Hornet Roadmap Discussion

Wags

...So I guess we can also assume Kate was wrong again stating these system items would be complete in April too:

Completion of the Litening Targeting Pod

AG radar: Real Beam Ground Map (MAP)

The update from Wags is appreciated but ED really needs to do better getting stuff actually completing the products they advertise. This delay after delay has gotten old.

These are 2 of the first 4 items Wags states to be in the next update. So what do you mean to assume Kate was wrong?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A roadmap is appreciated for sure, However for many I think the concern that Hornet won't be feature complete this year isn't a surprise. Anyone with half a brain who's been following development could see that.

What's VERY concerning is ED's need to slap a feature complete label on it this year. Claiming victory they can then move on other products (seemingly Viper being one of them), and leave the dev team on the Hornet even smaller than it is now.

What kind of priority will Hornet get when 'out of EA'?

The concern is, those 27 items will get very little attention in 2021. The goal posts will get pushed back again. Although we don't need to assume it now. It's just been admitted.

No mention of TGT DATA page and MIDS Voice in your list.

Then anything, to include words, can and will change at the drop of a hat to suit my needs. Shall we argue over what the definition of is, is?

What they do takes time, unfortunately. That’s the reality of the level of immersion we have in DCS. We can argue all day, but it will not make the hornet get done any quicker. That’s firmly in EDs hands. Whether or not they tell us what’s left or not, or if they provide newsletters like this. Whatever definitions you want to use, The work that remains is the work that remains. That’s the hard truth.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Hey Wags,

Hope you're doing well.

What is with the Anti Ship Weapons like MK-40 and MK-63 what mentioned in your Post below?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3285514

And do you have any Plans about the A/G Radar SAR Mode?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=202523

Gesendet von meinem SM-G975F mit Tapatalk

What they do takes time, unfortunately. That’s the reality of the level of immersion we have in DCS. We can argue all day, but it will not make the hornet get done any quicker. That’s firmly in EDs hands. Whether or not they tell us what’s left or not, or if they provide newsletters like this. Whatever definitions you want to use, The work that remains is the work that remains. That’s the hard truth.

Again my dude, it didn't have anything to do with the product not being (legitimately) complete by the end of 2020 or them having to shift the completion date to sometime in 2021 (probably beyond). I think I'm about at my end with this circling discussion.

Edited by Thump

Wags,

I loved your updated roadmap. Very insightful and makes me think the remaining big items have not been forgotten. From my perspective, the ATFLIR, Aircraft Setup Options (mission data card entry for WPTS/SEQUENCES/COMMS/Expendables), and AZ/EL are the most critical missing items to be able to operate the aircraft tactically/ realistically. I would prefer these over additional more obscure weapons personally. Keep up the great work and I do not mind waiting for it, but please do not give up on the ATFLIR!

Thanks for the transparency. Given how incredibly complex and expensive modeling such an aircraft is, I don’t mind the delay. Happy to see the major additions happening this year. Would just agree that there needs to be more focus on ATFLIR.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Literally, unplayable!" ;)

Thanks for the update Wags, unfortunate that there was slippage (something which from personal experience, sometimes despite your best efforts just happens in software development)

I'm sure the wait will be worth it for this (already) awesome bird.

Many thanks and all the best to you and the team.

Hi ED,

I know it was probably discussed to death internally, but can you please reconsider focusing on ATFLIR. It's the main TGP the Hornet uses, and most of us would like to operate from the boat with a reasonably realistic loadout. Not to mention it was listed on the product page since it was released.

The second thing I would like to know is if you have a plan to release those missing items in 2021, or is it just an estimation. You stated finishing the hornet will slow the viper development. How can we be sure you won't slow the hornet development so much during 2021 that you won't meet your goals?

Some of the features listed to be added next year are very important.

Agreed that they should consider prioritizing ATFLIR. Taking a long time is ok if necessary.. but it is critical.

Again my dude, it didn't have anything to do with the product being (legitimately) complete by the end of 2020 or them having to shift the completion date to sometime in 2021 (probably beyond). I think I'm about at my end with this circling discussion.

Yeah I guess I just care less about what they say and more about what they do. History tells me their words when it comes to dates and roadmaps need to be taken with a pound of salt.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

I can understand some less used weapons or features to be pushed to 2021 like the Firebomb and Decoy, but IMHO these should be part of the EA release:

ATFLIR, INS/GPS simulation, complete HOTAS functions, MUMI page, Jamming Targets on Radar, Flight member TGT on SA page.

AC Setup Data Card is super important too, but I understand that it needs a core change to really shine, like editing waypoints on the briefing or aircraft rearm screens in multiplayer.

Stay safe!

My concern is what you mean by early access complete? Does that mean that developers will now focus on other projects (F-16) and slowly work on the remaining items? Although I prefer the F-16, I would strongly suggest you focus ALL your attention on the F-18 and finish it, including all the items for 2021. Just focus and finish it. As to priorities you can easily create a poll and let the community vote on it. But again, just focus and finish the Hornet and THEN say its out of early access. THEN focus and finish the F-16, again giving the community a poll for priorities. As for features I would say to finish all the avionics (HOTAS, MIDS/Datalink, A/G Radar, etc) and then finish weapon systems.

Intel i7 9700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E, Zotac GTX 2080 TI AMP, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, Corsair H60 liquid cooler, EVGA 850W PS, Cooler Master: Master Case H500, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD | Virpil CM2 Throttle, F-16: Thrustmaster F-16/A-10 Stick, F-18: Thrustmaster F-18 Stick | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | G2 Reverb, J-PEIN Desk mount Throttle, VIRPIL VP-L mount Stick, Cougar MFDs, Generic Custom Built Front Panel, Left Panel and Right Panel, 32 Button Steam Deck.

From what I understand a lot of the work for ground mapping radar should easily transfer to the F-16 and I'd imagine there'd be some parallel feature release for it. And the work going into rewriting the terrain to work with physically simulated radar is likely to include the information needed to improve the IR model, which was the goal before they wanted to work on ATFLIR. (Once you have someone touching every asset you might as well make all the changes you have planned.)

As for voting on features, I'd agree for the features that can stand alone in the work that's needed to be done. Tt's not uncommon for one feature to depend on the work that goes into a different feature (like the GM radar and ATFLIR depending on updating assets) so I'd imagine the list you'd be able to vote on, versus those features that depend on the completeness of other features, would probably not be all that exciting.

Personally, I'd rather see the features that can improve other modules completed first, as opposed to those that only affect a single module.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

AG radar will be added with the next update ? I didn't know it was so close.

One of its many functions will be in the beta, the rest seem as of they're far from introduction

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Awesome, I'm looking forward to the AG radar modes, and being able to adjust the countermeasures programs while on the ground. Plus the offset waypoints; that will be handy when working with a JTAC.

Sounds good!

You asked for my opinion, so here it is:

Disapointed, very disapointed. Not about the time the F-18 is taking in early access, but with "out of early access" now means missing things. It should either be out of early access or missing things but not not both. I understand the F18 "have" to be out of early access in 2020, but simply calling it so is not enough.

I wish ED success, but as a customer I am losing faith.

There's doom and gloom, and things go boom..

in wags' laaaaab!

ahem.

yeah. well. To me the list looks fine. I would love to be able to point the TPOD towards air targets, have a look-see. Is that on the list somewhere? Too bad about the firebombs, but eh.

I'm right chuffed at seeing real progress on the A/G radar front. Jolly good job there, whoever's working that! It's going to open up a range of interesting machines if that's available...

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

:thumbup:So much negativity. DCS is a work-in-progress as a system. I remember things like “JetFighter 2000”. Complete crap. That software company took the money and ran. The fact that DSC evolves and the company still supports modules is awesome. Much rather have a product crafted by enthusiasts than another disappointing game. Good things come to those who wait. Be patient.

i5-10600KF, 16Gb DDR4, GTX1660 Super, HP Reverb G2, TM Cougar, TM Warthog