Questions on the state of F16

Arikaj

Hey guys,

wanted to ask on the state of F16. I haven't been playing DCS when the Viper came out, but I heard it didn't come in a good form.

Are some important things still missing? I have flown the plane for a couple of times now during this free for all event and registered that it is a bit unresponsive to small pitch and roll changes (don't know if the FM is still in devepolment or it is a thing of the FCS)

So i wanted to know your general opinion of it.

Right now it is missing features across the board, however for air to air it's one of the best aircraft in my opinion. Situational awareness is unmatched, visibility is better than any other aircraft, it's a dream to fly and moves like a bat out of hell.

Make of that what you will

It's my favorite module as well, despite all the missing things.

It is very early access, but it's fun as hell for sure.

And yes, in my opinion the FM and/or FCS needs work. It feels very unresponsive, in total contrast

to what real pilots say. Especially in Cat III and landing config it feels like the plane is fighting the pilot.

I'm really enjoying it, yep its very WIP but its good fun for what it is..

Regarding how responsive the controls are, I have both a FSSB R3 force sensing stick and a standard Warthog. Flying it with the FSSB feels very realistic with stock settings and doesn't feel unresponsive. And my brother who has flown the F-16 a fair amount flew it and found that it felt very convincing. However when you fly with a standard "wobbly" stick like a Warthog it definitely feels weird around the centre of the stick movement. I added some negative curve (opposite way from normal) for the pitch and roll axis and that helped liven things up with the warthog and made it feel a lot better.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Yes important things are still missing and will be missing for a certain time. They announced that they will focus on hornet and so viper development will slow down

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

In answer to your question, F-16 has had very few feature additions since it was released. No new weapons. Flight model definitely needs tweaking. And with the team pushing hard on the Hornet I think it’s safe to say Viper will progress very slowly this year.

That said, if you focus on what it can do (air to air) and not what it can’t, it’s a fun aircraft.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

The FM is my biggest concern atm.

The lack of G-onset rate (how quickly the aircraft can build up pitch rate), and the max available load factor (or ITR) can be reached far too late (@ M 0.76 instead of 0.66 at SL according to official performance graphs)

In addition to this there's an odd rocking if you quickly pull command max pitch above 450 kts, with pitch rate starting high, then suddenly slows down to a crawl at ~6 G, and then increasing again. It's as if the FLCS is too aggressively trying to prevent an overshoot of the G-limit. (should be able to hit 9.3 G in the horizontal, but ingame you're mostly limited to 8.8 G and at very high speed 9.0)

Been bug reporting these issues for a while now, but no change yet.

When these things get addressed I'll get back to flying the F-16.

Edited by Hummingbird
  • Like 1

(to OP) Have you bought it? If you havent then try it yourself in this "free for all" periode. After that you can decide to buy it or not based on your expectation.

For me the Viper is fun and great module to fly. No regret purchasing it, not even a bit. Yeah you can call me a fanboy, I honestly kinda proud of it lol.

Cheers.

Edit : just read it again the OP post. He's indeed tried it. Then I suggest try it for more times then decide carefully.

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I'm not a serious flight simmer or a real pilot so I can't really comment on the flight model, I like how it handles though, it's fun and highly maneuverable.

What I don't like is the lack of systems/weapons currently. I'll be a lot happier once it's got mavericks, harms, jdams etc. Some more diverse skins to help distinguish who is who on servers would be nice.

Otherwise I'm happy to have it and think long term it'll be worth the 70 dollars or whatever I paid for it.

• 1 year later...

Hello,
im lurking this subforum for a while and have already tested the f-16C last decembre during the free trial. Back then i was put off by the poor state of development the module was in.

From my lurking here, i get the feeling that the F-16 slowly gets to a state where i could be happy with her: HSI cursor, FCR bullseye etc. coming soon hopefully...

I wanted to ask what other "obvious" features are missing, meaning features which absence is obvious even to a new player (not new to flight sim / dcs, but new to the viper). Back in decembre there was a complete mfd page named "placeholder" for example if i remember correctly. Also the advisory/caution system was barebone or non-existent even. Is this improved now?

Are there other omissions that you notice without having learned about them prior? Back in decembre these were things like missing bullseye, or the barebone HSI. It imemdiately made you think that this cannot be, how it would be in the real plane.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

The obvious thing is ofc air to ground radar but in recent Wag's video we can see it already implemented in internal build and we may have it soon (I personally not eager to have it as it showed in Hornet AG radar its hardly usefull and I've been told RL pilot only use it to track thunderstorm to avoid it) . The other thing that quite obvious is the DED some of its function still missing.

• Thanks 1

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

2 minutes ago, Oceandar said:

showed in Hornet AG radar its

The A2G radar in the DCS Hornet is a vital primary sensor for a vast array of missions. Now, based on pilot input that isn't how it works in real life but the in game radar is incredibly useful, especially the GMT and the SEA modes. The mapping modes have some core limitations and bugs at the moment but if it gets fixed, at the current level of fidelity it will be vital in a lot of situations.

As for the Viper, the biggest things are the HSD cursor, DTOS mode, fully finished HMD, markpoints, proper bullseye support and the CRUS page. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WobblyFlops said:

The A2G radar in the DCS Hornet is a vital primary sensor for a vast array of missions. Now, based on pilot input that isn't how it works in real life but the in game radar is incredibly useful, especially the GMT and the SEA modes. The mapping modes have some core limitations and bugs at the moment but if it gets fixed, at the current level of fidelity it will be vital in a lot of situations.

As for the Viper, the biggest things are the HSD cursor, DTOS mode, fully finished HMD, markpoints, proper bullseye support and the CRUS page. 

+1

and also HTS is another conspicuously missing one, but it's been teased in a couple of recent screenshots.

• Thanks 1

thanks for the replies so far.

so is the caution/advisory system already implemented (sorry, don't know the official designation) and what about that obvious "placeholder" (sorry, have forgotten what is was supposed to be doing, but it just said "placeholder") mfd screen that was there in decembre?

notice to myself: need to check when the next sale will be...

• Thanks 1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
=============================
Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz, 32Gb RAM// Radeon RX Vega // SSD only // Saitek X65F Throttle / TM Warthog FCS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / Physical Cockpit // TrackIR or VR (HP R-G2)// Win10Pro 64bit //

4 hours ago, WobblyFlops said:

Now, based on pilot input that isn't how it works in real life but the in game radar is incredibly useful, especially the GMT and the SEA modes. The mapping modes have some core limitations and bugs at the moment but if it gets fixed, at the current level of fidelity it will be vital in a lot of situations.

The AG radar in DCS its useful because GMT its broken at a point its a cheat. Every single contact its a moving military unit.

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

I've been away from DCS for a few months until recently.

Does anyone know if, are the AIM-9 modes / functions (i.e. Cage / Uncage ) completed already ?

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

40 minutes ago, Top Jockey said:

Hello everyone,

I've been away from DCS for a few months until recently.

Does anyone know if, are the AIM-9 modes / functions (i.e. Cage / Uncage ) completed already ?

AFAIC, AIM-9 modes / functions are still incomplete. I hope those are WIP.

2 hours ago, falconbr said:

AFAIC, AIM-9 modes / functions are still incomplete. I hope those are WIP.

Thank you falconbr, I guess one must wait...

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

• Wags locked this topic