Mission 8 - Wingman stays at parking, DCS crashes when certain targets destroyed

LewisBarksdale

Hello! First off, I'm enjoying The Enemy Within tremendously so far. Tense, seems realistic, really well done.

I'm on Mission 8 and the first problem I encountered was that the wingman stays back at the parking area no matter what. Tuned into tower and asking for taxi, it'll tell me "Ford 1-1, hold position" over and over. I think it might have something to do with the 2-flight of A-10s coming in to land, but not sure that it ends there. In any case I've tried taxing all over the place, waiting for the 2-flight to land, taking off, etc. and the wingman never follows me.

After attempting the mission with the default load out I decide it's probably not sufficient without the wingman's weapons, so I redo the mission more or less doubling load (removed rockets added mavericks for 6 total, added 2 GBU-12s).

On my redo attempt, this was going well although I couldn't get the the GBU-12s to hit the bunker using the JTAC laser. I didn't do LSS to verify this, sorry, but I think they may have been lasing the right-hand bunker while I was doing CCRP on the left-hand one (the JTAC-provided coordinate is relatively imprecise and points to a tree between them, and I think this may have contributed to it not hitting). Not a huge deal but I thought I'd mention it, and I haven't really precisely verified the JTAC is lasing the wrong location -- possible I messed up here.

After hitting the bunkers with JDAMs, I shot a maverick (all I had left) at the main structure. Then, hard DCS crash. I can't imagine this is the fault of mission design because surely you shouldn't be able to cause that. ;)

I then restarted for a 3rd attempt at the mission (again without wingman and with heavier loadout). This time my JDAM didn't hit the Gaskin (not sure why) so I shot a maverick at it (successfully). I then shot a maverick at the closer AAA site within the main camp, followed by hard DCS crash.

Again, I'm sure the mission design shouldn't cause a crash but am mentioning in case you have ideas about what additional factor might be at play. It seems to happen just about the moment of impact, and both times it's been mavericks.

I really enjoy this mission so hoping there's a workaround I can use to complete it successfully. Grateful for any ideas!

Hey,

Sorry to hear about the problems. To be honest in 2.5.6 I am getting so many bug reports like this it is getting difficult to keep up and it becomes really frustrating (not the reports but the fact this update broke so many things). I can remove the landing flight, but can’t do anything about CTDs..

Please report logs for those crashes in the DCS 2.5 - Bugs and Problems - Game Crash section.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Thanks Baltic Dragon! Just flew it successfully and had none of the problems I had before. (I didn't try to drop a laser guided bomb on the bunkers using the JTAC laser, so didn't test that, but since the exact coordinates were in the briefing anyway it made more sense to drop JDAMs.)

Before retrying the mission, I had a somewhat similar hard crash at the exact moment I landed an F-18 on the carrier in multiplayer. After that I restarted and Windows ran some updates. Have only done this one mission since, but perhaps that fixed some of the problems.

Thanks again for the help.

I just tried it on latest Open Beta. Two A-10Cs were still landing at wingman could not taxi. No crashes though.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |