FPS drops to 30 and locks at 30

I have a problem only in this game to where my fps will plummet to 30 and stay there until I oddly look up at the sky to refresh it back to 60.

Seems as if the fps dips below 55 it just plummets to 30 and sticks there for some reason. It's super annoying especially in a dogfight. It did not used to do this and I'm not sure what's going on now.

I have an AMD Vega 64 32gb 3600mhz ram an i56600k 4.5ghz, use track it and play at 4k and I also play with vsync on

Well if you have VSync on it should be locked at 60FPS?? What is the refresh rate of your Monitor maybe @4K it is only 30hz?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I play all of my games at 4k 60.

Only in this sim if the game starts drawing buildings or trees it plummets and locks to 30 then I look at the sky and it shoots back to 60 and it will randomly drop back to 30 for me to have to reset it by looking at the sky.

It plummets to 30 because your system can't coop with the demanded 60.

It shoots back up to 60 if you look at the blue sky because besides the blue sky there is nothing to draw or see. It's not more complicated then that.

BTW, 4k = 4 x 1920x1080. You need +/- 4 times the computer power of one 1920x1080.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

My issue is that it never used to do that and that there is literally no reason for it to.

I'm not talking about the frame rate being in the 30s hovering around I'm talking about it actually locking at 30. There is no 30-40-40-50-55-60 it just plummets to 30 and stays there at exactly 30.

That's what Vsync does. It's 60, unless you can't reach 60, then it's 30. It locking at 30 means your framerate is somewhere between the two. ''No reason for it to''. Yes, there is. It means you're not reaching 60. That's your reason.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

As it stands in April 2020 there's no such thing as a single-card solution that can play high-end games, at maximum settings, in 4K at 60fps. Technology just isn't to that point yet.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

That's what Vsync does. It's 60, unless you can't reach 60, then it's 30. It locking at 30 means your framerate is somewhere between the two. ''No reason for it to''. Yes, there is. It means you're not reaching 60. That's your reason.

What? Since when does vsync decide between 30 or 60 fps?

If you press ALT+ENTER the frame rate sits between 30 and 60. There seems to be an issue where it's locking to a windowed framerate.

• 4 months later...

I'm having the same problem again and I thought I'd completely gotten rid of it on my new machine three months ago by running a process called debloating my machine. It completely got rid of it and the frame rate was as smooth as silk. The problem has come back and it has something to do with Brother Printer company remote logging into my machine and trying to figure out why I my printer stop working or a windows update. They wanted to charge me $100 to reinstall some Frame work and I said no and when he logged out I loaded DCS and all the stuttering was back. I don't know if it had something to do with the software he tried use to remote into my PC. I uninstalled his software from my pc, but its still stuttering very badly. I have windows updates turned off. Maybe he forced and update or maybe some service got started in the background, all I know is DCS is unplayable again and I don't know how to fix it.

This computer has a very high CPU Ryzen 9 3970X, RTX 2080TI video board and 128 MB of Ram with M.2 drives and liquid cooled. The machine is custom built by Digital Storm. I really thought this machine would be fast enough not to have any problems with DCS or DCS not have any performance problem with this machine. When I first got the system it took three weeks with the help of another user to help fix the stuttering.

If anyone has any ideas what might be causing this stuttering going from 60 FPS down to 30 FPS and back up every second I could use some help. I heard of other users having this same issue so I thought I'd reach out again.

Looking for help.

Thanks,

Feetwet

Edited by Checkmate

• 1 year later...

I started getting stuck at 28-35 FPS in DCS with no changes to my system or settings...why????????

Today, I tried selecting the preset LOW settings for low-end PC and got the same FPS results.

Anyone else notice this over the past 2 weeks?

Edited by JUICE-AWG

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Flappie@Urban-Fighter Thanks for the Tips...I did however find the cause.  I'm now rocking at 144 max to mach my monitor capabilities and with everything ultra I'm getting 70-120 FPS almost everywhere, one every map...HAPPY PILOT now!

A few weeks ago, Nvidia GeForce Experience Updated and it either added new settings that absorbed my old defaults or it reset the settings to restrict FPS to around 30.  Either way, I fixed Nvidia Control Panel and then amended my DCSOpenBeta\Config\graphics.lua file to maxfps 144 and the machine is purring again!

Cheers,

17 hours ago, Urban-Fighter said:

Are you using any 3rd party hard-/software like Winwing or Helios? Had a quite similar problem with the Winwing-Software.

I thought about that...I added my first Winwing product for Xmas (Takeoff Panel) and over last weekend, I added iUFCExport for Hornet UFC/Viper ICP with my iPad...but I didn't find anything that supported others having issues with those.  As you probably saw in my post below, it was GeForce Experience Update that appeared to stagnate the FPS.

Thanks

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes...better yet, I'll post a video of everything in order I did to fix it!  And, I may have found a tip for VR users as well!  (in about 1-2 hours) Just getting my teen out the door for school!
JUICE

On 1/19/2022 at 4:30 AM, Urban-Fighter said:

Are you using any 3rd party hard-/software like Winwing or Helios? Had a quite similar problem with the Winwing-Software.

I thought about that...I added my first Winwing product for Xmas (Takeoff Panel) and over last weekend, I added iUFCExport for Hornet UFC/Viper ICP with my iPad...but I didn't find anything that supported others having issues with those.  As you probably saw in my post below, it was GeForce Experience Update that appeared to stagnate the FPS.

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 1/20/2022 at 11:55 AM, JUICE-AWG said:

HERE WAS MY FIX!

I’m not sure why you would see an FPS boost making those changes. Obviously when the frame rate limiter is set to Off it’s not doing anything and therefore your fps would be unlimited.

And Low Latency Mode has to do with device input lag afaik and not frame rate. 
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/guides/system-latency-optimization-guide/

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

💡HI EVERYONE, FULL DISCLOSURE, I'M FIGURING OUT THESE FIXES AT MY BEST PACE AND WANT TO SHARE SOME EXCELLENT INPUT/CLARIFICATION FROM ALL THE WONDERFUL COMMENTS WE'VE RECEIVED ON THIS VIDEO. SEE THE POINTS BELOW: 1) GLOBAL SETTINGS TAB WILL MAKE CHANGES TO ALL YOUR APPS/GAMES AS FAR AS GRAPHICS GO. THANKS TO @Pedro SIMULATIONS FOR ALERTING US ON THAT. I AM GOING BACK THROUGH MY SETTINGS ON GLOBAL AND ADJUSTING WHAT AFFECTS EVERYTHING, AND SETTING UP SPECIFIC DCS SETTINGS IN THE "PROGRAM SETTINGS" 2) NON-NVIDIA USERS - DISREGARD THIS VIDEO!!!! AMD USERS REFER TO YOUR FREE-SYNC INSTRUCTIONS. 3) G-SYNC AND FREE-SYNC VS V-SYNC - THANKS TO @Jesse Skeens FOR THIS POINT. G-SYNC AND FREE-SYNC ARE NVIDIA'S AND AMD'S GRAPHICS MANAGING PROGRAMS (RESPECTIVELY) AND YOU HAVE TO HAVE A CAPABLE MONITOR TO USE THAT INTERNAL FEATURE. IF YOU USE THOSE SETTINGS, YOU DON'T NEED TO USE V-SYNC OR EVEN CHECK THAT IN DCS WORLD. IF YOU DON'T HAVE EITHER OF THOSE, YOU MAY USE V-SYNC BUT SEE THE NEXT POINT BELOW. 4) EDITING YOUR GRAPHICS.LUA FILE IN DCS FOLDER - THANKS TO @Solidsnake and @Phil Burnham FOR CLARIFICATION INPUT ON THIS ONE. CHANGING YOUR GRAPHICS.LUA FILE WON'T IMPROVE YOUR FRAME RATES, IT ONLY LIMITS IT TO WHAT YOU HAVE SET TO AVOID SCREEN TEARING. IF YOU ARE RUNNING G-SYNC, FREE-SYNC, OR SIMPLE V-SYNC, IT WILL JUST LIMIT YOUR FRAMES TO THE VALUE SET, USUALLY TO YOUR MONITOR REFRESH (ALSO HERTZ) RATE. DCS WORLD DEFAULT maxfps SETTING IN THE LUA WAS 180...SO EVEN THOUGH I AM USING G-SYNC WITH MY MAIN MONITOR AND THE ONLY ONE IF USE FOR DCS, I JUST SET THE LIMIT TO MY MAX REFRESH RATE OF 144. WHAT YOU CHOOSE IS UP TO YOU AND DEPENDS UPON YOUR SPECS. 5) THANKS TO @TERENCE WHITE FOR REMINDING US THAT UPDATES TO NVIDIA STUFF AFFECTS OUR SETTINGS!

On 1/21/2022 at 10:47 AM, SharpeXB said:

I’m not sure why you would see an FPS boost making those changes. Obviously when the frame rate limiter is set to Off it’s not doing anything and therefore your fps would be unlimited.

And Low Latency Mode has to do with device input lag afaik and not frame rate. 
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/guides/system-latency-optimization-guide/

Hey SharpeXB, the one thing that changed my FPS from those settings was turned off by an Nvidia Update, it was set to hold 30FPS which is what myself and others experienced until we turned it on.  This is  where you get the value of the setting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@JUICE-AWG I’ll just point out again that the setting you see in NCP for max frame rate is the value for when it’s set to On. When this is turned off, obviously it has no function. In the video you seem to imply that this is somehow still changing your frame rate in the background which it can’t do if it’s off. Your performance must have changed for some other reason. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 2

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

8 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

@JUICE-AWG I’ll just point out again that the setting you see in NCP for max frame rate is the value for when it’s set to On. When this is turned off, obviously it has no function. In the video you seem to imply that this is somehow still changing your frame rate in the background which it can’t do if it’s off. Your performance must have changed for some other reason. 

Copy that...I found it strange that when I turned it on, the slider was on 30 exactly.  Then I moved it to 144 and magic!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

30 minutes ago, JUICE-AWG said:

Copy that...I found it strange that when I turned it on, the slider was on 30 exactly.  Then I moved it to 144 and magic!

Good to see you got it fixed, it’s always a relief when stuff starts working again 😁

• Like 1

i personally noticed yesterday that the latest nvidia driver 511.23 had a few little differences than what i had before. i think it was 471.41. like for example the top most setting in the driver from last August showed "Image Sharpening" whereas the latest has "Image Scaling". may be a good idea to check your settings.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

have you tired turning that background limit fps back to off and checking your dcs game to full screen and seeing a difference? personally im using g-sync so im forced to use full screen w/ playing any game for the best performance.

• Like 1

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.