B-17 skin location?

Sprool

Pls advise correct location to find & store skins for the B-17? I see screenshots of basic livery B-17s but theres only one default ai skin on mine, which is v nice and shiny metal but I want a wave of drab olive green ones to shoot.

I store them on this path:

\Users\my-user\Saved Games\DCS.OpenBeta\Liveries\B-17G

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

That's where mine are. Although for some reason when I use the two User made skins I lose the default skin .

That is strange ... I've the following user liveries:

luyQwcu.jpg

As I have my own convention for naming the user liveries, it is very easy for me to distinguish the game's liveries from the ones I've added, as on the ME they look like this:

t6TB4hM.jpg

The ones above Dominican Republic, are DCS default skins.

On the game, both types of skins work for me:

mjHbmDc.jpg

As always, kudos to the skin artists, for sharing their work :thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

well thats really interesting as on the mission editor I get none of these default skins, only the D-Day Doll.

Some of the other B-17 skins I downloaded are very differnt files - single dds for whole skin but others are 4 or 5 textures with specular texture files as well.

I only get 1 default(D Day Doll) - until I install the other skins(Flak Easter & Miss Mischief). Then I lose the default - if I choose US as a nation. If I choose UK the 1 skin is there but not the other two.

2.5.6 Open Beta

My folders don't have USA in the name either. Just DCS OPENBETA/Liveries/ 364th etc. Also D Day Doll isn't there at all.

That would be because I had no B-17G folder , I had to make it.

My full path is c:/users/owner/saved games /dcs openbeta/liveries/B-17g/

Edited by Seaside

I made a B-17 folder in saved games path so I get the hi res skins, Flak Eater, Mischief, D-Day - but dont get any of the olive drab ones I've seen on screenshots from friends online play. These I think are the lower res skins from maybe earlier versions? The skin packs you can download in DCS have a bunch of the lower res skins (only one dds texture file) which dont seem to show up in game now. They just default to D-Day Doll. (which is very pretty). Maybe what is needed is some new hi-res olive skins if this is a post-update issue.

• 1 year later...

I also can't find the default B-17G liveries?

I look in \Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\tech\WWII Units\Liveries but there is no B-17G folder. Where else do they live?

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 8:54 PM, dresoccer4 said:

I also can't find the default B-17G liveries?

I look in \Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\tech\WWII Units\Liveries but there is no B-17G folder. Where else do they live?

Don't look in your DCS game folder, look under "users" for "saved games" on your windows drive. You need to create the folder yourself. If you don't have a "Liveries" folder, make that too, then make the "B-17G" folder in that.

33 minutes ago, Ozone1 said:

Don't look in your DCS game folder, look under "users" for "saved games" on your windows drive. You need to create the folder yourself. If you don't have a "Liveries" folder, make that too, then make the "B-17G" folder in that.

yep, i got that part. looking for the built-in liveries that come with the game. when i add additional liveries in the saved game fiolders it seems to overwite the defalt ones. so trying to locate them

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• 7 months later...
On 4/21/2020 at 4:42 PM, Rudel_chw said:

As I have my own convention for naming the user liveries, it is very easy for me to distinguish the game's liveries from the ones I've added, as on the ME they look like this:

t6TB4hM.jpg

Have you elaborated on executing your convention before?  If so, can you direct to thread or possibly explain what you're doing.  I presume there's some LUA editing happening.  Thanks!

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

1 hour ago, Mistermann said:

Have you elaborated on executing your convention before?

Hello. No, I've never elaborated on it, since most people are not as obsesive as myself 😳

1 hour ago, Mistermann said:

If so, can you direct to thread or possibly explain what you're doing.  I presume there's some LUA editing happening.  Thanks!

I can explain it here .. and yes, there is LUA editing 🙂 :

A livery folder might contain many files, but as a minimum it should have these:

1) a "description.lua" file describing its contents.
2) One or more texture graphics files, also called "skins".

The description.lua file tells DCS which default skin files to use on that aircraft and which modified files to use. It also tells the program what the name of the aircraft skin will be and the country that aircraft will belong to. It is these two latter options the ones I usually modify to get the livery to adopt my naming convention.

You can open the file using a text editor, I use the free Notepad++ as Windows' Notepad sometimes introduces extra invisible characters at the end of a line (carriage returns and the like).Within the description.lua  there is a "livery = {" sentence that lists the graphics skin file it will use ... don't touch this section unless you know what are you doing or have to correct the skin.

Next there should be a "name = " sentence, where you specify which name will be displayed within the  game for this livery. If this line is missing the skin folder name will be used instead (I would suggest for ease you make the aircraft name and folder name the same anyway).

Finally, the "countries =" sentence sets the countries the aircraft livery is available for, if you want more than one county, add each one in " " with a comma between each, e.g.

countries = {"USA", "AUS", "CAN", "UK"}

If the countries line is missing, the skin will be available to all countries. I'm attaching a table with the current country codes.

So, whenever I download a new skin, I simply store it onto a folder that I create with my naming convention: 

Country Code in upper case - Livery name  (author username)

Then I copy the folder name, open its description.lua and paste it onto the "name = " sentence.  Finally I edit the countries sentence, leaving only the countries that actually used this livery in real life ... if the country doesnt exist in DCS i assign it to Spain for latinamerican skins. If the skin is fictional, I use FIC as country code.

For example, this is the description.lua of the Dominican B-17 shown above:

livery = {
    {"B17G_Fuzelage_1", 0 ,"Fuselage1",false};
    {"B17G_Fuzelage_1", 1 ,"B-17G_Fuzelage_1_N",true};
    {"B17G_Fuzelage_1", 2 ,"Fuselage1_SPEC",false};

{"B17G_Fuzelage_2", 0 ,"Fuselage2",false};
    {"B17G_Fuzelage_2", 1 ,"B-17G_Fuzelage_2_N",true};
    {"B17G_Fuzelage_2", 2 ,"Fuselage2_SPEC",false};

{"B17G_Wing_Left", 0 ,"WingLeft",false};
    {"B17G_Wing_Left", 1 ,"B-17G_Wing_Left_N",true};
    {"B17G_Wing_Left", 2 ,"WingLeft_SPEC",false};

{"B17G_Wing_Right", 0 ,"WingRight",false};
    {"B17G_Wing_Right", 1 ,"B-17G_Wing_Rigth_N",true};
    {"B17G_Wing_Right", 2 ,"WingRight_SPEC",false};
}

name = "RDO - B17G Dominican Republic (by CHSubZero)"
countries = {"SPN"}

-- made by CHSubZero (my real first name is Dominic *smile*)

Any line that begins with "--" is a comment.

Countries.pdf

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Sir!!

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 7 months later...

Old thread but I was looking for answers to the same questions. What I found is that for non purchase modules like the B-17G and Ju-88A4, you 'lose' the original stock skin once you place a new livery in either the Mods\tech\WWII Units\Liveries folder or the Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries folder. You can get the stock skin only by choosing a different country with that plane. I think the stock Ju-88A4 livery (green Leopard prints) is in Mods\tech\WWII Units\Textures but is zipped. I tried unzipping it and making it like a livery folder in Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries but it wouldn't show up in the ME because it doesn't have the standard livery structure (eg. no description.lua file). The B-17G skin pack by KIZIR_77 includes the stock skin (D-Day Doll) that's why you still see the stock skin after installing the pack in Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries. It would otherwise have become unavailable also. Anyone have a working default Ju-88A4 livery in a folder?

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

6 hours ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

Anyone have a working default Ju-88A4 livery in a folder?

Yes, try placing this one at /Saved Games/ .. it will show up alongside other liveries you may have downloaded:

fZE1pjL.jpg

GER - Default (by ED).zip

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Yes, try placing this one at /Saved Games/ .. it will show up alongside other liveries you may have downloaded:

GER - Default (by ED).zip 612 B · 0 downloads

Hey thanks. I put it in saved games/liveries... but the guns are purple? (as in your pic also)

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4

17 hours ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

... but the guns are purple? (as in your pic also)

Good eye, that was a mistake of mine .. this is a corrected version:

QBFPXEY.jpg

👍

GER - Default (by ED).zip

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Good eye, that was a mistake of mine .. this is a corrected version:

QBFPXEY.jpg

👍

GER - Default (by ED).zip 639 B · 0 downloads

Perfect, thanks so much!

• 3 months later...