Is the M2000C really so difficult? Or am I having a bad day?

sirrah

Thanks to ED's trial month, I finally had the opportunity to try the Mirage. Boy, does this dark cockpit look cool! And that VR pilot is awesome!

Of course I also used this opportunity to try some other modules I don't have yet. But, both the M2000 and the JF-17 have me in their grasp and I'm considering buying one of these two (probably end up buying 'em both eventually :P). The bare metal Mig-19 looks fantastic by the way, but it's flight characteristics don't really appeal to me.

Anyway...

Is it just me, or does the M2000C have an extremely steep learning curve compared to all the other modules? :huh::book:

I haven't even managed to properly land this baby. I don't think I ever struggled with that in any other module. Not with the AV-8B, F-14 or even any of the Helo modules.

I tried 3 of the training missions (intro to INS, navigation and ILS landing), but on all three I somehow got stuck at some point (probably because I did something wrong).

Will this get easier quickly? Or is this indeed one of the more complex modules?

And why isn't there a normal landing training mission for noobs like me, telling me what speed and AOA I need to try and strive for? :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Thanks to ED's trial month, I finally had the opportunity to try the Mirage. Boy, does this dark cockpit look cool! And that VR pilot is awesome!

Of course I also used this opportunity to try some other modules I don't have yet. But, both the M2000 and the JF-17 have me in their grasp and I'm considering buying one of these two (probably end up buying 'em both eventually :P). The bare metal Mig-19 looks fantastic by the way, but it's flight characteristics don't really appeal to me.

Anyway...

Is it just me, or does the M2000C have an extremely steep learning curve compared to all the other modules? :huh::book:

I haven't even managed to properly land this baby. I don't think I ever struggled with that in any other module. Not with the AV-8B, F-14 or even any of the Helo modules.

I tried 3 of the training missions (intro to INS, navigation and ILS landing), but on all three I somehow got stuck at some point (probably because I did something wrong).

Will this get easier quickly? Or is this indeed one of the more complex modules?

And why isn't there a normal landing training mission for noobs like me, telling me what speed and AOA I need to try and strive for? :P

Landing is super easy.

Landing AoA is 14°. You just have to select APP mode on PCA and you will get AoA bracket in the HUD. Put the velocity vector in the middle.

You also have chevron to tell you if you are accelerating, slowing down or stable.

No air brakes on final, with this AoA, the wing is your air brake.

>] -O- [<

When you select APP mode don't forget to rise the seat to have proper field of view for lading.

Auto pilot is also super convenient to trim the aircraft, and it's standard procedure on this bird.

You can activate AP and turn/ climb through trim command on the stick.

You can take control to make change manually with AP SBY then release it.

It's a bit late, I'll try to make a video tomorrow :smilewink:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

You can activate AP and turn/ climb through trim command on the stick.

You can take control to make change manually with AP SBY then release it.

That's a very nice feature on the Mirage, I love that aircraft

Marc..

Landing is super easy.

Landing AoA is 14°. You just have to select APP mode on PCA and you will get AoA bracket in the HUD.

Ah, I didn't know this (obviously I haven't had time to study the manual yet). With APP selected it all made sence and was pretty easy indeed :thumbup:

I know that more aircraft have similar features (F-14, AV8B), but isn't it silly that you have to actively "tell" the plane that you want to land. Isn't putting my gear down pretty much suggesting the same? :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Landing can be fun and rewarding

APP and raising the seat really helped me. Go ahead and try out the zero visibility landing with the M2000 using ILS to see the outline of the runway in the hud. I think its the only module that does it. There is a truck next to the runway that provide this tech/ability!

Cheers

Anyway...

Hey Sirrah, let me know on which missions you got stuck - I updated them recently and they should be working. Also have a look at the manual.

Cheers!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I got stuck on the Navigation mission (I think that's M02?) At some point I just stopped receiving messages. But again, probably because I did something wrong.

On M04 ILS approach, I crashed in the sea as I didn't know about the "APP" button and hadn't pressed it. So again, just my own incompetence.

Still my general feeling of the aircraft was that I was struggling with these basic things.. Flew it again yesterday with the help I got in this thread and it went a lot better :thumbup:

System specs:

Anyway...

The "Charlie" has to be my favourite. Then the Harrier.

When you get to the bomb training remember to assign weapon CMD forward and aft. I don't know if Baltic Dragon has re done the training missions for bombs, if not there is no mention of the weapon CMD forward/aft in the training misdions and if you don't use this command you won't see any bomb symbology!

When you complete the training, the best Red Flag out there is by Baltic Dragon! The M2k Red Flag will transform you into a French Fighter Pilot! It's a seriously good module and that Red Flag is worth every penny. Hope he does one for the Harrier, with some FOB included!

Cheers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

I could imagine this unfamiliarity is caused by the quite different design approach compared to common US fighter aircraft and their "simulation" in flight sims over the last years/decades.

The "gear down = activate ILS for me!" feature sounds familiar to me thinking of sims like Janes USAF etc. - I don't know if F-16 etc. behave like this?

Put your gear down in the Viper and it'll automatically go to landing configuration (flaperons will go down and the flight control outputs become less "violent"). ILS will still have to be set manually of course to match the specific airfields freq.

Maybe it's also an age thing. The F-14, M2000, Harrier avionics are a bit more dated compared to the Viper and Hornet

System specs:

Put your gear down in the Viper and it'll automatically go to landing configuration (flaperons will go down and the flight control outputs become less "violent"). ILS will still have to be set manually of course to match the specific airfields freq.

Maybe it's also an age thing. The F-14, M2000, Harrier avionics are a bit more dated compared to the Viper and Hornet

No, Mirage 2000 went into service after F-16A and around the same time as F/A-18A :smilewink:

The only interest I see, is that in IFR flight, when you perform long final, you don't have to fly all the way through with landing gear down.

You can display landing mode in the HUD with ILS, and slow down later to lower landing gear.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

No, Mirage 2000 went into service after F-16A and around the same time as F/A-18A :smilewink:

Got me there :thumbup:

System specs:

You still have to extend speedbrakes manually on the F-16, as extended speedbrakes are part of landing configuration for F-16.

On the M2000C, you have nothing to do to set up the plane for landing, except slowing down to lower gear (as for every plane). Slats extension are handled automatically depending on AOA and are retracted automatically once gear is down. There is no specific Fly By Wire gain for landing, no flaperon, speedbrakes are not used for standard landing.

Oh, and M2000C has a AP mode that follow automatically LOC/GS once captured :music_whistling:

Clearly, it has nothing to envy to F-16 and F-18 on the avionics IMO. Mirage 2000 has nothing to envy to any 4th Gen fighter on any level in fact : BEST PLANE EVER ! (ok i might be a little biased)

Edited by Steph21

You still have to extend speedbrakes manually on the F-16, as extended speedbrakes are part of landing configuration for F-16.

On the M2000C, you have nothing to do to set up the plane for landing, except slowing down to lower gear (as for every plane). Slats extension are handled automatically depending on AOA and are retracted automatically once gear is down. There is no specific Fly By Wire gain for landing, no flaperon, speedbrakes are not used for standard landing.

Oh, and M2000C has a AP mode that follow automatically LOC/GS once captured :music_whistling:

Clearly, it has nothing to envy to F-16 and F-18 on the avionics IMO. Mirage 2000 has nothing to envy to any 4th Gen fighter on any level in fact : BEST PLANE EVER ! (ok i might be a little biased)

Yes, there is specific FBW gain for landing, but this is done automatically with gear down :smilewink:

You're right for the rest, slats in (automatic) and no air brakes before touch down.

Mirage 2000C was at good level from mid-80' to mid-90'. But when Fox 3 were widespread, it became out-classed.

Being Fox 1 shooter in Fox 3 world is difficult :music_whistling:

From 1997-1999 the Mirage 2000-5F took over the role of front line ai defense.

Fox 3 on Mirage 2000...I hope will get it, but it's another story :smilewink:

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

Glad I stumbled into this thread! Great read guys, thanks! Got it before the sale was extended, together with the Red Flag of course, and currently flying it in stable, due to the FPS issues. But if things are updated recently, I'll def jump back to OB!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

On another note:

Does one ever get used to: "zhe Frensh aczzent in zhe training mizzions"

Until now, I can't help to really get annoyed by it :P

System specs:

I got the Mirage right after last month's two-day trials in which I gave it a spin and oddly my experience has been quite the opposite. I found my first flight in it to be very pleasant and rather easy to control. Admittedly I found the fact that a lot of things are just different quite charming as well.

And I loved ze accent.

hehe

Yesterday I tried out the JF-17 some more. I really like its multirole capabilities, the modern and pretty easy cockpit avionics and that super sexy betty voice. Did quite a few training missions from Rudel (which are great!).. but... after 2 hours of easy learnings and recognizable cockpit terminology, I somehow still got sucked back to the M2000..

I think it's because the M2000 sort of radiates passion, as where the Jeff feels really clinical...

System specs:

• 2 weeks later...

I had difficulties at strat also with the M2000C. It is very different from US aircraft. But the campaign is amazing to learn the beast. And finally, it is just an amazing aircraft to fly with !

Talon Karde

Du Talon de qualité, élevé au grain et en plein air, entièrement livré en kit.

Mauvais pilote:joystick: sur DCS: F-14B, DCS: F/A-18C et DCS: Mirage 2000C :wub:

-= In Ctrl + E + E + E we trust =-

Blog Takarde Gaming

Envie de tester Shadow de Blade? Tiens, un code de parrainage : ARNJB3VB

Ze franch axent iseu mandatorii part off zee treining!

At lasteu âne inglish communicachionne aie can undereustand

Talon Karde

Du Talon de qualité, élevé au grain et en plein air, entièrement livré en kit.

Mauvais pilote:joystick: sur DCS: F-14B, DCS: F/A-18C et DCS: Mirage 2000C :wub:

-= In Ctrl + E + E + E we trust =-

Blog Takarde Gaming

Envie de tester Shadow de Blade? Tiens, un code de parrainage : ARNJB3VB

At lasteu âne inglish communicachionne aie can undereustand

I probably need an AZERTY keyboard to be able to properly communicate with "ze Frenge peeple"

System specs: