DCS keybindings on the throttle/Stick are gone, as the virtual Target controller is recognized by DCS as a new device.

An issue with morhping your HOTAS into one virtual controller is, that one controller can only have 8 axis and a specific number of buttons/switches (can't remember exactly how much, but 8 is the limit for axis). It's a windows issue, not realy a Target problem. I.e i have only the Warthog throttle included to my Target profiles to make use of the 2 and 3 way switches, but my pedals and my stick is excluded from the profile and conpletely mapped in DCS. Just because the axis are mapped in DCS anyways and not in Target and i didn't need the additional functions for the stick either.

Target is a powerful tool. If y don't use Target (or similar software), you're missing a lot of the Warthogs potential. In competive multiplayer the Target script editor could almost be designated cheating. But even the GUI software is great IMO, not as difficult to use as the script editor (unless you can code) and provides nice features and functions. But you'll find very diverse opinions about Target here. Some ppl (like me) don't wanna miss it anymore, while for others it's the seed of evil.

Joystick Gremlin is a similar software, not bound to any controls manufactor. If you don't like Target, you may wanna try this one. A lot of ppl say there is no need for separate mapping software, but i'd highly recommend one.

I get it. Just doing my research ;)