Hornet Roadmap Discussion

Wags

The survey is essentially useless. ‘Ground Radar’....how I hate that phrase....will win. Along with ATFLIR.

Most people have little idea what most of those items are used for. The utility of El/Az page and Seq 1 2 3, PP etc will be underestimated. A description of each is needed.

Other items have dependencies on others, eg mumi on mission card. Others are so basic, IN LAR, select AA and AG on ground etc, they should not be completing with ATFLIR.

Even the original plan was more logical.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this survey on Google? You'd need an account for Google Services which I don't have and certainly don't want (something to do with privacy. I've spent my internetlife of 25yrs carefully avoiding any and all services who abuse my privacy, Google is one of them. Facebook is another. And there are lots more who don't respect privacy. Anonymity through sign-in isn't the only thing to consider here).

How can I give my answers to this survey? Or did I miss something?

Edited by dawgie79

First, thanks ED for providing this module. I have had months of enjoyment flying!

My preference would be to get some of the main components fixed or finished first.

1. Fix the VR issues such as one eye blinking, one eye projection of clouds / iights, etc.

2. Fix many of the quality of life bugs - ground guns sometimes shooting high; entering laser codes changes other UFC items like DL code or bomb quantity; Lots of others

3. I'd like to also see all of the hotas functions added to make controlling the jet less about touching OSB buttons during flight

4. Then adding new features

I don't really care if you call it EA or not, I just want to see some of the base stuff actually getting fixed first so we can continue to enjoy what is in game already. Id also be willing to forgo any further plane updates if we could see the graphics engine revamped to be more efficient and perform better in VR.

Just my $.02 - that and 6 bucks *might* get you a good cup of coffee.

Thanks again for all you are doing!

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

So simple even a caveman can do it

Hummm Survey :doh:

One does not need a survey because the situation is so simple.

1) Hornet main priority should be completing this list before removing early access status.

2) If ED wants to redefine what early access means, fine, but do it for the module(s) that are sold after the new definition has been listed on the product's purchase page.

3) Module(s) that fell under the current definition when purchased need to be honored until feature complete.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

P.S. If you really enforce the "Note that this is all very much subject to change for our mid-2000s F/A-18C USN Hornet." and neuter the listed items here and / or drag your feet on the "Hornet Improvements past 31Dec2021, you will lose massive consumer confidence.

Edited by MonnieRock

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

One constructive addition. Aircraft and mission cards should be a priority as both a QOL change, and one that could impact many planes. It was teased a year ago and then went silent. It should have been released sooner and doing it this year would also benefit the Viper.

Sorry for the silly question, but What do you mean by aircraft and weapons cards?? What would this do? Thanks.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

• ED Team
Hummm Survey :doh:

One does not need a survey because the situation is so simple.

1) Hornet main priority should be completing this list before removing early access status.

2) If ED wants to redefine what early access means, fine, but do it for the module(s) that are sold after the new definition has been listed on the product's purchase page.

3) Module(s) that fell under the current definition when purchased need to be honored until feature complete.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

P.S. If you really enforce the "Note that this is all very much subject to change for our mid-2000s F/A-18C USN Hornet." and neuter the listed items here and / or drag your feet on the "Hornet Improvements past 31Dec2021, you will lose massive consumer confidence.

The purpose of the poll is not to determine what to fix, but rather the priority in which they are fixed, as mentioned client feedback is important for us, but not the only factor.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
Why is this survey on Google? You'd need an account for Google Services which I don't have and certainly don't want (something to do with privacy. I've spent my internetlife of 25yrs carefully avoiding any and all services who abuse my privacy, Google is one of them. Facebook is another. And there are lots more who don't respect privacy. Anonymity through sign-in isn't the only thing to consider here).

How can I give my answers to this survey? Or did I miss something?

Hi

We would have preferred to use the forum software to conduct the poll, but it was not possible given the larger number of items.

Thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sorry for the silly question, but What do you mean by aircraft and weapons cards?? What would this do? Thanks.

He means THIS it was teased to us in February of last year and there has been radio silence on the topic since.

The JF-17 has a very similar system currently.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

It will give you a basic mission planning capability. Probably in the options menu/briefing before stepping to your jet.

You would be able to pre-program your countermeasures programs and adjust it to the threat you are likely to meet, saving you the hazzle og punching everything in the EW page when airborne.

You would be able to set your frequencies and pre-program them to channels.

You would be able to set laser codes on your weapons before flying, and programs for release of weapons, again saving you time on startup and punching in the cockpit.

I'd imagine the goal is to include everything that is loaded to a DTC in mission planning/ by a mission planner in real-life before stepping to the jet.

This is such an amazing feature that people will not be able to live without once they try it, but I don't think people know it even exists and should be in the sim...

Agreed that they should consider prioritizing ATFLIR. Taking a long time is ok if necessary.. but it is critical.

I'm not understanding why there is so much angst for the ATFLIR. My understanding from some of my Hornet buds back in the day was that it was a POS compared to the Lightening Pod.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

The absence of a hud pointing indication is killing me , at least . Maybe ATFIR will have it ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Like I said, I'm not sure if it was on the store description. But every time someone asked what was or would be included with the Hornet, that post was linked. IIRC by ED staff as well. Having that online all the time just to say that wasn't promised or whatever now doesn't make the whole thing look better.

100% agreed this was first posted in November 2017 and last updated in December 2018. If this shouldn't be taken as gospel I'm not sure what should be at this point...

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

And that is a problem. But if you are ok with this as a consumer, then don't be surprised when you buy something from them in the future based on their advertisement and not have it delivered. We have seen how bugs for 5+ years have yet to be resolved, the "sustainment" would effectively be indefinite as they shift their focus to the Viper, Hind, *new mindblowing aircraft yet to be announced*, super carrier, WW2 aircraft, etc.

I’m not surprised. That’s the thing Ive come to expect that based on EDs reputation and passed projects. I bought the hornet KNOWING it would take years to complete just like the A-10C, and BS2, in fact this project dwarfs the other modern aircraft in DCS. Yet those original projects are still be “completed and sustained” so how much more so for the hornet?

Calling it’s status something else is not going to change that. Nor are future projects they undertake going to be any shorter or longer based on the way the use advertisement or marketing terms..

It is what it is. In this case the most complex and ambitious attempt at a study sim for the hornet ever.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

You would be able to set your frequencies and pre-program them to channels.

This is so silly.

This ability exists today, and nobody apparently knows how to use it.

zxtaJcV.png

Currently this lacks the ability to set a variety of other settings such as laser codes, CM profiles, PP/PB points, ATTCK RADAR range/bar/distance presets.... everything else. But this could all be added.

The other major feature is that this screen isn't available for Multiplayer. If it was this would probably solve 99% of the mission planning problems users face.

I'm not understanding why there is so much angst for the ATFLIR. My understanding from some of my Hornet buds back in the day was that it was a POS compared to the Lightening Pod.

Because the Lightening is not used for Navy F/A-18s.. ATFLIR is a must.

I'm more than happy putting the ATFLIR on the back burner given the Lightening completion. Hopefully the AG Radar, HARM and Harpoon make the top of the list.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

• ED Team

Dear all,

Thank you for all the insightful and helpful comments received over the past few days pertaining to F/A-18 and Early Access. Please allow me to address the most common questions and concerns we have identified.

We believe in the Early Access business model and the value that Community involvement brings at an early stage:

1. It gets the product into quality user hands swiftly which focuses the dev team. Despite the occasional ‘pitchforks and burning ceremonies’ we sometimes witness, the value of reading the ‘good, the bad and the ugly’ is immense. This generates buzz internally and externally which is good for moral and general awareness.
  2. It generates funding which we couldn’t raise in existing capital markets for such a relatively small and rather niche genre.
  3. It makes the product into a ‘Community Venture’ for all those involved, users, devs and investors alike.
  4. It generates Community opportunities for those who wish to create large Sub Communities, YT and FB Channels and Forums (even Reddit is ultimately a commercial venture).

Complex products such as Hornet and Viper often go through rough patches. This is mainly due to limited resource availability, productivity variability and the unknown unknowns we encounter along the way. Despite the experience we have accumulated in DCS after approximately 5 million man-hours invested, 3.3 million lines of C++ code and 1.4 million lines of LUA currently in the build (without empty lines), it is not uncommon that devs and their managers overestimate productivity expectations to a certain degree. As quality is the key driver to delivering acceptable update satisfaction, we often find ourselves between a rock and a hard place, especially as we are compelled to deliver to an ever content-hungry clientele and to a growing customer base which today is in excess of 300,000 active monthly users and 55,000 daily users. Despite the obvious complexity of aircraft such as the Viper and Hornet, we have delivered in excess of 40,000 and 85,000 units respectively to-date and this is in no small way thanks to the community’s passion, involvement and willingness to try out such products early and to actively participate in the overall development story. (Note: a total of 2 million products were shipped in the previous 15 years and approx. 400,000 in 2019.)

May I also draw your attention to the less visible side of Early Access and that is user-generated content. Without the thousands and thousands of community created missions, addons, skins and in particular the massive number of videos available online and the tens of millions of views generated during this ongoing Early Access phase, there is simply no way that we would have been able to build the level of awareness and excitement which we have witnessed to-date. This aspect is an important factor in the growth and sustainability of the hardcore simulator genre. Consider this carefully, you are the ones participating with us in the growth of our hobby and this truly is the enabling factor in our common destiny.

But let’s take a small step back and ensure we all agree on the meaning of Early Access. Despite a small number of customers believing that it means ‘feature complete’, the term seems to be self-evident. In fact, it is not defined by us but to us from our friends at Steam. It is one that we will continue to adhere to for the sake of clarity and the avoidance of doubt:

“Steam Early Access enables you to sell your game on Steam while it is still being developed and provide context to customers that a product should be considered "unfinished". Early Access is a place for games that are in a playable alpha or beta state, are worth the current value of the playable build, and that you plan to continue to develop for release.”

This definition is quite clear and valuable. Delivering a product with the qualifier “Early Access” helps set the context for prospective customers as it provides them with information about the initial state of completeness in addition to describing our aspirations and objectives. The term Early Access ensures that customers fully understand and recognize that they are getting involved with a ‘work in progress’.

We believe that by the end of this year, the Hornet will no longer be in an early stage of development and hence we will qualify it as ‘Out of Early Access’. This does not mean that we will stop working on it by any means. It is a definition to assist the prospective Buyer in understanding the status of the product by qualifying its late development status. It is not destined as a message to existing users attempting to shy away from any further investment.

However, in the light of the recent concerns voiced by certain members of our Community and in order to respect your wishes, we have released a survey inviting you to actively participate in ranking the 40 plus features we believe are key to the future roadmap of the Hornet. The results of this poll will form an important decision-making factor for our resource allocation from here on and will be the reporting benchmark that we will set our dates to.

A few additional items that we feel might be of interest to you:

• We have decided to focus more of our energies on the Hornet until the end of 2020 and as such the Viper will need to be on a slower burn, but development will by no means be suspended. We hired a new engineer to work on new weapons such as Maverick, JDAM/JSOW, and HARM, and they will continue full steam ahead in addition to system capabilities such as steerpoint creation (not just modification) and updates to the targeting pod such as Cursor Zero (CZ).

• HOTAS commands are certainly an item we will continue to work on but as I am sure most of you understand, these are highly dependent on the actual availability of a system modes, sensors and weapons. Therefore, we will address this feature as part of the specific weapon, sensor, and avionics task, rather than as a single HOTAS catch-all feature.

• While we certainly understand the desire for the ATFLIR, we decided to place it in the Out of Early Access list as the Listening TGP will provide virtually all the same functionality. We first wish to prioritize unique Hornet features that are not in place anywhere in the program. However, we do look forward to reviewing the upcoming poll on this matter and will discuss the findings openly.

• Following an in-depth review of all Hornet stores, it was judged that several items such as sea mines and Shrike were of limited value in the simulation. Whilst it might be still of interest to the highest purists in the Community, we would like to consider including these at some later point to be agreed.

Thank you again for all your support and continued feedback. We are grateful for your passion and commitment; without you where would we be?

Fly safe,

Matt

The delay is disappointing news to say the least, but fully understandable with the current situation and ED's reputation of delivering quality. However, the hornet will be in early access whether or not ED continue to acknowledge it with it's EA title. Personally, ED can and will continue to have my support, as long as ED leaves the early access title and all the features are hashed out in whatever order they decide. But, selling me with early access on something like this:

Multiplayer coop mode for crew members of the same helicopter under development for a later update. [10-9-12]

and not delivering for 8 years and counting is starting to bother me. I have been tempted and sitting at the checkout page for the super carrier countless times, but this whole idea is why I have not pulled the trigger yet. I can no longer support paying for features that are all of a sudden

features that we plan to work on in 2021 to sustain the Hornet after Early Access

Edit:

WAGS.... Of course you had to post while I was typing this out....

Thank you for your explanation, and although my personal opinion remains almost the same, I really hope you guys pull it off. I enjoy the work you guys are doing and I have no complaints about the effort and quality of your work. I also know it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of decision. This was just my 2 cents, and cents aren't even in circulation around here anymore.....

Edited by pbishop

I think we have to be honest...we know that the hornet ina very complex beast and with it ED is developing a lot of ground technologies to support its systems (the main example is the ag radar).

I don’t think that we need to focus on terms...the main think is that out of early access or not they will finish it. We can be sure of that. Now we can talk (and vote since they liked our proposal to have a poll) about which feature comes before or later but that’s all.

I mean they did from scratch a new cockpit for a-10c and ka-50 for free ten years after the initial release. I think they accept and welcome honest criticism, but when complaining se need to consider everything that is on the table. And the main thing I appreciate as a customer and a DCS lover is their open communication. I am here since lockon times and that was not always the case

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I tried to do the survey, but just wanted to give everything a 1. I just gave up with it. Why not have a survey where people are forced to rank the items in order of preference?

So, I'll just add my general preference that basics should come first (i.e. FM and stuff in the NATOPS). Weapons second.

The F-18 is extremely complex, and I'm very impressed with what has been achieved already. Although it would be great to get everything done yesterday, I have no problem with the current pace. Much more important that all these features are still planned for delivery.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Wags - thank you for providing the quote from Steam. However it appears that you are misreading it as *plain English* doesn't support your interpretation.

In fact, it is not defined by us but to us from our friends at Steam. It is one that we will continue to adhere to for the sake of clarity and the avoidance of doubt:

“Steam Early Access enables you to sell your game on Steam while it is still being developed and provide context to customers that a product should be considered "unfinished". Early Access is a place for games that are in a playable alpha or beta state, are worth the current value of the playable build, and that you plan to continue to develop for release.

Until all features are deployed on the Hornet - it is 'unfinished' - ergo. Early Access. Steam mentioning 'Release' here is the endpoint, not a step in the path to completion.

We believe that by the end of this year, the Hornet will no longer be in an early stage of development and hence we will qualify it as ‘Out of Early Access’.

- Nowhere in the Steam definition was ' in an early stage of development' mentioned. That is something that ED have decided to add into the definition as my bold emphasis of the 'we'. Did you not just say that you will adhere to the Steam definition?!

This does not mean that we will stop working on it by any means. [

You say that now - but we have precious little recourse if you do put the Hornet so far on the backburner that to all intents and purposes you've stopped.

However, in the light of the recent concerns voiced by certain members of our Community and in order to respect your wishes, we have released a survey inviting you to actively participate in ranking the 40 plus features we believe are key to the future roadmap of the Hornet.
. That is the very least that you should do. Thanks.

•  
  • Following an in-depth review of all Hornet stores, it was judged that several items such as sea mines and Shrike were of limited value in the simulation. Whilst it might be still of interest to the highest purists in the Community, we would like to consider including these at some later point to be agreed.

So now you are saying three phases. Complete your definition of EA in 2020. Then work on other things (hopefully) in 2021. And then if you get round to it, the other things you sold us the product as having in 2022?! That's not acceptable.

The other major feature is that this screen isn't available for Multiplayer. If it was this would probably solve 99% of the mission planning problems users face.

A real DTC (this example for the A-10C) consists of the following. What you suggest wouldn’t solve 99% of the issues.

The MDTC provides the ability to input mission data into the CICU, EGI, CDU and LASTE equipment of the aircraft. This data includes:

-Waypoints

-Flight plans

-GPS Embedded Module (GEM) Operational Flight Program (OFP)

-EGI OFP

-Symbol Generator

-Voice Message Unit files

-GPS almanac

-GPS Cryptographic Key (JDAM)

-CDU initialization file

-ARC-210 configuration data

-TAD display settings

-TAD map overlays

-HMCS Profiles

-Threat data

-IFF OFP

-LASTE pilot preferences

--Weapons inventory and profiles data

--Launch region coefficients

-DataLink (SADL/VMF) configuration data and message upload

-Targeting Pod configuration data

-Data and Settings Upload

-TAD profiles

-CICU Data Pump definitions

-Digital Terrain System Application Software (DTSAS provides predictive ground collision adoidance system warnings, obstacle warning cues , and target ranging info on the HUD)

Very good post.

I haven't seen it that way, but reading the last part again, it really sounds like that. But let's be honest : The sea mines really aren't that important in the sim right now. Probably would even require changes to the maps for accurate depth etc if you want to simulate them properly. There are other, less complicated projects that would add more to the Hornet capabilities and QOL.

Shrike would mostly be usefull for historical accuracy. So I can kinda understand why it isn't top priority, even though your point is still legit.

Agreed. What I am concerned about is given the re-calibration - what is to stop ED 'recalibrating' yet again and moving more to that area. Remember - Wags gave two examples, not an exhaustive list. I think we deserve at least that and a backstop.

Dear all,

Thank you for all the insightful and helpful comments received over the past few days pertaining to F/A-18 and Early Access. Please allow me to address the most common questions and concerns we have identified.

We believe in the Early Access business model and the value that Community involvement brings at an early stage:

1. It gets the product into quality user hands swiftly which focuses the dev team. Despite the occasional ‘pitchforks and burning ceremonies’ we sometimes witness, the value of reading the ‘good, the bad and the ugly’ is immense. This generates buzz internally and externally which is good for moral and general awareness.
  2. It generates funding which we couldn’t raise in existing capital markets for such a relatively small and rather niche genre.
  3. It makes the product into a ‘Community Venture’ for all those involved, users, devs and investors alike.
  4. It generates Community opportunities for those who wish to create large Sub Communities, YT and FB Channels and Forums (even Reddit is ultimately a commercial venture).

Complex products such as Hornet and Viper often go through rough patches. This is mainly due to limited resource availability, productivity variability and the unknown unknowns we encounter along the way. Despite the experience we have accumulated in DCS after approximately 5 million man-hours invested, 3.3 million lines of C++ code and 1.4 million lines of LUA currently in the build (without empty lines), it is not uncommon that devs and their managers overestimate productivity expectations to a certain degree. As quality is the key driver to delivering acceptable update satisfaction, we often find ourselves between a rock and a hard place, especially as we are compelled to deliver to an ever content-hungry clientele and to a growing customer base which today is in excess of 300,000 active monthly users and 55,000 daily users. Despite the obvious complexity of aircraft such as the Viper and Hornet, we have delivered in excess of 40,000 and 85,000 units respectively to-date and this is in no small way thanks to the community’s passion, involvement and willingness to try out such products early and to actively participate in the overall development story. (Note: a total of 2 million products were shipped in the previous 15 years and approx. 400,000 in 2019.)

May I also draw your attention to the less visible side of Early Access and that is user-generated content. Without the thousands and thousands of community created missions, addons, skins and in particular the massive number of videos available online and the tens of millions of views generated during this ongoing Early Access phase, there is simply no way that we would have been able to build the level of awareness and excitement which we have witnessed to-date. This aspect is an important factor in the growth and sustainability of the hardcore simulator genre. Consider this carefully, you are the ones participating with us in the growth of our hobby and this truly is the enabling factor in our common destiny.

But let’s take a small step back and ensure we all agree on the meaning of Early Access. Despite a small number of customers believing that it means ‘feature complete’, the term seems to be self-evident. In fact, it is not defined by us but to us from our friends at Steam. It is one that we will continue to adhere to for the sake of clarity and the avoidance of doubt:

“Steam Early Access enables you to sell your game on Steam while it is still being developed and provide context to customers that a product should be considered "unfinished". Early Access is a place for games that are in a playable alpha or beta state, are worth the current value of the playable build, and that you plan to continue to develop for release.”

This definition is quite clear and valuable. Delivering a product with the qualifier “Early Access” helps set the context for prospective customers as it provides them with information about the initial state of completeness in addition to describing our aspirations and objectives. The term Early Access ensures that customers fully understand and recognize that they are getting involved with a ‘work in progress’.

We believe that by the end of this year, the Hornet will no longer be in an early stage of development and hence we will qualify it as ‘Out of Early Access’. This does not mean that we will stop working on it by any means. It is a definition to assist the prospective Buyer in understanding the status of the product by qualifying its late development status. It is not destined as a message to existing users attempting to shy away from any further investment.

However, in the light of the recent concerns voiced by certain members of our Community and in order to respect your wishes, we have released a survey inviting you to actively participate in ranking the 40 plus features we believe are key to the future roadmap of the Hornet. The results of this poll will form an important decision-making factor for our resource allocation from here on and will be the reporting benchmark that we will set our dates to.

• We have decided to focus more of our energies on the Hornet until the end of 2020 and as such the Viper will need to be on a slower burn, but development will by no means be suspended. We hired a new engineer to work on new weapons such as Maverick, JDAM/JSOW, and HARM, and they will continue full steam ahead in addition to system capabilities such as steerpoint creation (not just modification) and updates to the targeting pod such as Cursor Zero (CZ).

• HOTAS commands are certainly an item we will continue to work on but as I am sure most of you understand, these are highly dependent on the actual availability of a system modes, sensors and weapons. Therefore, we will address this feature as part of the specific weapon, sensor, and avionics task, rather than as a single HOTAS catch-all feature.

• While we certainly understand the desire for the ATFLIR, we decided to place it in the Out of Early Access list as the Listening TGP will provide virtually all the same functionality. We first wish to prioritize unique Hornet features that are not in place anywhere in the program. However, we do look forward to reviewing the upcoming poll on this matter and will discuss the findings openly.

Thank you again for all your support and continued feedback. We are grateful for your passion and commitment; without you where would we be?

Fly safe,

Matt

Thanks Wags. All clear to me and I appreciate your candid answers. I can only speak for myself in saying you guys are doing an amazing job and the product speaks for itself. I think people are being too hard on ED and don't realize not only the enormous complexity of this undertaking, but it also ironically simulates almost perfectly the actual development cycle of the real aircraft as bugs are worked out and new features added. Except ED's turn around time is often days/weeks or months rather than the years or multi-years it takes to make a change or add a capability to the real aircraft.

Furthermore Wags, I appreciate your team's dedication to continue development work during this time of true global crisis. It would not have surprised me if you guys had shut down altogether like most of the rest of the world until this pandemic was in the more manageable stages. That you guys have carried on speaks volumes about your dedication and passion for getting the product right. I can only chuckle and facepalm when I read the amount of whining and crying on this thread given the circumstances going on out in the real world right now.

So thanks again and keep up the great work. Stay safe and hug your loved ones.

I've boldended and highlighted all items from this list that I feel are important to users of DCS (A-10C/FA-18C or otherwise).

A real DTC (this example for the A-10C) consists of the following. What you suggest wouldn’t solve 99% of the issues.

The MDTC provides the ability to input mission data into the CICU, EGI, CDU and LASTE equipment of the aircraft. This data includes:

-
Waypoints

-
Flight plans

-GPS Embedded Module (GEM) Operational Flight Program (OFP)

-EGI OFP

-Symbol Generator

-Voice Message Unit files

-GPS almanac

-GPS Cryptographic Key (JDAM)

-CDU initialization file

-
ARC-210 configuration data

-
TAD display settings

-
TAD map overlays

-
HMCS Profiles

-
Threat data

-IFF OFP

-
LASTE pilot preferences

--
Weapons inventory and profiles data

--
Launch region coefficients

-DataLink (SADL/VMF) configuration data and message upload

-
Targeting Pod configuration data

-Data and Settings Upload

-
T
AD profiles

-CICU Data Pump definitions

-Digital Terrain System Application Software (DTSAS provides predictive ground collision adoidance system warnings, obstacle warning cues , and target ranging info on the HUD)

All of these could be made options available in tabs, the bezel, or on the map of the Mission Planner. We have an interface ready and waiting to support the additional features.

Your list doesn't even include CM profiles, programs for S/A or AUTO release modes etc...

From your list I've narrowed it down to 12 values which matter. 5 of which are already partially supported by the default Mission Planner interface.