My undesignate button stopped working

So I've had zero issues with the WH HOTAS up until just the last couple of days. I am using the default mapping with both the WH stick and throttle and recently had to manually remap the entire throttle settings. All is well but now the undesignate button on the stick for A/A targets is not working, even though it does work correctly on the ground for NWS. I have A/A targets locked and hitting the NWS/Undesignate button does nothing.

How can I remap that one feature since it's showing as being correctly mapped in the DCS controls page.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I remember I had this "bug" once some time ago, being unable to undesignate an aircraft STT lock with WH's pinky button.

I don't think I did anything special, and since it never occured again.

Maybe it's related to a specific circumpstance ?

Maybe it's some kind of corruption that can be solved by a DCS repair procedure ?

Like you the button was functionnal and correctly mapped in control settings.

It's specifically not working to undesignate / drop lock on a STT contact. For instance, I had the tanker locked up to rejoin and then as I approached pre-contact position, I wanted to drop the lock. The only way I could clear the lock was to turn the radar to STBY with the console knob. AS I said, the NWS steering button on the ground works fine, so I know the physical button is not broken.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

It's specifically not working to undesignate / drop lock on a STT contact. For instance, I had the tanker locked up to rejoin and then as I approached pre-contact position, I wanted to drop the lock. The only way I could clear the lock was to turn the radar to STBY with the console knob. AS I said, the NWS steering button on the ground works fine, so I know the physical button is not broken.

Yup confirmed on my end as well. I usually toggle between TWS and RWS to break lock.

Yup confirmed on my end as well. I usually toggle between TWS and RWS to break lock.

Hmmm, I'll go try it one more time in both A/A and A/G undesignate and if still not working, I'll report it as a bug. Thanks.

Just a quick hint as this happened to me: Check that you haven't set that button to any of the VR functions in the "UI Layer" bindings. Those seem to override the module bindings.

EDIT: Ah, sorry, just a quick correction. I didn't notice that the button does work for NWS. As in that case this can't be the problem.

Edited by PitbullVicious

i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz | MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX3090 24GB | 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus ROG Strix Z390-E | Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card | Virpil T50CM2 base w/ F/A-18C / A-10C / Virpil T50CM2 Grip | WinWing Super Taurus Throttle | MFG pedals | TekCreations Hornet UFC, Landing Panel, Right Console | WinWing Hornet Combat Ready Panel | Buddy Fox UFC | Foxx Mount | 3 x TM Cougar MFD | HP Reverb G2 | Wacom Intuos S (with VRK) | Honeycomb Alpha Yoke | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | CH Fighter Stick Pro & Throttle | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR 5 | Oculus Rift CV1

善く戦う者は、まず勝つべからざるを為して、以て敵の勝つべきを待つ。

Sounds like you might be experiencing confusion when trying to undesignate in TWS/LTWS, I'm not sure if it's realistic but currently LTWS acts like TWS in that undesignate will step through targets. To reset the radar and remove any L&S cues, press RSET on the right hand side of the radar page.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Hmmm, I'll go try it one more time in both A/A and A/G undesignate and if still not working, I'll report it as a bug. Thanks.

I don't think it is a bug. On the ground, pull up HSI and press WPDSG, designating any waypoint as target (same time upper right TGT button gets boxed). Now press pinky (by default S, or your WH stick pinky button. If box disappears from TGT button, then button is indeed OK, just something probably changed in RDR switchology that you didn't follow up on since (no pun intended).

If you can't undesignate the way I described, then it is a bug indeed, and sorry for my suspecting...

At least I didn't experience any problem with undesignate button or function, I just tried for you...

Oh, sorry, Switwin9s might as well have the solution...

Edited by Razor18

It's fixed. It was indeed working fine for NWS but would not work to undesignate in either A/A or A/G. So I went into controls, cleared the current map button and then just added the button again to the same place exactly as it was before and it's working fine now. No clue why it was FU before, but this seemed to fix it. <shrug>

It's fixed. It was indeed working fine for NWS but would not work to undesignate in either A/A or A/G. So I went into controls, cleared the current map button and then just added the button again to the same place exactly as it was before and it's working fine now. No clue why it was FU before, but this seemed to fix it. <shrug>

undesignate now works in TWS/RWS to unlock targets????

Yes, I can now drop the lock like normal. I had to clear the command on the undesignate/NWS line in the DCS controls setup and then just remapped (added) it back to the same button. Works fine now.

• 2 years later...
23 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

I cannot deselect already locked target by pressing the Undesignate Button. Does this "bug" still persist, or am I missing something?

In RWS as well as in TWS mode.

The Undesignate button will step the L&S designation through ranked track files (provided no track file is designated as DT2, otherwise it will swap L&S and DT2). To completely clear the L&S, press RSET.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

On 4/25/2020 at 7:21 PM, Dagger71 said:

On 4/25/2020 at 6:44 AM, Swift. said:

I'm not sure if it's realistic but currently LTWS acts like TWS in that undesignate will step through targets

Undesignate in RWS, VS, or TWS (not spotlight) will invoke L&S stepping (create L&S if it doesn't exist, swap DT2 & L&S if DT2 exists).

In STT, STT RAID, Spotlight, or ACM conditions (BST, AACQ, VACQ, or WACQ) undesignate will return to search or exit the ACM condition.

As far as I'm aware, this is already correctly implemented in DCS, although I almost never use Spotlight or STT RAID (and we don't have VS)

One tip: Instead of pressing RSET to drop a designation, select BST, GACQ, then AIM-120 (or AIM-7). This will not only drop all designations, but also reset your radar to your radar presets that are set to your weapon, while it does require a couple more actions, it ends up being a lot faster and reliable since it's HOTAS'able. It's practiced real world, especially after a skate and preparing to reattack.

Edited by MARLAN_

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

On 8/4/2022 at 6:23 PM, MARLAN_ said:

Undesignate in RWS, VS, or TWS (not spotlight) will invoke L&S stepping (create L&S if it doesn't exist, swap DT2 & L&S if DT2 exists).

In STT, STT RAID, Spotlight, or ACM conditions (BST, AACQ, VACQ, or WACQ) undesignate will return to search or exit the ACM condition.

As far as I'm aware, this is already correctly implemented in DCS, although I almost never use Spotlight or STT RAID (and we don't have VS)

One tip: Instead of pressing RSET to drop a designation, select BST, GACQ, then AIM-120 (or AIM-7). This will not only drop all designations, but also reset your radar to your radar presets that are set to your weapon, while it does require a couple more actions, it ends up being a lot faster and reliable since it's HOTAS'able. It's practiced real world, especially after a skate and preparing to reattack.

Would this still be true if you set a DT2 in STT? Or would undesignate step to the DT2? (or L+S for that matter if it's different from the STT target.

6 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

Would this still be true if you set a DT2 in STT? Or would undesignate step to the DT2? (or L+S for that matter if it's different from the STT target.

I'm not aware of any way to set a DT2 while in STT. Undesignate in STT, STT RAID or Spotlight should return to search.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.