Is it worth it to get VR for this game? If so which headset do you recommend?

Stickman

Hey guys, just wondering about people's thoughts on VR in this sim.

I just recently jumped back into it after not playing for over a year. I have a 4k qled Monitor and track ir and it's really enjoyable but I've never used VR and sometimes wonder how it is in this game in particular.

What specs of a PC would you need? Which headset do you recommend? What is the detail like? Would I still be able to see aircraft and read well enough to justify it?

VR is, quite literally, a game changer. It's a totally different experience to flying on a standard screen even if you have something like TrackIR. Once you get used to the fact you can't see the outside world for those times that you might need to, it becomes a much more natural way to fly.

My only complaint is how my VR headset is a lot blurrier than a standard screen which makes reading some of the MFDs more difficult.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

I look forward to replies from users. From what I understand from reading here is that VR doesn't have detail as panton41 says. I believe it also needs more computer power vs a screen. I am only slightly interested. I fly right here in the living room and, if my wife says something I quick hit pause. Not sure I'd even know she said something using VR but that pause makes for a lot less of her being unhappy because I am there but not available. Her being happy means I can fly more w/o resentment.

@stickman - I would recommend it but you will need a fast CPU like an 8700k or 3700 and at least a 1080ti or higher card to drive the game with decent resolution and without stuttering. You can get away with lower, but then the quality and experience will also lower.

Headsets are all personal choice. Rift S is probably the best for the money, but then spend the money on a better GPU that you save in buying that headset. I've heard the reverb is also good.

I also agree with Panton41 - its not crystal clear, but the immersion is amazing. I would def never go back to flat screen.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

@stickman - I would recommend it but you will need a fast CPU like an 8700k or 3700 and at least a 1080ti or higher card to drive the game with decent resolution and without stuttering. You can get away with lower, but then the quality and experience will also lower.

Headsets are all personal choice. Rift S is probably the best for the money, but then spend the money on a better GPU that you save in buying that headset. I've heard the reverb is also good.

I also agree with Panton41 - its not crystal clear, but the immersion is amazing. I would def never go back to flat screen.

I'm putzing along quite happily in a R5 3600 and 1080 (non TI) on a CV1 @ 1.5PD with decent visuals. Would I like a 1080ti or better, sure...but it's not worth it for my budget. :D

I normally suggest you find a friend with VR and experience it. But that's out the door right now.

The reason I say that is that VR is something you cannot experience from videos. If you try and watch a recording of someone in VR you can really understand what he sees. The point of VR is the depth it's the sense of scale. Which does not exist at all in Flatlandia.

I can only offer one thing. It's a 3+ years old clip i made for my quadron mates. Just to get the hang of VR.

It is ment to be viewed with google cardboard. (Or similar type gizmos).

It is not representative of current DCS visual quality (which has been improved greatly). Nor the FOV of an actual VR goggle (video is much wider FOV). Nor it is indicitive of my current level of flying... Nor sure I'm much better, but I'm not that ;) this video was ment only to show the 3d ness of VR.

Word of causion. It will make you nauseous. Because you will see the POV move, while your head is still (this doesn't happen of you actually wear the headset).

I'm with VIve on 8700K w/GTX1080.

I've also did quite a bit on rifs S on 8700(nonK) w/1070.

VR is more demanding then Screen. But with the right settings (VR preset with shadows off) even a 1070 is fair game.

Edited by uri_ba

My specs are 2080ti, i7-7700k OC'd to 4.9GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD for DCS. Using the Oculus Rift CV1. I have pixel density all the way at 2 and the other settings set to High-Ultra High and am able to have a fairly lag free experience in MP. In SP it runs like butter.

How do you click the cockpit switches in VR? Do you have a glove or something on your finger that makes a virtual finger work them?

This is what I use...https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3607054&postcount=1

My grandson has a problem with heights . He had no problem flying on a flat screen , but the one and only time he flew in my VR (free flight in the hornet at 8k) , he ripped the headset off literally within a second . That should tell you something about how immersive vr is .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I can't understand why the image quality on VR, is much lower

I give an example here : my 55 inches 4k tv has 80 dpi, which is identical with an 28 inches full HD monitor

80 dpi isn't a lot of ppi. The image quality is much lower than a 32, 38 inches 4k monitor

That's why I'm so confused : how much lower could the image quality on VR be, compared to 80 ppi ??

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

VR with even the very best desktop setup, will not equal DCS at 4K on a flat screen. No VR headset can match that and likely will not be able to for at least ~ 3 to 7 years (bc it seems probable that the Ampere release RTX 3080 Ti will be only ~50% better than the 2080 Ti, and that will not be enough to push a native 4K resolution at 60 Hz in any VR headset). The best resolution a typical home user can currently push is with the HP Reverb using an Intel 9900K CPU, 32 GB of RAM and a RTX 2080 Ti (or Titan RTX if you are filthy rich), which will give you roughly 1080 P levels of quality in the cockpit. You will have slightly below that resolution when looking out the canopy bc of ASW and ghosting. If you crank everything up to the highest levels and fly with MSAA at 2x, you will be in the low 30s FPS. Except when fighting a good opponent online in multiplayer, this is fine for me and most people but YMMV.

As to what you need roughly to power VR headsets at various levels:

LOW Specs - Intex 4XXX CPU, 8 GB RAM, 1070 (You can get away with a 1060 GPU with the older headsets)

MEDIUM - Intel 7XXX, 16 GB, 1080 (Can use the Rift S at lower to medium settings)

HIGH - Intel 8700, 9700 or 9900, 32 GB, 2080 Ti, 2080 Super, 1080 Ti (You will need a 2080 Ti to power the HP Reverb or Valve Index at higher levels)

EXTREME - No such setup yet exists. There is no graphics card out yet that will allow the Reverb to be run at true 60 Hz and highest settings. We can make a guess though and say it will be something like a system that is running a RTX 4080 Ti card. (Or if ED, VR manufacturers and Nvidia ever decide to enable SLI support for DCS, it could be two RTX 3080 Ti's)

Finally, is it worth it to play in VR? .... Hell yeah. Once you go to VR, you will not be playing on a monitor again quite likely. Much more immersive and life like.

I've been running 2x Nvidia 1080Ti 11g cards SLI'd since 2017 when I bought my high end machine. I even run it in VR SLI'd. When I de-couple them. The game runs less smooth. As soon as I re-enable SLI. It improves drastically. So, moral to this story. You can run DCS with SLI. I'm proof.

System: Samsung 65" 4k Curved, Obutto Revolution Gaming Seat, Alienware Area-51 - Intel Core I-7 6950X 10 Core, Dual Nvidia 1080Ti 11g, 64g Fury Ram, 8TB HD, Warthog Flight Controls, Crosswind Pedals, HP Reverb G2, VKB Gunfighter Pro.

DCS Mods: A-10A/C, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, F-5E, F-86F, P-51D, L-39, UH-1, SA342, Mi-8MTV2, Mig-15, Mig-21, Bf-109, Fw190D-9, FC3

Black Shark Den

Aurelius, that's what I mean

If Reverb would have the 1080p ( 28, 56 inches screen ) image quality, I'll order it right now, but I'm affraid, Reverb doesen't get close even to 60 dpi - screen

Edited by Lenux

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

You can run DCS with SLI. I'm proof.

I thought, DCS doesen't support SLI

Loving my Rift S. Works great no muss, no fuss. I use earbuds with it as I do not care for the audio strap it,

Have not gamed on a monitor since first getting into VR in Jan 2017.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

VR certainly doesn't.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If you want pics, I can send them to you. I can bring up Nvidia panel with it SLI'd and run DCS and screenshot it while it's running if you really need to see proof.

System: Samsung 65" 4k Curved, Obutto Revolution Gaming Seat, Alienware Area-51 - Intel Core I-7 6950X 10 Core, Dual Nvidia 1080Ti 11g, 64g Fury Ram, 8TB HD, Warthog Flight Controls, Crosswind Pedals, HP Reverb G2, VKB Gunfighter Pro.

DCS Mods: A-10A/C, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, F-5E, F-86F, P-51D, L-39, UH-1, SA342, Mi-8MTV2, Mig-15, Mig-21, Bf-109, Fw190D-9, FC3

Black Shark Den

VR certainly doesn't.

That's funny, because I run my Pimax5k Plus with it SLI'd.

Black Shark Den

Loving my Rift S. Works great no muss, no fuss. I use earbuds with it as I do not care for the audio strap it,

Have not gamed on a monitor since first getting into VR in Jan 2017.

What do you think about my post # 18, dburne?

That's funny, because I run my Pimax5k Plus with it SLI'd.

You're kidding, right ?!

You're kidding, right ?!

Firing up my sim machine and will be sending pics shortly with both VR enabled and normal.

Black Shark Den

Okay, Guinness75, question : how is the image quality on your 65" 4k ( 68 dpi ) vs the Pimax 5k + ??