ASP Site in Gyro Auto mode is not working

LupinYonder

Hi

I've noticed recently that the ASP site is no longer working correctly for the aiming of ATG unguided rockets.

In ground attack, Auto, Gyro modes and with the target locked with radar ( I think it has to be in beam mode but I'm not sure ) the range is giving below the site on the range scales and needle but the site itself is still "caged" as if it's in missile mode and provides no aiming point.

I've been reading up on the correct behaviour of the site using an available English translation of a Mig21bis flight manual the way it describes the site function is what we used to have working in DCS.

Here are some extracts from an English translation of the Bis manual. They detail the use of the optical site and the methods of Air to Ground unguided rocket use in Gyro mode.

These extracts indicate that the site, using radar and data from the slant range unit, can provide an accurate aiming estimate.

At the moment, if you follow these methods, the site does not uncage as it should when using Gyro mode in Air to Ground. This is either a bug or mistake of some sort.

If you attempt to use manual method e.g. Missile mode, Manual Mode, manually enter depression angle setting using the S5 mark on the right-hand dial, the pipper is also at the incorrect hight and does not provide an accurate aiming point. I believe this is also a bug or mistake.

I shall provide a dropbox link for the manual, I don't know it's source or accuracy but it seems pretty legitimate. The pages I've included are from 59-60 and 66.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3haomu0ncy...anual.pdf?dl=0

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=233447&d=1587570549

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=233446&d=1587570549

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, it's broken.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The mode that I need per the manual is the gyro with 300m fixed range for close-in dogfighting. When you follow the manual's switch lineup to get that mode, you end up with a reticle that just moves from side to side with no vertical compensation at all.

However, if you follow those directions but change just one switch, it seems to be working the way I wanted:

Per the manual, you need the weapon mode air/ground in air mode, missile/gun in gun mode, the shoot/bomb in shoot mode, and the auto/manual in manual with the twist handle range rolled all the way back to minimum.

That lineup doesn't work right in the game, but if you move the auto/manual to auto, you can see the gunsight go to a dramatically larger, fixed reticle when you roll the twist grip all the way back to minimum range. This appears to be the fixed 300m mode, because the range is otherwise 600m to 2000m in auto, which would cause the reticle to have half the size at 600m.

I suddenly find myself able to live with this now that I have the mode I wanted. I had also tried out the rockets/bombing modes recently and they seemed to work well with recent patches.

I am sure this fixed range 300m mode was actually working for quite some time, but I wasn't using it because I was expecting the manual mode to work per the manual, including the 300m mode.

With the realization that I have the gunsight mode I wanted most, the main thing I am missing is a virtual pilot body. I love to have the pilot body enabled when I don't need to see around it and especially when I am flying in VR. The AJS-37 Viggen finally got a pilot body... and it came out long after the MiG-21. Magnitude 3 LLC/Leatherneck needs to get hot and get that pilot in the game!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I´m strating to think that part of the problem with the ASP is related to the "Realistic option" in the tab specials on the main menu.

If they deactivate, or better erase this option, the code can be more straightforward and the workflow of the swtiches combinations easier to adjust.

On a side note, in beam mode can the radar be locked on a target IRL? It seems strange.

From my reading of manuals, while it is not at all exactly clear, I estimate that with the radar in fixed beam mode that engagement to the lock on search mode isn't possible. The only reason I reach this conclusion is:

1. No range gate is supplied by the pilot as in the normal scanning mode which stands to reason is somewhat necessary to lock in a reasonable time.

2. The only mention of fixed beam use is during air-to-ground attack when its utility in air-to-air attack is obvious and would be mentioned if it was able to act as it does in DCS.