Ailerons not working

Oscarn

Hey guys, is anybody else having trouble with the ailerons not working? I just went to start up the hornet today, exactly the same way that I always have, but noticed they wouldn't move at all. They aren't X'd out on the fcs page either. Any help would be appreciated, cheers

IMG_20200422_212203.thumb.jpg.e4133e4cbfb06554a4b3e678d000cbf9.jpg

Have you checked your axis settings under controls? I can't count how many times mine have become messed up. Even sometimes unplugging and then not getting them in the same USB slot is enough for dcs to get confused.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Yes I already checked that, as you can see in the image the roll axis still controls the horizontal stabilizers but not the ailerons. They also do not move down with the flaps (in half and full)

Commonly unknown fact: after you place the handle to spread, you must wait for 5 seconds AFTER the wings reach the fully spread position to push the handle forward to the lock position. Lots of people just spread and push (so to speak). Super Hornet is different though.

Lol I would he's not taking off without getting good checks on the ailerons!

Yeah it's just that I suspect some features of the Hornet might be disabled when stationary on the ground.

To start airborne just select a mission where you're already in the air (or create your own in the editor) and see if the ails are working now.

So no one actually thought of the FCS and how the Hornet works?

You have no, nada, zero, zippity zip direct control of the controls surfaces in the Hornet. There’s no such thing as an aileron or elevator stick. If you move your stick sideways, you are telling the Hornet you want to roll. The Hornet gets to decide what surfaces it will move in order to make that happen. You as a pilot are simply a “voting member”.

No airspeed or low airspeed? Guess what happens when an aileron moves down... that side of the wing stalls even sooner. Not ideal when you are low and slow. For a good aerodynamic lesson on this phenomenon, search YouTube for “Turn Smart”. That is a key video all pilots should watch at some point.

Did you notice how both Hornet rudders are deflected inward when you are getting ready for takeoff and soon after takeoff? The Hornet has a mind of its own and this is to help pitch the nose up because there is a horizontal component to the vertical tails. Watch them slowly come back to neutral position as your airspeed builds up in the climb.

Cheers!

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

So no one actually thought of the FCS and how the Hornet works?

You have no, nada, zero, zippity zip direct control of the controls surfaces in the Hornet.

There’s no such thing as an aileron or elevator stick.

Very true on the elevator stick as there is no elevator on the F/A-18. More like a horizontal stabilators. This doesn't change the fact that the F/A-18 the ailerons will be the primary roll control surface and the horizontal stabilators will be primary for pitch control surface. Yes other surfaces can and will move to assist ala rudders for pitch and horizontal stabs for roll.

No airspeed or low airspeed? Guess what happens when an aileron moves down... that side of the wing stalls even sooner. Not ideal when you are low and slow.

Yes but if you are suggesting that the surface don't move on the ground in response to pilot input you would be wrong.